Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jeff Darlington reports multiple coaches and GM'S called DC after the Bortles pick to congratulate him
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All of those teams had Bortles rated as the top QB in the draft, and felt he wouldn't have lasted long if the Jags passed.

This somewhat confirms my suspicion from yesterday. There was an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer earlier this week that indicated the Browns were targeting BB's with the 4th overall pick, Cleveland immediately trading out of the 4th spot after Blake was selected gives that article some credibility. Bortles is a guy that is clearly valued in NFL circles, that's what matters. This is a big guy that flashes big time pocket movement while keeping his eyes downfield, athleticism, a high IQ, and natural leadership, almost more importantly, he elevated the level of play of every player on the UCF offense. Under the right tutelage, he could easily be one of the best QB's in the NFL.
Careful.  There are some very loud people on this forum who are going to let you know how loud they are in a few minutes.

Although I do agree with you.  BortlesKombat

Im warming to this pick.  The guy clearly has upside that is undoubted.

Similar to Gabbert though he needs to sit, and i honestly think DC will sit him.

However if he's starting week 1 I feel it was a complete wasted pick, they may aswel of drafted me #3 overall Smile

I do like his maturity etc that being said, he clearly is a smart guy and can move in the pocket. But in my opinion he doesnt go through his progressions well, he has a habit of locking onto his #1 choice.

Going off topic, after watching alot of his tape, 2 of his receivers stood out to me.

Rannell Hall and  JJ Worton, especially Hall, hes coming out next year and his currently rated like 41st of WR's coming out next year,  looking at his tapes he is definitely worth a late round pick, he reminds me of a taller Ace Sanders/DRob Mold (i think the dreadlocks had something to do with the Ace Sanders comparison slightly)
Quote:Im warming to this pick.  The guy clearly has upside that is undoubted.

Similar to Gabbert though he needs to sit, and i honestly think DC will sit him.

However if he's starting week 1 I feel it was a complete wasted pick, they may aswel of drafted me #3 overall Smile

I do like his maturity etc that being said, he clearly is a smart guy and can move in the pocket. But in my opinion he doesnt go through his progressions well, he has a habit of locking onto his #1 choice.

Going off topic, after watching alot of his tape, 2 of his receivers stood out to me.

Rannell Hall and  JJ Worton, especially Hall, hes coming out next year and his currently rated like 41st of WR's coming out next year,  looking at his tapes he is definitely worth a late round pick, he reminds me of a taller Ace Sanders/DRob Mold (i think the dreadlocks had something to do with the Ace Sanders comparison slightly)

Big time upside, but he (unlike Gabbert) has a decent floor as well, it's because of his pocket movement, willingness to deliver the ball while looking down the barrel, IQ, and work ethic. He has some mechanical flaws, primarily footwork, that can be coached up, pocket movement and toughness can't.
Quote:Big time upside, but he (unlike Gabbert) has a decent floor as well, it's because of his pocket movement, willingness to deliver the ball while looking down the barrel, IQ, and work ethic. He has some mechanical flaws, primarily footwork, that can be coached up, pocket movement and toughness can't.

This, he climbs up in the pocket when he gets pressured, not fall down in the fetal position like Gabbert. Even if he doesn't work out like we expect, I don't see him being a colossal bust like Gabbert was. 
Quote:This, he climbs up in the pocket when he gets pressured, not fall down in the fetal position like Gabbert. Even if he doesn't work out like we expect, I don't see him being a colossal bust like Gabbert was.

No not at all, noting like Gabbert. Blaine is actually a much better athlete, but can't feel or avoid pressure to save his life, that's an innate 6th/7th sense that seems to be god given.
I can't poopoo this pick. I was disappointed because I wanted the franchise to have some excitement. I was misguided a bit and was willing to risk it. But When I look at Bortles he seems to posses all the tools but more importantly the stones and composure in crunch time. It's not the flash I wanted but I hope this is a pick that saves the franchise from perennial disappointment. 

Quote:This is a big guy that flashes big time pocket movement while keeping his eyes downfield, athleticism, a high IQ, and natural leadership, almost more importantly, he elevated the level of play of every player on the UCF offense. Under the right tutelage, he could easily be one of the best QB's in the NFL.

