Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This organazation is afraid to take chances
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unless they are backed into a corner and have no choice. They should've fired Gus weeks ago and tried to salvage the season but nope. Lets play it out until we absolutely have no choice because LA fired Fisher and we need to start the interview process too.

Bench Blake Bortles? Nope. Blake himself cost us games this year and peoples jobs. Mediocre and barely competent play would have given us a chance. Do we bench him and play the kid Allen? Nope. Lets play Pick Hero 6 until the bitter end and wait until a coach with stones comes in and tells him to take a seat.

It's frustrating watching the Texans and BoB has no problem telling his highly paid QB to sit but we are afraid to hurt Bortles feelings and confidence or whatever. Jacksonville is the only franchise in the freaking NFL who will play the wait and see game for seasons with guys like Gabbert and Bradley to hopefully get better. Now we're gonna do it with Bortles in the less than 1% chance he can be fixed. Hey, when a QB says he's not a natural thrower of the football....you might have got the wrong guy.

I am still wondering how a kid makes it on the draft board as a Number one when he says he is not a natural thrower. What were the scouts looking at during his pro days scouting even if he did not admit this bizarre confession. I know no other professional QB who has ever said such a weird thing. We have receivers being drafted that were college QB's and they don't even say they struggle to throw accurately. It's a first in the history of the NFL I think. A QB who admits he is not a natural thrower.

For all the flak Tebow took, and rightly so, Bortles looks no better than Timbo this year let's be honest. Denver's defense kept them in games, and our defense kept us in games this year. Our offense failed miserably. Worse than Denver's offense with Tim.

While I am not in any way suggesting Tebow should be here, I am comparing them to show how bad Bortles looked in his mechanics this year. And more and more last year looks like a fluke.

How this flaw in a Quarterbacks throwing escaped the scouts is mind boggling.

LOL How mad are you right now? LOL

Quote:LOL How mad are you right now? LOL

91% mad. No, but I think it's more frustration than anything. Like the Jaguars are the Jaguars biggest enemy. They hype us up every year and let us down so quickly and they do it to themselves because they can't get out of their own way. It's mind blowing.

They also seem to have been afraid of winning for these past 9 or 10 years.

Afraid to take chances? Pretty dumb.
Quote:I am still wondering how a kid makes it on the draft board as a Number one when he says he is not a natural thrower. What were the scouts looking at during his pro days scouting even if he did not admit this bizarre confession. I know no other professional QB who has ever said such a weird thing. We have receivers being drafted that were college QB's and they don't even say they struggle to throw accurately. It's a first in the history of the NFL I think. A QB who admits he is not a natural thrower.

For all the flak Tebow took, and rightly so, Bortles looks no better than Timbo this year let's be honest. Denver's defense kept them in games, and our defense kept us in games this year. Our offense failed miserably. Worse than Denver's offense with Tim.

While I am not in any way suggesting Tebow should be here, I am comparing them to show how bad Bortles looked in his mechanics this year. And more and more last year looks like a fluke.

How this flaw in a Quarterbacks throwing escaped the scouts is mind boggling.

Meh, sounds like Blake was the #1 QB on a lot of draft boards. Scouts gush over things like size, mobility, toughness. Probably too much so.
I see patience in this rebuild attempt. Not fear of taking chances.

Most owners and GMs lack the patience to blow it up and build through the draf.

They just missed on the QB and coach.

Could be catastrophic if they don't get it right in 2017.
Quote:I see patience in this rebuild attempt. Not fear of taking chances.

Most owners and GMs lack the patience to blow it up and build through the draf.

They just missed on the QB and coach.
Could be catastrophic if they don't get it right in 2017.
So what would constitute "getting it right?"

A winning season?

Reaching .500?

Would the "floor of getting it right be 7-9?"
"Afraid to take chances"?!?!

They hired a first time GM and a first time Head Coach!

They drafted a guy out of UCF #3 overall!

They spent roughly the Gross National Product of Bolivia in Free Agency on Juilius Thomas and Malik Jackson!

What other "chances" do they have to take?

Is the record the worst we've ever seen around here? Sure. Absolutely. No question. 

But one thing this crew ain't is risk adverse.

Quote:So what would constitute "getting it right?"

A winning season?

Reaching .500?

Would the "floor of getting it right be 7-9?"
Well, I think everyone will have their own opinion on that, but to me it's being in position to possibly win your division in early December.  Either leading it - or looking to overtake that lead. 

I think my "floor" would be .500 actually.  Could they achieve less than that and still turn out to have "found their guys?"  Absolutely. 

I'm just aghast at the number of games given away by this underachieving squad in 2016   -  and I feel like average QB play combined with a coach that can coax more discipline from his team should be able to reach .500 without overachieving to do so. 

