Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Changing coaches mid season does nothing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I mean that has to be the dumbest thing I have heard people on this board say, and I have heard a lot of stupid things over the years.

Gus was a cancer to this team. Had we fired him a year ago or hell at the bye, this team would be competing for the afc south. Our owner is an absolute idiot for waiting this long.

Tell me again how firing a cancerous coach doesnt do anything for the team... smh
I don't know that I would use the term cancerous.  Incompetent, slack, loser, those all would apply to Gus, but not cancerous.  
What did you expect? you are pretty much in derpland

I defended Gus in year two.  

I questioned him in year three.

I was basically over it completely after the debacle vs. the bolts in week two of this season.

I was disappointed when a change wasn't made during the bye week. 

Bradley was part of the problem.

I'm not sure to what degree his being here was making Bortles play so miserably though, so I'll take today's victory with a teaspoon of salt in that regard. There have been plenty of losses this season that would have been wins if Bortles played like he did today... so... not exactly sure how much of that is on Bradley. 
No one said changing coaches during the season does nothing...historically the impact is minimal and one game isn't a magic turn around...The OC was allowed to get past page 2 of the playbook and the players are all aware with a new HC their jobs are all on the line...They responded well to the change but even with 1 more game, I'm not ready to call Marrone the miracle coach who turned the jags around but I certainly am not defending gus or bitter that he's gone

If we did this after thursday night game, we would be fighting for the division
Quote:If we did this after thursday night game, we would be fighting for the division
The from the 14 season right?
I've seen some seriously bad posts on here

Those are up there if not at the top

You realize fans pay to see this crapshoot? 

You realize how much those tickets cost?

You realize how far that drive is for some people?

You realize how much food and drinks cost at the stadium?

Everyone and their mom wants gus out and you'd rather sit on your bad word removed? 

Quote:No one said changing coaches during the season does nothing...historically the impact is minimal and one game isn't a magic turn around...The OC was allowed to get past page 2 of the playbook and the players are all aware with a new HC their jobs are all on the line...They responded well to the change but even with 1 more game, I'm not ready to call Marrone the miracle coach who turned the jags around but I certainly am not defending gus or bitter that he's gone

Not true, many here said it accomplished nothing... wether they admit it or not doesnt change that
To be stuck in the past, fruitless it is.

Hatred and bitterness, of the darkside are they.

Merry Christmas!

NFL history says hello.
Quote:I defended Gus in year two.  

I questioned him in year three.

I was basically over it completely after the debacle vs. the bolts in week two of this season.

I was disappointed when a change wasn't made during the bye week. 

Bradley was part of the problem.

I'm not sure to what degree his being here was making Bortles play so miserably though, so I'll take today's victory with a teaspoon of salt in that regard. There have been plenty of losses this season that would have been wins if Bortles played like he did today... so... not exactly sure how much of that is on Bradley. 
Wrong. They were unprepared and didn't execute.  Marrone didn't blame the refs for any Jaguars mistakes.  And didn't choke.   World of a difference. A blow out and winning feels awesome. 
The fact that only 1 interim coach has even gotten the HC job tells you changing coaches midseason is meaningless. And that coach, Jason Garrett, was being groomed anyway. So it was a rare case. Also, teams usually play well in their first game the with replacement coach. If Marrone had a full 8 games, I'd say we go 2-6 or 3-5 at best. Thankfully, this entire staff will be gone including the garbage interim coach. 

Quote:The fact that only 1 interim coach has even gotten the HC job tells you changing coaches midseason is meaningless. And that coach, Jason Garrett, was being groomed anyway. So it was a rare case. Also, teams usually play well in their first game the with replacement coach. If Marrone had a full 8 games, I'd say we go 2-6 or 3-5 at best. Thankfully, this entire staff will be gone including the garbage interim coach. 
Totally disagree. Your evaluation has no stats to prove that.  He was really impressive back in Buffalo.  And left because of personnel reasons. 
Quote:I don't know that I would use the term cancerous.  Incompetent, slack, loser, those all would apply to Gus, but not cancerous.  
His presence alone deteriorated this team's potential slowly but surely at the cellular level over the years. If that's not what cancer does then I'm white. PS: I'm not.
If we did it too early we might always be wondering "what if?" but now there's no doubt Gus had to go. Also, the announcers made a good point that sticking with Gus so long makes the job all the more attractive to prospective coaches as it shows strong loyalty from the owner.

Quote:Totally disagree. Your evaluation has no stats to prove that. He was really impressive back in Buffalo. And left because of personnel reasons.
No he wasnt lol. He went 6-10 and 9-7, his offenses were total garbage. All he had was a jim schwartz coached defense with a line that included marcell dareus, jerry hughes, mario williams, and kyle williams. They had something like 42 sacks that year. That wasnt marrone, that was Jim. Other than that there was nothing to speak of in his tenure.
Quote:The fact that only 1 interim coach has even gotten the HC job tells you changing coaches midseason is meaningless. And that coach, Jason Garrett, was being groomed anyway. So it was a rare case. Also, teams usually play well in their first game the with replacement coach. If Marrone had a full 8 games, I'd say we go 2-6 or 3-5 at best. Thankfully, this entire staff will be gone including the garbage interim coach. 
I tend to agree with this. We would have gotten this type of short term interim boost that happens all the time and we would have leveled back out after a couple weeks. Unfortunately we'll never know for sure since we made the move way too late in the season. Would have been nice to know for sure...
Quote:If we did it too early we might always be wondering "what if?" but now there's no doubt Gus had to go. Also, the announcers made a good point that sticking with Gus so long makes the job all the more attractive to prospective coaches as it shows strong loyalty from the owner.
I agree with the last point as being the only benefit of holding Bradley as long as we did.

o you mean how mularkey was interim head coach last year for titans then got the job?  oh ok, you are an idiot.. nuff said
Pages: 1 2 3