Being delusional is awesome! It's easy for people to criticize professional athletes because they think it is EASY to do anything.  It isn't and they work tremendously hard to perfect even the little things.  That being said, most of them who do put all the effort in don't even make it to the top level.  So saying he can easily be the best in the NFL is highly delusional and quite frankly misguided.
Quote:I can't poopoo this pick. I was disappointed because I wanted the franchise to have some excitement. I was misguided a bit and was willing to risk it. But When I look at Bortles he seems to posses all the tools but more importantly the stones and composure in crunch time. It's not the flash I wanted but I hope this is a pick that saves the franchise from perennial disappointment.

You have to trust the guys that are spending thousands of hours evaluating these players, considering most teams seem to had him graded as the top QB, I feel we finally have our guy. He doesn't bring the pa-zazz of a Johnny Manziel, but it's about sustainability not splash.
Quote:Being delusional is awesome! It's easy for people to criticize professional athletes because they think it is EASY to do anything.  It isn't and they work tremendously hard to perfect even the little things.  That being said, most of them who do put all the effort in don't even make it to the top level.  So saying he can easily be the best in the NFL is highly delusional and quite frankly misguided.

Haha I'll try to use a different word next time, I hope this post is sarcasm btw.
Not a big fan of this pick.  None of the entries in our draft contest nailed Jaguar's unexpected pick. It was really shocking while I was covering the draft.

I don't think Blake Bortles was graded as high as Blaine Gabbert.  I can only hope everyone is wrong, and the team is right.
Quote:Not a big fan of this pick.  None of the entries in our draft contest nailed Jaguar's unexpected pick. It was really shocking while I was covering the draft.

I don't think Blake Bortles was graded as high as Blaine Gabbert.  I can only hope everyone is wrong, and the team is right.

lol ok
Quote:You have to trust the guys that are spending thousands of hours evaluating these players, considering most teams seem to had him graded as the top QB, I feel we finally have our guy. He doesn't bring the pa-zazz of a Johnny Manziel, but it's about sustainability not splash.
It's steak over sizzle.  Really love what this team is becoming!
Quote:Not a big fan of this pick.  None of the entries in our draft contest nailed Jaguar's unexpected pick. It was really shocking while I was covering the draft.

I have no idea whether he was or not, but I think it's safe to say that neither was Russell Wilson.
Quote:I don't think Blake Bortles was graded as high as Blaine Gabbert.  I can only hope everyone is wrong, and the team is right.

I love revisionist history. Blaine Gabbert was graded high (typically being slotted between  the 8th and 16th pick in the NFL draft) with Blake Bortles being graded just as high. Blaine Gabbert shows the struggles of finding a franchise quarterback early. Yesterday morning the news was that Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel's stock was falling, and Blake Bortles stock was rising, which was true. It is 50-50, and for Gabbert, it turned to the sour end of the split, the story won't be told for Blake Bortles for a few more years, but until then we have the hope that he will fall on the good side of the split. 
Quote:You have to trust the guys that are spending thousands of hours evaluating these players, considering most teams seem to had him graded as the top QB, I feel we finally have our guy. He doesn't bring the pa-zazz of a Johnny Manziel, but it's about sustainability not splash.

when have they proven to be worthy of trusting? thats the problem. i hope they got it right though. GO JAGS
Here comes the part where we start posting articles about other teams wanting him so the Jags had to pick him before they did.

However I think it's unnecessary because it's not really that shocking of a pick, not like the Alualu pick was at least.
OK, so on the surface it's not as exciting as Johnny Foosball.

Maybe Lindsey in the Pool will help even it out during games.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

HeadSlap

True, That's why I'm looking forward to tonight's picks because I hope we get some players that will be impact players from day one. 
Quote:I can't poopoo this pick. I was disappointed because I wanted the franchise to have some excitement. I was misguided a bit and was willing to risk it. But When I look at Bortles he seems to posses all the tools but more importantly the stones and composure in crunch time. It's not the flash I wanted but I hope this is a pick that saves the franchise from perennial disappointment. 
I still don't get all the excitement for Johnny Manziel. I call him Johnny Walker because he was too hung over to attend Manning's QB camp last offseason. That is a scary thing to me. If he will blow off a football camp because he got too hammered, is it that big of a stretch to think he would blow off other important things like practices, studying, or perhaps a game?
Pages: 1 2