Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who would you trade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Caldwell likes having his excess of draft picks.  Now that we've gotten a glimpse of the roster, assuming you were the GM wanting more picks for the next draft, who would you trade, why, and for what? 

The only position, in my mind, that we have trade'able depth would be at wide receiver.  Shorts would be my candidate for trade, as the draft delivered 2 starting caliber receivers.  I don't see Shorts as a good candidate in the slot playing routinely over the middle with his concussion history, and Sanders can fill the role well.  Although I like to discount Blackmon from discussion, but if he does return sometime in the future, Shorts value is further lessened.  He's got only one year left on his rookie deal, and likely considered a #2/3 guy by most teams, so his trade value would likely be a modest 4th-5th round pick.          

Quote:Caldwell likes having his excess of draft picks.  Now that we've gotten a glimpse of the roster, assuming you were the GM wanting more picks for the next draft, who would you trade, why, and for what? 

The only position, in my mind, that we have trade'able depth would be at wide receiver.  Shorts would be my candidate for trade, as the draft delivered 2 starting caliber receivers.  I don't see Shorts as a good candidate in the slot playing routinely over the middle with his concussion history, and Sanders can fill the role well.  Although I like to discount Blackmon from discussion, but if he does return sometime in the future, Shorts value is further lessened.  He's got only one year left on his rookie deal, and likely considered a #2/3 guy by most teams, so his trade value would likely be a modest 4th-5th round pick.          

I wouldn't trade Shorts. Marcedes comes to mind, although I doubt anyone would take on that contract.
All you could get for Shorts is a 4th maybe a 3rd, not worth it..

My take is keep them all because why we can't be like the 2000's colts or 2013 broncos with our receiving core. Let our qb have all the weapons he can get and the only way you trade short's if its clear he's doesn't want to resign here like eugene monroe. 

I'm not sure we have that many trade-able commodities. Outside of guys who have been with the team less than 2 years, Lewis and Poz have contracts that are too big and Paztor and Brewster have no depth behind them. Pretty much everyone else is new.

Branch probably isn't worth anything unless he improves, in which case he becomes too valuable to cut anyway.

I wouldn't trade Shorts for anything that isnt a crazy offer until we have seen what Lee and Robinson can do. Of course in a situation where Lee and Robinson leapfrog Shorts, his value plummets anyway, so may as well keep him.

If Henne plays at an 85 QBR level, he might be worth something later in the season, but if he is playing that good do we want to drop him? I'd guess not.
Quote:All you could get for Shorts is a 4th maybe a 3rd, not worth it..

At first a lot of us thought the 4th + 5th wasn't going to be worth it for Monroe...

Quote:My take is keep them all....

Yep, I was waiting for the first one of these to come down the pike. 

If I was in the Jaguars position,  I wouldn't trade Cecil Shorts III for less than the equvilent of a 2nd Round pick.   Shorts could easily be needed this season or in a future season.  

Marqise Lee is coming off his final season with USC in which he had an assortment of injuries.   The significant concern I had with Lee as an NFL prospect , who was

being projected as a top 10 to 25 pick,  was whether his size could be an issue in the NFL regarding the durability factor.   The Jaguars were able to draft Lee with pick # 39,  which was a major bargain spot.    Hence,  the decision to draft Lee has very good risk/ reward.   However,  having proven depth at WR is important,  especially in a case like this.

Allen Robinson recently suffered a hamstring injury.   While Robinson should be fine if the proper cautions are taken,   it's a reminder that a team is only a play away from needing depth.

Another factor worth considering is if Shorts is kept,  having a 3 way rotation with Lee,  Shorts,  and Robinson should keep all of them more fresh over the course of the long seasons.

Being that the Jaguars are in excellent shape salary cap wise,   they should be able to re-sign Shorts at a price that makes sense for both parties.   

Quote:If I was in the Jaguars position, I wouldn't trade Cecil Shorts III for less than the equvilent of a 2nd Round pick.

^ This.

I'd consider trading him for a really good value, such as what you mentioned. Anything less would not be worth it, just IMO.
Quote:If I was in the Jaguars position, I wouldn't trade Cecil Shorts III for less than the equvilent of a 2nd Round pick. Shorts could easily be needed this season or in a future season.

Marqise Lee is coming off his final season with USC in which he had an assortment of injuries. The significant concern I had with Lee as an NFL prospect , who was

being projected as a top 10 to 25 pick, was whether his size could be an issue in the NFL regarding the durability factor. The Jaguars were able to draft Lee with pick # 39, which was a major bargain spot. Hence, the decision to draft Lee has very good risk/ reward. However, having proven depth at WR is important, especially in a case like this.

