Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2017 Jaguars Yardstick For Success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Expectations are fairly high for this team after the owner and front office made numerous changes and additions to enter into a "win now" phase of development. 

So - I ask you fellow fans exactly what this new regime and young team must achieve in order for you to consider this current staff "successful" in their management of the team? 

If your answer doesn't appear in the poll - let us know where you stand. 

(I'll be pretty disappointed with less than 8 wins, personally.)

I voted win the division. They have to believe that if Bortles comes in showing improvement that they have as good as a chance as anyone in winning this division. Not only is the competition in the division weak, but man does the schedule look tasty at this juncture in the offseason. Defense has a chance to be really good if the offense can give them a chance to be (TOP, reduced TO's, and scoring points). They don't want it to all be on Blake's shoulders, but it is kinda the reality that you just don't have success without a decent QB.
Gotta get at least 8 wins. Been too long since we sniffed .500.
I'm going by the strictest definition of your chosen wording and voting 9 wins. I'm not sure you can call a season a "success" without a winning record unless you somehow win the division at .500 or below which is a rare occurrence for a team to do. I could see using the word "content" to describe a season at 7-9 or 8-8, but to be considered successful let's win more games than we lose and then build from there.
I chose 8, but there's more than a number here (as it typically is.)

If we get 8, and it's an "easy" 8, there may be wins left on the field.  Maybe Blake doesn't improve and the contract expires, in spite of hitting .500 for the first time in a while we're clear we are making yet another change.  In that case, I'm not sure that will be a satisfying 8.  We may be calling it a "fluke" year instead.

If we get a "hard" 8, where there are some real evident struggles during the season but we string together some wins at the end and look like it's something bigger to build on, especially if we're confident in our QB at season's end... that would be a much more encouraging 8.  We feel like we've earned it, QB is no longer a question, and things seem to be moving forward from all angles.

Other than record, I suppose it also comes down to how many questions are left unanswered, and which ones.

You know, if Tim Tebow and Brock Osweiler can get a playoff win...
I vote 9 wins or better. Just cannot consider it a success without a winning record IMO.

No vote, no #, I just miss having a regular NFL team that's not a laughing stock.

I know better than to specify a #

Apologies if I ruined the thread's premise

#MakeJagsAverageAgain

Seems to be enough to win the South
I'd say finish 2nd in the division or better.  1st if the other AFC South teams decide to really suck this year. 

Anything less than 7 wins though, and pink slips should be aplenty.

8 win would mean a 5-game improvement over last year, and a lon-losing record for the first time in a long time. It would also place them smack in the middle of the pack instead of being a perennial gutter dweller. WIth 8 wins I don't see how you could say that's not a success short of it not obtaining the ultimate goal of winning a SB.

I disagree. The expectations are not high at all.

EVERYBODY knows the season rides on Bortles. And if we're being honest, nobody is thinking he's gonna play like Aaron Rodgers.

He's a 2nd half stat stuffer as of right now.

7 wins
I voted for 8. But in retrospect 8 wins is a lot for Jags fans these days. 8 wins is uncharted territory, like deep space for this generation of Jaguar fans. Hard to comprehend and it is almost unbelievable to picture the Jags winning 8 games
Eight wins. Looking at our defense and an improved ground game with what we have in the receiving game. No excuses not to finish .500 this season. Our schedule isn't all that tough nor intimidating on paper this year.

The houston tinhorns still have a questionable QB situation. A sweep of them is not out of the question. We play the Ravens in London. We play the Jets. We play Cleveland. We play San Francisco. We play the L.A Rams and L.A Chargers. We split the series last year with the indianapolis clots and tennessee tacks. 

That's at least eight to nine contests that I see as winnable this year. Pittsburgh, Arizona (If, and only if Palmer is healthy), Seattle & Cincinnati are really the only four games I see on this schedule where we could get our butts handed to us.

But those are the games I look forward to the most since these teams typically flirt with a play-off spot or outright earn a play off spot on a yearly basis now. These would be the games where I'd go "Okay, they're on the cusp of being a play-off team in 2018" or "Yup, same ol', same ol', they still have a lot of work to do". 

But the rest of the schedule? Anything short of 8 - 8 in 2017 with a relatively clean bill of health on the roster? It'll be a let down. 

This is the NFL, every year the goal should be a Super Bowl win. But I will take 4 to 5 wins, we have been that bad.

Quote:This is the NFL, every year the goal should be a Super Bowl win. But I will take 4 to 5 wins, we have been that bad.

4 to 5 wins is unacceptable. Not with the talent that this team has on its roster. It's time for this team to establish itself as a contender. I'm not saying that they won't get only 4-5 wins. If it happens, that's on the staff for not making some better decisions.
I have the Jaguars going 9-7.  I have them splitting the 6 games against the division.  Then Wins: Ravens, Jets, Rams, Chargers, Browns, 49ers.  Loses: Steelers, Bengals, Cardinals, Seahawks.  I put 8 wins as a success since there are going to be some surprises on the Jags schedule, ie some teams will be worst then we thought and some much better.  

Quote:I disagree. The expectations are not high at all.

EVERYBODY knows the season rides on Bortles. And if we're being honest, nobody is thinking he's gonna play like Aaron Rodgers.

7 wins

He asked what it would take to be considered a successful year for the young team and new regime.
Quote:I disagree. The expectations are not high at all.

7 wins

Quote:He asked what it would take to be considered a successful year for the young team and new regime.

Yeah, JF24.  I'm not asking how many wins you think will happen.

I'm asking how many wins it would take for you to feel good about the current leadership of the team moving forward?  (meaning Coughlin, Caldwell, Marrone, Hackett, Wash) 

And yes, of course much of the record depends on Bortles, but this staff is clearly taking steps to mitigate the potential damage he may or may not cause. So I'm looking for what it would take for you to give the re-vamped front office and coaching staff a passing grade. 
The yardstick for success is 16 inches.

Pages: 1 2