Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If all Caldwell's acquisitions pan out do we have a SB caliber offense in 2015?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think we do. While center and right guard are still question marks moving forward, I see the rest of the offense as being more than capable of leading a playoff charge in 2015, if they all pan out. Joeckel was viewed as a Joe Thomas-type prospect, Zane Beadles has been to a probowl, and hopefully Pasztor continues to improve and surprise, making for a solid foundation on the O-Line.

We've got potentially 4 really solid WRs. Lee and Sanders as our big play guy and both Robinson and Shorts acting as our security blanket and reliable guys. Both Lee and Robinson have potential to develop into 1000 yard receivers. A wide receiver corps like that is usually viewed as top tier in the league.

With Denard putting on more weight and apparently fixing his fumbling problem, I can see him being a speed back for us in a really versatile running back by committee with Gerhart and Johnson. I think Gerhart is going to surprise a lot of people and be a really good back, I can see him putting up 1200 yards or so this season given enough touches.

And of course if Bortles is the franchise QB we all hope him to be.

I mean, again assuming all pan out, that sounds like an offense that's every bit as good as any in the league right no at all level, we just have to fix the two question marks on the O-Line.
It is way too early to tell what the depth chart will look like at wide receiver in September. When Justin Blackmon was suspended four weeks, somebody said Ace Sanders will move from slot receiver or something like that, so he probably will be in that position while Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson complete for Blackmon's job.

My prediction for center is an open competition during training camp. I have no idea who is more likely to win that battle. The right guard must be Linder, obviously. I do not know another right guard to compete with him. So the question there is how good will Linder be?

We definitely will not have a Super Bowl caliber offense in just the first season with our franchise quarterback. However I think we are 20 games and one draft away from having a playoff-caliber offense.

It would depend on the type of qb Blake turns into. If he becomes more of a Aaron Rodgers type then yes. He will constantly make the game a track meet where some teams just cant keep up. On the other hand if he becomes a Matt Ryan or Big Ben then no. We would still need some type of defense to stall opposing offenses and generate more turnovers. 

Quote:It would depend on the type of qb Blake turns into. If he becomes more of a Aaron Rodgers type then yes. He will constantly make the game a track meet where some teams just cant keep up. On the other hand if he becomes a Matt Ryan or Big Ben then no. We would still need some type of defense to stall opposing offenses and generate more turnovers. 

Fact: Ben Roethsliberger won more Super Bowls than Aaron Rodgers. He also is the player Blake Bortles was most often compared to before the draft.
Quote:Fact: Ben Roethsliberger won more Super Bowls than Aaron Rodgers. He also is the player Blake Bortles was most often compared to before the draft.

You made his point for him. Big Ben won his SB's with a turnover-minded defense. He's going to extend plays, force balls where they shouldn't go, and expose himself to turnovers in the process. Last year was a good example of Ben not having a quality defense around him, and they missed the playoffs altogether.
Quote:You made his point for him. Big Ben won his SBs with a turnover-minded defense. He's going to extend plays, force balls where they shouldn't go, and expose himself to turnovers in the process. Last year was a good example of Ben not having a quality defense around him, and they missed the playoffs altogether.

Most young quarterbacks struggle during their first year. Blake will have some ups and downs in 2015. I think 2016 is a more realistic estimate for returning to the playoffs.
Quote:Fact: Ben Roethsliberger won more Super Bowls than Aaron Rodgers. He also is the player Blake Bortles was most often compared to before the draft.

Fact: Bears. Eat. Beets.
What's that SUPERBOWL??? Don't talk about Superbowl??? You kidding me??  Superbowl? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

Greatest postgame  interview ever.

Quote:I think we do. While center and right guard are still question marks moving forward, I see the rest of the offense as being more than capable of leading a playoff charge in 2015, if they all pan out. Joeckel was viewed as a Joe Thomas-type prospect, Zane Beadles has been to a probowl, and hopefully Pasztor continues to improve and surprise, making for a solid foundation on the O-Line.We've got potentially 4 really solid WRs. Lee and Sanders as our big play guy and both Robinson and Shorts acting as our security blanket and reliable guys. Both Lee and Robinson have potential to develop into 1000 yard receivers. A wide receiver corps like that is usually viewed as top tier in the league.With Denard putting on more weight and apparently fixing his fumbling problem, I can see him being a speed back for us in a really versatile running back by committee with Gerhart and Johnson. I think Gerhart is going to surprise a lot of people and be a really good back, I can see him putting up 1200 yards or so this season given enough touches.And of course if Bortles is the franchise QB we all hope him to be.I mean, again assuming all pan out, that sounds like an offense that's every bit as good as any in the league right no at all level, we just have to fix the two question marks on the O-Line.

