Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ballmer to buy Clippers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"The Sterling family trust has signed an agreement to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer for $2 billion"

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story...ng-sources
Quote:"The Sterling family trust has signed an agreement to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer for $2 billion"

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story...ng-sources

2 Billion?? 

The 76ers only sold for a little over 300 MIL a few years ago....
Balmer was probably coked out when he made the deal. 

Quote:Balmer was probably coked out when he made the deal. 

HA, agreed. 
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8M6S8EKbnU[/media]

Quote:2 Billion?? 

He had to pay for all that recording equipment too! :thumbsup:
Thank god it's not Oprah.. That franchise would be a complete joke with her at the helm.. 

Ballmer REALLY wants to be an NBA owner. This might've been his last opportunity, and the Clippers are a contender at that.

Quote:Thank god it's not Oprah.. That franchise would be a complete joke with her at the helm.. 

Or Magic Johnson....I still think he had a hand in setting up the old guy so he could try to get the team!
good for Ballmer. He will take care of that team and put them in a good position to stay as a top tier team. Nice little retirement gift for him.

Quote:He had to pay for all that recording equipment too! :thumbsup:

Haha, good point. 
The Clippers profit better skyrocket so he can turn a profit.  I get that this is like a toy for him, but he sucks as a business man.

Quote:The Clippers profit better skyrocket so he can turn a profit.  I get that this is like a toy for him, but he sucks as a business man.

sucks as a business man? he ran one of the biggest companies in the world for 14 years and is worth 20 billion dollars. He is number 32 on the Forbes 400. Pretty terrible....
Quote:The Clippers profit better skyrocket so he can turn a profit.  I get that this is like a toy for him, but he sucks as a business man.

Yes, Steve Ballmer sucks as a business man. What the heck are you talking about?

On a side note, 2B seems a little steep for an NBA franchise, even if it is in LA. Heck, the Bucks sold for 550m just this year. To put it in perspective, the Cowboys are worth 2.5B and that is WITH the stadium. He may have overpaid, but he is worth 20B and won't even notice the money missing from his account this morning.
Ballmer sucks as a businessman?  He's worth more than $20 billion.  Yeah, he sucks. 

Considering the fact that the NBA is 2nd tier to the NFL, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the Buffalo Bills asking price after this little deal. 

Quote:Ballmer sucks as a businessman?  He's worth more than $20 billion.  Yeah, he sucks. 

Considering the fact that the NBA is 2nd tier to the NFL, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the Buffalo Bills asking price after this little deal. 

Seems the dream to that appeared to die last week of bringing an NFL franchise to L.A. has suddenly risen again.
Quote:Ballmer sucks as a businessman? He's worth more than $20 billion. Yeah, he sucks.

I would like to also suck as a business man. I wonder how much money good business men make?
Quote:Ballmer sucks as a businessman?  He's worth more than $20 billion.  Yeah, he sucks. 

He doesent suck, but to a certain extent I agree with Diesel.

He was forced out at Microsoft because their Mobile (Smartphone) Division has been stuck at number 3 (behind iOS, and Android) with only a 5-10% market share for the last 3-4 years. He stayed on way too long after the damage was done with the lost sales in mobile going to the 2 leaders, and their other divisions suffered as a result.

With the way the mobile technology world is going especially with people moving away from the traditional PC, and onto to the tablet and smartphones. Microsoft has struggled mightily in this area, which is why they are making a slow migration from selling PC's to just focusing on their software, and gaming (XBOX) platform. 

Their Surface Pro tablets are a good product (My job gave some out to us to try out for a few months) but Microsoft has not put any major resources (apps and consistent software updates) into this and their mobile devices.

It also dosent help that they still carry a nasty reputation by some app developers as being too restrictive on their platform.

Quote:2 Billion?? 

He over payed, simple as that.

Somehow I dont think Ballmer paying 2 Billion will not automatically increase the value of all the NBA franchises unless the National TV contracts increase in value.

Pages: 1 2 3 4