Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Friday we needed a new QB.   Today, maybe not so much? 

Friday we needed to draft another pass rusher.   Yesterday, it seemed like we got some good pressure on the QB.

Friday we needed to fire the entire coaching staff.   Today, I'm feeling like, do we already have our next HC? 

The team that showed up yesterday is not a 2-12 team.   The team that showed up yesterday has the look of a playoff team.  Yesterday's game has changed my entire outlook on the offseason.   Granted, it looked like Tennessee came out flat.  But still, when a team comes out flat, you're supposed to clobber them.   And that's what we did.   Just like a real NFL team.   Not a team in need of a substantial overhaul, but rather, a team that needs to stay the course and continue building. 

It's hard to say, what is reality.   Is the team that showed up yesterday for real?   If so, does that change our offseason strategy?  Based on the team that showed up yesterday, my offseason strategy would be, spend our top draft pick on a CB to go opposite Ramsey.   Invest heavily in the offensive line.   Get a good RB in the draft.   Ramsey is shutting down one side of the field.  Imagine if we could shut down the other side of the field.  Yeldon is kind of average and Ivory is fumble prone and injury prone.  And when in doubt, beef up the offensive line. 

Has your offseason strategy changed based on this one game?  As in, Friday, we needed to do A, B, and C,  but now, not so much, now we need to do D, E, and F?    What were you thinking before the game, and what are you thinking now? 
We're on to Indianapolis.
Quote:Friday we needed a new QB.   Today, maybe not so much? 

Friday we needed to draft another pass rusher.   Yesterday, it seemed like we got some good pressure on the QB.

Friday we needed to fire the entire coaching staff.   Today, I'm feeling like, do we already have our next HC? 

The team that showed up yesterday is not a 2-12 team.   The team that showed up yesterday has the look of a playoff team.  Yesterday's game has changed my entire outlook on the offseason.   Granted, it looked like Tennessee came out flat.  But still, when a team comes out flat, you're supposed to clobber them.   And that's what we did.   Just like a real NFL team.   Not a team in need of a substantial overhaul, but rather, a team that needs to stay the course and continue building. 

It's hard to say, what is reality.   Is the team that showed up yesterday for real?   If so, does that change our offseason strategy?  Based on the team that showed up yesterday, my offseason strategy would be, spend our top draft pick on a CB to go opposite Ramsey.   Invest heavily in the offensive line.   Get a good RB in the draft.   Ramsey is shutting down one side of the field.  Imagine if we could shut down the other side of the field.  Yeldon is kind of average and Ivory is fumble prone and injury prone.  And when in doubt, beef up the offensive line. 

Has your offseason strategy changed based on this one game?  As in, Friday, we needed to do A, B, and C,  but now, not so much, now we need to do D, E, and F?    What were you thinking before the game, and what are you thinking now? 
I think I have moved RB higher up on my list of priorities.

Given the proper scheme and a good OL, Ivory can run the ball effectively.  But I don't think he can be counted upon to protect the football.

I would still prioritize the OL.  Clearly we need an upgrade at LG and RT at minimum, and we need improved depth across the board.

Assuming Thomas is gone, we need a TE or two.

Though I like the way Amukumara has played this year, I could see him leaving, and I thought about having another shut down corner opposite Ramsey.

SS is still in need of upgrading too.
Now, we see if they can follow up... Stay the course.. 1 game doesn't make up for the other 12 we lost.. To me the hook is still in the water..Glad to see the jags win one ...Merry Xmas!
Let's see what happens next Sunday before we pass judgement on that.

Yesterday was sweet, I hope we can play like that again in 7 days time.
Play like that again against the Colts and I consider keeping Marrone Wash Hacket and Caldwell together to see how they do in 2017. If 2017 is a shame I can them all.
Fair topic. Bortles perplexes me. It's like he came out of a season-long funk yesterday. Smiling, TALKING to teammates other than ole Hen, morale was high all around. He played like the baller we thought he could be. What is his 2017 role and how does that impact the Jags moving forward? By far the question of the off season.
Quote:Fair topic. Bortles perplexes me. It's like he came out of a season-long funk yesterday. Smiling, TALKING to teammates other than ole Hen, morale was high all around. He played like the baller we thought he could be. What is his 2017 role and how does that impact the Jags moving forward? By far the question of the off season.

The good thing is, this is Bortles' 3rd season, so he is under contract for next year, and if we pick up the 5th year option, that's 2 more years to figure out if we have to give him the big contract or not.  As of today, I would  for sure pick up the 5th year option.   I think it's worth the risk, and if he has a good year next year, and we haven't picked up the 5th year option, we will have to break the bank to re-sign him, with the risk that he'll decide to go into free agency.   So, definitely we need to pick up that 5th year option.  I want that extra year of evaluation with the chance to negotiate at the end of year 4 without a gun to our head. 
My thoughts goes a little something like this.