Allen Robinson recently suffered a hamstring injury. While Robinson should be fine if the proper cautions are taken, it's a reminder that a team is only a play away from needing depth.

Another factor worth considering is if Shorts is kept, having a 3 way rotation with Lee, Shorts, and Robinson should keep all of them more fresh over the course of the long seasons.

Being that the Jaguars are in excellent shape salary cap wise, they should be able to re-sign Shorts at a price that makes sense for both parties.

The voice of common sense has arrived. Thank you D6.
If I could get Jerruh to panic about losing Sean Lee and give up a high pick for Poz I'd do it.

I like Poz a lot, but I am also eager to see Reynolds get on the field more. I really like the idea of the upgraded speed and athleticism at LB. And if it doesn't work out and Poz is sorely missed,then you draft his replacement next season. Which I have a feeling we would do either way, and in this scenario we may have an extra 2nd round pick to do so with.
Quote:If I could get Jerruh to panic about losing Sean Lee and give up a high pick for Poz I'd do it.

I like Poz a lot, but I am also eager to see Reynolds get on the field more. I really like the idea of the upgraded speed and athleticism at LB. And if it doesn't work out and Poz is sorely missed,then you draft his replacement next season. Which I have a feeling we would do either way, and in this scenario we may have an extra 2nd round pick to do so with.

Thats an interesting idea...

What do you think the highest "panic" value we could get for Poz from the Cowboys?
I'd say a 2nd. But Jerruh is a bit of a wildcard, as he does what he wants, often sans common sense.
Players I'd be open with trading:

Cecil Shorts - His value is slightly inflated right now. Deal em' for a 3rd

M. Lewis - I'd take a dog bone for this waste of a roster spot.

A. Branch - Ascending player but has a ceiling. Id take anything above a 5th for him.

T. Alualu - Average. Decent depth. I'd take a 6th or higher.

Paul Poz. - Gimme a 4th or higher for him

J. Babin - Any pick.

Quote:Players I'd be open with trading:

Cecil Shorts - His value is slightly inflated right now. Deal em' for a 3rd  Agree

M. Lewis - I'd take a dog bone for this waste of a roster spot. Agree

A. Branch - Ascending player but has a ceiling. Id take anything above a 5th for him.  Disagree. Need to get more than that.

T. Alualu - Average. Decent depth. I'd take a 6th or higher.  Agree

Paul Poz. - Gimme a 4th or higher for him Disagree. Need to get more than that. 

J. Babin - Any pick. Won't fetch anything via trade. He's 34. 

JMO's. 
Quote:If I could get Jerruh to panic about losing Sean Lee and give up a high pick for Poz I'd do it.

They don't have the cap to take on Poz's contract.
Hey TMD what problem you had with me saying they need to keep all our good wr? 

No need to trade anyone at this time. A lot can happen between now and August.

Would Monroe have been traded had the Joeckel injury happened 2 weeks sooner? Maybe, but who can say.

Same reason not to shop anyone right now. Plus, another team may find themselves thin due to injury at a later date, which can drive up the price for a trade. Right now, values are about as low as they get.

Quote:Hey TMD what problem you had with me saying they need to keep all our good wr? 

Probably because it spits in the face of value. Imagine if we tried to deal MJD after the season in which he got the rushing trophy? Free late 2nd or high 3rd rounder. What did we get from him the next 2 seasons? Not crap because he got old and injured. Shorts is just simply a great opportunity to increase value of the roster by adding a 2nd day pick.

Smart GM's trade players a year or two away from a player totally falling apart stats-wise (poz?) and players that are about to be buried depth chart wise by ascending youth on the roster (cecil shorts)

Quote:Hey TMD what problem you had with me saying they need to keep all our good wr? 

I just find the "i don't want to trade anyone" canned responses in threads that specifically are asking the question "what players to trade", lame. 
Quote:Probably because it spits in the face of value. Imagine if we tried to deal MJD after the season in which he got the rushing trophy? Free late 2nd or high 3rd rounder. What did we get from him the next 2 seasons? Not crap because he got old and injured. Shorts is just simply a great opportunity to increase value of the roster by adding a 2nd day pick.

Smart GM's trade players a year or two away from a player totally falling apart stats-wise (poz?) and players that are about to be buried depth chart wise by ascending youth on the roster (cecil shorts)

I agree with points made above. 
Pages: 1 2