Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Will Bortles pick grow fanbase in Central FL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am wondering if the pick of Bortles will pull some more Jag fans from that part of the state????    Heck... the local CBS might even want to show some home games to show off the local kid as a QB...   Especially if he does well.. I can see some movement up I-95 and US 301....

Who cares? i just want to win? If we were worried about fanbase we would of took JFF
Quote:I am wondering if the pick of Bortles will pull some more Jag fans from that part of the state???? Heck... the local CBS might even want to show some home games to show off the local kid as a QB... Especially if he does well.. I can see some movement up I-95 and US 301....

I'm sure of it..
No.... are there enough UCF fans that care enough to follow a player to the pro's?  I doubt it.

are you suggesting that UCF has fans? it won't do a thing unless he helps the Jags start winning

Lol, of course. UCF is in an uproar of excitement right now.
Bianchi has a column behind the GD paywall at the Sentinal  that suggests that it would...    I do agree that winning would help more but he seems to be a QB on a Florida college football team that has  NFL skills...   It is fun that he came to Jags games as a kid but stupid Vito's question about why he hadn't come in a few years was pretty obvious to me his answer...  I doubt you'll see any especially any college QB going to NFL games during the season and since UCF was in bowl games his entire career, he was busy working his craft..

As a UCF alum, I can tell you that the fanbase is very passionate. It's the second largest collegiate population in the country coming off their biggest season in school history. Blake also grew up right next to Orlando in Oviedo. Will there be a huge surge of fans coming from Orlando? No, but there will be more people at least paying attention to the Jags to follow the hometown kid. If they start winning, attention will develop into more than that.

I can tell you that I have already had several friends texting me that they want to join me at some Jags games this year.
I was impressed how many UCF fans went to Fiesta Bowl...  School has grown up from the commuter school it started as...  They were the #2 team in the state last year...
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...8866.story

UCF has a HUGE fansbase in Orlando. I think this move WILL sell tickets. I'll admit that much.

Quote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...8866.story

UCF has a HUGE fansbase in Orlando. I think this move WILL sell tickets. I'll admit that much.
Though his football ability should always be the primary reason you draft a player, that scene was good to see.

It would be nice to draw fans from Orlando.  It's a long time coming.
No

Quote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...8866.story

you mean they have a huge fan base that can't sell out a 45,301 seat stadium?

maybe they have fans, but they don't go to games, so why would they drive all the way to Jacksonville?
If only there could be a Matt Jones fallowing.  

I agree.

Quote:you mean they have a huge fan base that can't sell out a 45,301 seat stadium?

maybe they have fans, but they don't go to games, so why would they drive all the way to Jacksonville?

Their attendance is very good actually.
Quote:Their attendance is very good actually.

They don't sellout a 45,301 stadium, I don't care what the % is, that is bottom level in college football. Plus they have ~60,000 current students. If they can't sellout that very small stadium, you can't say they have a lot of fans.
No.  A good product will attract fans.  This team will not be very good next year.

They're already selling him as the local kid.

I like it. Good for them, him and us if he turns out worth a 3rd overall pick.

Just from browsing the UCF forums......

"Great pick by The Jacksonville Jaguars.

This is going to help them expand their fanbase in Orlando.

No one will be upset when they are on TV now.

Congratulations Blake Bortles!"

Quote:Very happy for Blake. I've never been to an NFL game, mostly because I grew up a Broncos fan and never really found a reason to become a fan of any of the FL teams. I think my first NFL game is going to have to be Jacksonville once Blake gets the starting job [Image: icon_smile.gif] 

Quote: 

Great second round pick for my new favorite NFL team. Jags accumulating weapons for Bortles. A steal! Would have been a top 10-15 pick last year.

Quote: 

LOL, no kidding.  We should have UCF/Bortles fan road trips to Jag games this fall.<span>Originally posted by Central Floridave:

OMG, we are all Jag fans. What a strange 24 hour twist.  

Go Jags!  </span>

Quote: 

Oh yeah. New favorite team. Move over Patriots.

Finally to cap it all off

<b>All Real UCF fans favorite NFL team is now the Jacksonville Jaguars</b>

https://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=7...08&style=2

Looks like the fan base has expanded 10 fold in Central Florida after the last two days. There are several more but I can't post all of the quotes with the limit on quote tags. This is certainly awesome news.

It will certainly help with the local television director. He hates the Jags and never shows their home games and writes apologies when he has to show our away games. With us having Blake, if he is playing, it all but forces him to show the Jag's home games. I don't know how much it will help with season ticket sales though. 

Pages: 1 2 3