Originally, I felt that BB5 was the issue and not Bradley. His play was deteriorating to the point of is he really the face of the franchise? Marrone stated that we the Jaguars continue to believe in BB5 regardless of most fans wanting to bench him. Including me. I'll admit when I'm wrong when I'm wrong. According to Saturday's performance, BB5 isn't going to be benched. Marrone and Caldwell, so far was right w/respect to the shuttle changes and BB5's performance. It was much needed.

I'm not sold on Marone being our next HC because all he did was take Bradley's team and tweek it. Will his tweeking be sustainable for the next ten pus years let alone the next game? We need that "It Factor", whatever/whomever It Is...

NH3...
Quote:Play like that again against the Colts and I consider keeping Marrone Wash Hacket and Caldwell together to see how they do in 2017. If 2017 is a shame I can them all.

Yes.  Friday I was like, fire everybody, fire all the coaches and get a new QB.   Now, I'm like, keep Blake, keep the coaches, and draft that big RB from Texas.  Totally changed. 

Quote:The good thing is, this is Bortles' 3rd season, so he is under contract for next year, and if we pick up the 5th year option, that's 2 more years to figure out if we have to give him the big contract or not. As of today, I would for sure pick up the 5th year option. I think it's worth the risk, and if he has a good year next year, and we haven't picked up the 5th year option, we will have to break the bank to re-sign him, with the risk that he'll decide to go into free agency. So, definitely we need to pick up that 5th year option. I want that extra year of evaluation with the chance to negotiate at the end of year 4 without a gun to our head.

Indeed Marty. I was more so wondering is he going to be the starter in 17? If so, would it be a real upward incline or a here-and-there output, which would be a waste, with 5th year option moot. Or, would they bring in a new guy, which changes the overall texture of the O, and again 5th year becomes a non issue. How much trust do the Jags have in Bortles to man the ship in 2017? Prime order of business for the incoming staff. Are you looking for an upgrade or competition? Uncertainty at QB is not an enviable place to be in.
Quote:Fair topic. Bortles perplexes me. It's like he came out of a season-long funk yesterday. Smiling, TALKING to teammates other than ole Hen, morale was high all around. He played like the baller we thought he could be. What is his 2017 role and how does that impact the Jags moving forward? By far the question of the off season.

I don't see why it is so hard for people to see that bortles was tanking it in to get gus out of here

I watched my own miami hurricanes do the very same thing vs clemson last season in that 58-0 loss

If management has it's head up it's bad word removed, then someone else has got to do something to get the ball rolling
The next game is going to be very telling.

Depending on what happens in the next game it will change my views on the coaching staff. We may have the right trio as it stands today. As far as personnel. I agree with you. I'd like to see another top flight CB added to compliment Ramsey. But, with that said. I wouldn't mind seeing a top flight interior pass rusher added to help Jackson out inside and also give Fowler and Ngackoue more breathing room if possible. 

Offensively I agree man. I am ready to move on from Ivory and Yeldon already. Neither can stay healthy. Ivory can't protect the football. Yeldon just seems to have one gear and one gear only. I'd personally like to see us trade out of the top three if we end up seeing Myles Garrett and Johnathan Allen going 1 and 2 just in front of us. Trade down and go a head and take Dalvin Cook out of FSU. 

Next day in RD2 go for a QB like Pat Mahomes from Texas Tech or DeShaun Watson from Clemson and then hopefully with that extra RD2 or RD3 pick they beef up the offensive line with a top C or T to move Linder to LG and push Parnell out of his RT slot. But we need healthy competition behind Bortles. Henne poses no real challenge or threat. And with Allen sitting his rookie year that should give us a good, healthy mix during training camp and OTA's. 

What  now?  I am seriously considering just firing the HC after EVERY Jags loss and letting an interim guy coach the next game.

I've supported Blake all along, though I did and still do want a better backup/competition.

As for draft needs, really depends on FA, but a corner and pass rusher (best available round 1) then RB/OL. If one of the big name RBS is there in the second, take him or even trade back into the 2nd of one falls.
We win one game, KEEP EVERYBODY
Quote:We win one game, KEEP EVERYBODY

There was only one problem.
Quote:We win one game, KEEP EVERYBODY

Well you said yourself in the game day thread it's clear Gus was the problem.

I'm not advocating keeping everyone, hell I'm still not a huge Marrone fan, but had we played like that every week no one would complain with the staff
Quote:Play like that again against the Colts and I consider keeping Marrone Wash Hacket and Caldwell together to see how they do in 2017. If 2017 is a shame I can them all.

If we dominate the clots like the tacks.....I'd be pretty good with this.

Maybe, the team was just saying "we love gus" just to keep a face on things when really they were aching to be rid of him as well.

They sure responded to Doug Marrone.

I think marrone is not afraid of doing what may have to be done with bortles

Pages: 1 2