Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is Something Missing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Perhaps it's because it's in the midst of the dead zone.

Perhaps it's because I'm simply not as active on the board as I once was and maybe not reading as many threads as before.  Maybe I'm not the rabble rouser I once was.

But something seems different here.

Here we are, a month removed from the draft, and a month and a half away from training camp, and the board seems completely devoid of any major controversy.

Over the years, there have been major debates that have dominated Jag Nation that tended to dominate board discussion-even through the dead zone.

BL vs. DG.

Did Gene Smith reach on Alualu and could he have traded down? 

BAP vs. Need.

Tebow or not Tebow.

MJDs holdout, incident at the Conch House.

If nothing else, TMD's skeptical takes would be enough to rankle the board masses engage in skirmishes.

But when I look around the board now...nothing.  The boards two most notorious "bad guys" (for want of better phrasing-not an indictment on them as people), TMD and Krayz, have wholeheartedly applauded this draft class and this offseason as a whole.  I've seen more people on this board agree with TMD in the last month than I have over the course of several years combined.

To me, it seems the only thing close to a board controversy is what to do with Blackmon.  Maybe whether Bortles should start sooner rather than later.  But compared to those other subjects, these barely even register. 

Did Bradley and Caldwell achieve the impossible and bring unity to the fan base with this draft?

Am I imagining this lack of dissonance?

Is the absence of a major controversy for board fodder a good or bad thing? 

Will training camp and the preseason see controversies develop?

We've become a jaded fan base. Before we glommed onto any change in the fervent hope that it signaled success. After being burned year in and year out, we've adopted a wait and see attitude. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the new regime and the draft too. But until I see real improvements worthy of hopeful and meaningful discussion, debate remains squelched.
The calm before the storm?

Wait until the first surprise cut and then we'll kick the tires and light the fires.

Must be the summertime blues.

I'm too busy sun tanning to overanalyze anything
Don't worry.  Turmoil is coming.  The usual suspects can't stand to be positive for too long.  It's not in their DNA.

It was like this early in Gene's tenure.

There's always a sense of optimism until things go wrong

Quote:It was like this early in Gene's tenure.

All it will take is for one thing to happen and they'll fall right back into their natural rhythm.
Quote:We've become a jaded fan base. Before we glommed onto any change in the fervent hope that it signaled success. After being burned year in and year out, we've adopted a wait and see attitude. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the new regime and the draft too. But until I see real improvements worthy of hopeful and meaningful discussion, debate remains squelched.
I can buy this, except that the overwhelming majority of posters here applauded the draft.  If everyone were jaded, the praise for the draft on this board would be minimal.  Unless you are indicating that the initial excitement surrounding the draft has worn out and fans are now in "show me" mode.
Quote:I can buy this, except that the overwhelming majority of posters here applauded the draft.  If everyone were jaded, the praise for the draft on this board would be minimal.  Unless you are indicating that the initial excitement surrounding the draft has worn out and fans are now in "show me" mode.

I think the excitement is still there, AND there is a "show me" expectation from the fans.  Based on turnout at any of the practices open to the public, the enthusiasm among all fans has hardly waned. 

What you're missing right now on the board will return the first time something bad happens.  They're on call waiting for that to happen so they can pounce.  Enjoy the quiet.

I'm waiting till preseason starts.

Quote:I'm waiting till preseason starts.

We are all awaiting your in depth analysis!
Quote:It was like this early in Gene's tenure.

I agree there was overall optimism, but there was still disagreement then (the first offseason), specifically over the wisdom of trading a 2 the next year for Derek Cox.  That disagreement persisted for a while.

By this time in Gene Smith's tenure (year 2), the controversy was over Tyson Alualu, whether the team reached for him, whether there was the opportunity to trade down, whether we should have taken Tebow, etc.  Even though many remained optimistic, the chorus against Gene Smith began to grow.

TBH I'm not sure if this is optimism based or not.

It could be...but there are reasons to think otherwise too.
I hated the draft!!!! There dum!!!!

(Is that better?)
Quote:I hated the draft!!!! There dum!!!!

(Is that better?)
That doesn't sound terribly sincere.

Quote:I hated the draft!!!! There dum!!!!

(Is that better?)

I don't know.

That's a question that underlies my original post.

Is this board better when there are no major contentions/debates?
Quote:I agree there was overall optimism, but there was still disagreement then (the first offseason), specifically over the wisdom of trading a 2 the next year for Derek Cox.  That disagreement persisted for a while.

By this time in Gene Smith's tenure (year 2), the controversy was over Tyson Alualu, whether the team reached for him, whether there was the opportunity to trade down, whether we should have taken Tebow, etc.  Even though many remained optimistic, the chorus against Gene Smith began to grow.

TBH I'm not sure if this is optimism based or not.

It could be...but there are reasons to think otherwise too.
Shack and Gene were so terribly aweful that it warranted fans posting about it, and the Yeah sayers would argue with them saying everything's fine, it'll all be okay, Byron Leftwich and David Garrard are hall of fame QBs type of stuff... when it was obivious to most people that the team lacked real talent.

I think the lack of arguing and debate is from (at least at this point as far as anyone can tell) GM Dave Caldwell doing a great job in personel management.
Quote:Perhaps it's because it's in the midst of the dead zone.

Perhaps it's because I'm simply not as active on the board as I once was and maybe not reading as many threads as before.  Maybe I'm not the rabble rouser I once was.

But something seems different here.

Here we are, a month removed from the draft, and a month and a half away from training camp, and the board seems completely devoid of any major controversy.

Over the years, there have been major debates that have dominated Jag Nation that tended to dominate board discussion-even through the dead zone.

BL vs. DG.

Did Gene Smith reach on Alualu and could he have traded down? 

BAP vs. Need.

Tebow or not Tebow.

MJDs holdout, incident at the Conch House.

If nothing else, TMD's skeptical takes would be enough to rankle the board masses engage in skirmishes.

But when I look around the board now...nothing.  The boards two most notorious "bad guys" (for want of better phrasing-not an indictment on them as people), TMD and Krayz, have wholeheartedly applauded this draft class and this offseason as a whole.  I've seen more people on this board agree with TMD in the last month than I have over the course of several years combined...

I'm still having a few people that can't help themselves but to hate...read over the Sanders on the roster bubble thread. I wasn't even negative in that one. 
Quote:I'm still having a few people that can't help themselves but to hate...read over the Sanders on the roster bubble thread. I wasn't even negative in that one. 
I havent read a majority of your post, and I dont agree with everything you say but I couldnt figure out why so many posters hated on you for stating your view points.  I think it was a bit of mob type bullying to scare way anyone that conflicts with the regimes propaganda.  If you are afraid of others opinions and cant debate with supporting facts of your view point, well than I feel sorry for you. 

Post on, haters will hate.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5