At this time of year, everyone in the entire NFL thinks that if their team's draft picks pan out, they have a Super Bowl caliber team.

Try to remember how bad this roster was last year.
Quote:I think we do. While center and right guard are still question marks moving forward, I see the rest of the offense as being more than capable of leading a playoff charge in 2015, if they all pan out. Joeckel was viewed as a Joe Thomas-type prospect, Zane Beadles has been to a probowl, and hopefully Pasztor continues to improve and surprise, making for a solid foundation on the O-Line.We've got potentially 4 really solid WRs. Lee and Sanders as our big play guy and both Robinson and Shorts acting as our security blanket and reliable guys. Both Lee and Robinson have potential to develop into 1000 yard receivers. A wide receiver corps like that is usually viewed as top tier in the league.With Denard putting on more weight and apparently fixing his fumbling problem, I can see him being a speed back for us in a really versatile running back by committee with Gerhart and Johnson. I think Gerhart is going to surprise a lot of people and be a really good back, I can see him putting up 1200 yards or so this season given enough touches.And of course if Bortles is the franchise QB we all hope him to be.I mean, again assuming all pan out, that sounds like an offense that's every bit as good as any in the league right no at all level, we just have to fix the two question marks on the O-Line.

Why stop there? Dare I say it? Greatest assembled roster of all time.
Yes.

If the Jaguars go to the Super Bowl, Caldwell's picks will pan out.
Quote:It is way too early to tell what the depth chart will look like at wide receiver in September. When Justin Blackmon was suspended four weeks, somebody said Ace Sanders will move from slot receiver or something like that, so he probably will be in that position while Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson complete for Blackmon's job.
Huh? Sanders is not starting over either of them. What's more likely is that Robinson and Shorts battle it out for the x spot and they go with Shorts to start off because he has more experience and Robinson eventually takes his place. Robinson will be the starting x, Lee is already penciled in as the starting z, and Shorts will move more permanently to the slot and will be moved around from there and x and z depending on match-ups. Sanders will focus on kick returns and will be our WR4 in the slot on heavy passing downs.

And for the record, the most equipped to take Blackmon's job out of all the receivers is Robinson hands down.

The comparisons to Roethlisberger are overplayed. They compare him because he's big and athletic and can extend plays, but the way they do it is slightly different and Bortles's arm talent is also different than Roethlisberger's, as well as the way they play in the pocket. In terms of the ceiling of his arm talent and play style Bortles is closer to Romo and Aaron Rodgers than Roethlisberger.
I think the Jaguars' weakness in 2015 will be the run defense and free safety.

I expect us to address free safety and the middle linebacker positions early in next year's draft though. They're the most glaring holes on the defense and the strength of next year's draft is defense.
Quote:I think the Jaguars' weakness in 2015 will be the run defense and free safety.
I highly doubt our weaknesses will be on the defensive side of the ball
Quote:At this time of year, everyone in the entire NFL thinks that if their team's draft picks pan out, they have a Super Bowl caliber team.

Try to remember how bad this roster was last year.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh......

I remember this time of year,  The Period before the "DEAD ZONE"...........The "DELUSION ZONE"!

Where the slightest reason for wildly optimistic forcasts based on your darft class is self feeding, a contagion, an infectious strain that is thoroughly innoculated by week 3 when the depressive naysayers and negnancies proffer semi-articulate reasoning for sacking the entire staff.

It is OK to have high hopes, reality has a way of tempering these rather quickly.

HeadSlap
Quote:I highly doubt our weaknesses will be on the defensive side of the ball
Free safety and middle linebacker will definitely be weaknesses if they're not addressed next offseason. Nose tackle too.
Quote:Free safety and middle linebacker will definitely be weaknesses if they're not addressed next offseason. Nose tackle too.
Poz isn't a weakness and will still be in his prime in 2015. I'm pretty sure if someone doesn't emerge at FS this year it will be addressed in the offseason.

Gus has shown no hesitation about giving Gus the tools he needs on the defensive side of the ball
Quote:Free safety and middle linebacker will definitely be weaknesses if they're not addressed next offseason. Nose tackle too.
Middle Linebacker???

I... I...

Middle Linebacker?

Our middle linebacker is the best player on our entire team.
Don't jinx us Vino.

Pages: 1 2 3