Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ESPN ranking Jaguars roster at the bottom 5 in the NFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The question many Jacksonville Jaguar fans are asking is has my favorite team improved during the offseason.

The message board is filled with hope, and praise of GM Dave Caldwell's free agency bargain picks,

and bargain draft selections.  The media has praised the Jaguars for the same bargains so it seems a bit confusing that ESPN

has ranked the Jaguars roster for this year as one of the worst in the NFL despite the new pickups.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/i...l-32-teams

Sure the Jaguars finished with only 4 wins, (2 by sweeping the leagues worst team, Texans & splitting a win with Titans) towards the end of the season when neither of those teams had any playoff chances and of course the team lost the famous spokesman Maurice Jones-Drew to the Raiders in free agency but everyone stated that picking up backup Toby Gerhart from the Vikings was  a great move in hopes of replacing the aging MoJo trying to prove himself in Oakland.

The team kept the same QB that many said had to go but did draft the QB of the future in Bortles (though the team said he will not start this season). The team addressed the WR issuse with 2 second round picks even though both are currently injured.

The team picked up a great guard with Beadles but failed to address the Center position or Guard (even though they drafted a center towards the end of the draft.)

What do you think as far as the current roster, has it improved enough in the offseason that ESPN shouldve had it ranked much higher like the middle of the pack? Or do you agree with their assesment if not feel that the team shouldve been lower?

Sounds about right to me.
Quote:Sounds about right to me.

I second that.
no surprise here

We were among the bottom last year and we cant say for sure the rookies are improvements just yet. So as it stand YES we are among the worst again UNTIL the rookies prove otherwise.
The team still has a lot of development and rebuilding to do. While we all like the first three picks in this year's draft it's not realistic for them to be big difference makers this season, and the Jaguars don't have anyone that an outsider would see as a difference maker returning from last season.

The team is going to be bad, not as historically bad as it was last year, but when you're still starting one of the worst QBs in the league and don't have an impact pass rusher it's hard for anyone to imagine you're a team that's not contending for another early draft pick.

We still have a ways to go to get the talent on the field we want; however, I don't agree that we have a bottom 5 roster anymore. I'd say that with the talent we've picked up that we're probably closer to 'middle of the pack' now. I do realize that in addition to ESPN's blurb about the team 'Vegas has picked the Jag's to finish last this season. I kind of wonder how much influence the 'Vegas pick had to do with ESPN coming out with it's prediction. It seems strangly inconsistent for the media to praise the Jags on the one hand for having such an excellent draft and then to turn around and say we've got a bottom 5 roster. Or maybe it's just me.....

Quote:The question many Jacksonville Jaguar fans are asking is has my favorite team improved during the offseason.

The message board is filled with hope, and praise of GM Dave Caldwell's free agency bargain picks,

and bargain draft selections.  The media has praised the Jaguars for the same bargains so it seems a bit confusing that ESPN

has ranked the Jaguars roster for this year as one of the worst in the NFL despite the new pickups.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/i...l-32-teams

Sure the Jaguars finished with only 4 wins, (2 by sweeping the leagues worst team, Texans & splitting a win with Titans) towards the end of the season when neither of those teams had any playoff chances and of course the team lost the famous spokesman Maurice Jones-Drew to the Raiders in free agency but everyone stated that picking up backup Toby Gerhart from the Vikings was  a great move in hopes of replacing the aging MoJo trying to prove himself in Oakland.

The team kept the same QB that many said had to go but did draft the QB of the future in Bortles (though the team said he will not start this season). The team addressed the WR issuse with 2 second round picks even though both are currently injured.

The team picked up a great guard with Beadles but failed to address the Center position or Guard (even though they drafted a center towards the end of the draft.)

What do you think as far as the current roster, has it improved enough in the offseason that ESPN shouldve had it ranked much higher like the middle of the pack? Or do you agree with their assesment if not feel that the team shouldve been lower?

Bargain draft selections? What does that even mean?
Quote:Bargain draft selections? What does that even mean?
Pretty sure he means steals
Quote:We still have a ways to go to get the talent on the field we want; however, I don't agree that we have a bottom 5 roster anymore. I'd say that with the talent we've picked up that we're probably closer to 'middle of the pack' now. I do realize that in addition to ESPN's blurb about the team 'Vegas has picked the Jag's to finish last this season. I kind of wonder how much influence the 'Vegas pick had to do with ESPN coming out with it's prediction. It seems strangly inconsistent for the media to praise the Jags on the one hand for having such an excellent draft and then to turn around and say we've got a bottom 5 roster. Or maybe it's just me.....

Who's roster is worse, though?
You can only do so much in one offseason.  We were bad, now we are not as bad.

Caldwell took over the worst roster in the league. You can make improvements and still be the worst roster in the league.

The path he took to buiild the roster back up was the long term route. He chose to build through the drat and modest free agent additions. 

This really is no surprise.

Quote:Caldwell took over the worst roster in the league. You can make improvements and still be the worst roster in the league.

The path he took to buiild the roster back up was the long term route. He chose to build through the drat and modest free agent additions. 

This really is no surprise.

Additionally he could only build from what was available.

I can't think of someone he's missed out on taking so far.

It's not like Andrew Luck or Randy Moss were available in the 2013 draft, and I think he did really well with the 2014 draft, too. Still, none of the guys taken this year will probably be immediate impacts.
Not sure what some of you might have expected that 4 letter network to say?...

I'm not sure our roster is bottom 5, but I'd agree that its bottom 1/3 rd. 

As another stated, you can only fix so much each offseason. 

Its getting there. 

You can tell someone that you're better until you're blue in the face.. With a track record like the Jags have had, people are going to want to actually see results before believing it.. 

Quote:You can tell someone that you're better until you're blue in the face.. With a track record like the Jags have had, people are going to want to actually see results before believing it.. 

Can't argue with this.

True.

Word.

Yepper.

Why does he say we failed to address the guard position?  Linder is slated to be our RG.

I'm not shocked to see that now, but I would be a year from now.

It's still a team coming off a 4-12 season.  Until they prove otherwise on the field, they're going to justifiably be ranked where they are by ESPN. 

Quote:Bargain draft selections? What does that even mean?
Sorry I meant steals in that not many people understood why WR Marqise Lee fell out of the 1st and so far down into the 2nd and getting Robinson late in the 2nd, along with CB Aaron Colvin a possible late 1st to top 2nd round talent taken in the 4th knowing he's injured this year.
Quote:Why does he say we failed to address the guard position?  Linder is slated to be our RG.

I'm not shocked to see that now, but I would be a year from now.
Luke (if healthy, while being injured during his rookie year and playing RT is very green) is expected to still be good at LT this season,

Zane Beadles has lived up to the hype according to HC Gus at LG, Center is still a guess but expected to be Brewster, Paztor proved himself to be a solid RT at the end of last season but Linder is a rookie fighting for that RG (which Gus indicated is up in the air)...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5