Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is the greatest Jaguar ever?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Elliot Harrison asked this question about all 32 teams, divided by conference. Here is our part of the AFC article:

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"><b>JACKSONVILLE <a>JAGUARS</a>: Jimmy Smith, wide receiver</b>

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Tough call, here. Tony Boselli was dominant, but he didn't play long enough. Keenan McCardell was a model of consistency, but he was never truly dominant. Fred Taylor's 11,271 rushing yards for the franchise, meanwhile, are tough to dismiss. Yet, with apologies to Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew, Smith's résumé is simply impossible to ignore. Former Eagles coach Rich Kotite once told the guy he would never make it in the NFL. Smith responded by racking up nine -- NINE!! -- 1,000-yard seasons in Jacksonville. With 862 receptions to his name, Smith's easily the most prolific pass-catcher in Jags history.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">I hate the crap about Tony Boselli not playing long enough. He retired early because of injuries, not performance, so I don't think it should be counted against him. But to call him better than both Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor would be hard because there are few statistics for left tackles. I agree it is a tough call among those three.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Do you agree or disagree with Harrison?

I remember watching Jimmy Smith in that 1994 preseason that Kotite above said those things about him....

Funny, Smith didn't really put up much in the way of stats that pre season, but I remember thinking to myself - this guy is going to be a good player in this league....and just showed what a moron Kotite was. 

I'm sorry... But, Fred's 11,271 yards are not just tough to dismiss. They're impossible to dismiss. Fred was not only the best player this franchise has ever seen, he's also the greatest ambassador this team has ever had. That award would probably go to Boselli, had he not been met with so many injuries. 

At best, Jimmy Smith would be third on the list, IMHO.

Fred.

As much as I want to say Jimmy I have to say FRED
It isn't unfair to say Boselli's career wasn't long enough.

Taylor's yardage can't be dismissed either.

But, as time goes by, his view that Jimmy is worthy of being in the discussion as the greatest Jag ever does have it's merits.

I think from a fans perspective, it's time to consider Jimmy for the Pride. Yes, the off the field stuff has tainted it for him, but he is still a tremendously popular player with long standing Jaguar fans, and his numbers are more than deserving. The guy is a main character in many of the greatest highlights in franchise history.

Greatest Jag ever? Maybe. Top 2 or 3? Absolutely.
It's always Bosselli to me, as he was the best player to ever put on a Jaguars uniform by a significant margin.    Not a particularly long career, at least  by offensive tackle standards, but seven years is not a ridiculously short career with a team.   It's basically getting a player through his first and second contract and letting him walk in free agency before his 3rd contract when his production won't match his salary (wish the Jags could have done that with Henderson)  He played long enough to make it to 5 Pro Bowls and 3 first team All Pro teams.      More All Pro teams than any other Jags players with their longer careers.  

A good case can be made for Boselli, Taylor, and Smith. I have no problem with anyone putting one over the other.

In my opinion, the best is Fred. He was the finest runner I've ever seen in person, and their were plays where he'd be met yards in the backfield and still be able to pull off positive gains. 

I think the real debate starts when you rank the 4th, 5th, and 6th players in team history.

1. Boselli (Best player at his position in NFL)

2. Taylor (Arguably most explosive Jaguar, my favorite)

3. Smith (5 straight Pro Bowls, production/longevity)
How many times was Bowman signed?  That's gotta count for something.

Jimmy Smith was just so fun to watch.

Fred for me

How many people can do this to Troy P. at 1:40.  and 3:50 one of my favorite runs.

http://youtu.be/70nyjdQMhSo

Quote:Fred for me

How many people can do this to Troy P. at 1:40. and 3:50 one of my favorite runs.

With all due respect to Fred. Troy Polamalu consistently whiffs.
Jimmy Smith is one of the top 15 greatest receivers of all-time. Doesn't surprise me that he's listed as the greatest. His numbers speak for themselves.

Mark Brunell. Where's the love for the greatest Jaguar QB of all time?
Quote:Mark Brunell. Where's the love for the greatest Jaguar QB of all time?

In London with his comments.. 
hmmm... Let me think...

J-Smooth deserves to be in the Pride of the Jaguars. Let's start up a movement and get this thing done. Quite honestly I would love for the team to give him an assistant coaching position to help him along as well as to help develop our young stud wr's.
Quote:Mark Brunell. Where's the love for the greatest Jaguar QB of all time?

The question is who the greatest player at any position was. Mark Brunell was a very good quarterback for us, but a backup everywhere else.
Quote:The question is who the greatest player at any position was. Mark Brunell was a very good quarterback for us, but a backup everywhere else.

You're out of your mind. 

Mark Brunell wasn't the best at what he did, but there were times when it looked like he was. By no means was he the greatest Jaguar ever, but he was certainly a starting-quality Pro-Bowl QB. 
Boselli was dominant, but his career was ended by a fashion statement.  I think he bought those tiny shoulder pads on the Kotex aisle at Walgreens. 

Pages: 1 2 3