Quote:Unless they are backed into a corner and have no choice. They should've fired Gus weeks ago and tried to salvage the season but nope. Lets play it out until we absolutely have no choice because LA fired Fisher and we need to start the interview process too.

Bench Blake Bortles? Nope. Blake himself cost us games this year and peoples jobs. Mediocre and barely competent play would have given us a chance. Do we bench him and play the kid Allen? Nope. Lets play Pick Hero 6 until the bitter end and wait until a coach with stones comes in and tells him to take a seat.

It's frustrating watching the Texans and BoB has no problem telling his highly paid QB to sit but we are afraid to hurt Bortles feelings and confidence or whatever. Jacksonville is the only franchise in the freaking NFL who will play the wait and see game for seasons with guys like Gabbert and Bradley to hopefully get better. Now we're gonna do it with Bortles in the less than 1% chance he can be fixed. Hey, when a QB says he's not a natural thrower of the football....you might have got the wrong guy.
It is mind boggling how a quarterback who (allegedly) admitted to not being a natural thrower of the football was selected third over all. As we have all seen, his (alleged) comment is only too true. Obviously, the scouts and GM were paying way too much attention to other attributes about Bortles and not enough to the most central and basic of skill sets for a quarterback... the ability to accurately pass a football with both distance and velocity as needed.

I can understand why someone who has invested in this team via season tickets would be pretty upset about this; it's like finding out that the piece of property that you invested in and that you were led to believe is 'grand and beautiful' is actually nothing but barren desert! Perhaps not as intentionally misleading as that situation, but the result is the same; you're out the cost of season tickets to watch a dumpster fire in progress.

Nevertheless, there seems little point in getting one's panties in wad over this at this point. For starters, there's nothing we can do about the situation now other than perhaps just not waste time attending Jags games; maybe season ticket holders can sell their seats on line to recoup a little bit. Secondly, We're getting a new coach and Dave has said that he will leave this decision to play or bench BB with that new coach. Clearly, we need some more competition at the quarterback position; Blake isn't panning out to be our franchise quarterback.
Quote:Well, I think everyone will have their own opinion on that, but to me it's being in position to possibly win your division in early December.  Either leading it - or looking to overtake that lead. 

I think my "floor" would be .500 actually.  Could they achieve less than that and still turn out to have "found their guys?"  Absolutely. 

I'm just aghast at the number of games given away by this underachieving squad in 2016   -  and I feel like average QB play combined with a coach that can coax more discipline from his team should be able to reach .500 without overachieving to do so. 
Part of what prompted my question is the assertion by Khan, echoed by Caldwell, that a winning season this year is a reasonable expectation, mostly due to the talent that's been added to the roster.

Bradley has been fired now, and most of the posters on here have identified Bradley as the main problem, and not talent.

If this is the case, how much rope does the new coach have?

This is why I don't think the schemes will be dramatically different.  If the team believes it has talent but it needs to be better coached, I'm thinking it will adopt schemes that best utilize the talent.  The defensive talent was acquired for a 4-3 scheme, and I am uncertain how well the talent would translate into a 3-4 scheme, or, for that matter, into a different outlook on the players. 

What if the new coach feels Jack and Ramsey are better suited to be safeties?  That was a subject of some discussion last off season.  Maybe the new coach who studied these guys felt that way last year and still feels the same now?  What if there is more of a zone or man emphasis than last year?

All of these things will contribute to a period of adjustment.

Hopefully, the transition is seamless, but it rarely is.
Quote: 

All of these things will contribute to a period of adjustment.

Hopefully, the transition is seamless, but it rarely is.

Definitely a real concern.  The talent is largely there on defense if the scheme isn't turned upside down.  Fingers crossed. 
Here is the thing...

This has been an unprecendented rebuild and it has failed based on coaching and observation.  No team has done this type of rebuild in the free agency history of the NFL.

So my fan expectations were I didn't agree with the plan so I adjusted my outcome.  I didn't believe the 3 year plan stuff.  All I wanted to see was competence and all three phases showing an up arrow.  That would have looked like a building block for future performance.  Instead we had denial and sales pitches each spring.  The team has to make money so I understand.

Bottom line is we need to see the team take action and not be words.

Quote:Definitely a real concern.  The talent is largely there on defense if the scheme isn't turned upside down.  Fingers crossed. 
Those things I mentioned above are why I raised the question of a "floor for getting it right" being a sub .500 record that represents improvement over Bradley.
Quote:Here is the thing...

This has been an unprecendented rebuild and it has failed based on coaching and observation.  No team has done this type of rebuild in the free agency history of the NFL.

So my fan expectations were I didn't agree with the plan so I adjusted my outcome.  I didn't believe the 3 year plan stuff.  All I wanted to see was competence and all three phases showing an up arrow.  That would have looked like a building block for future performance.  Instead we had denial and sales pitches each spring.  The team has to make money so I understand.

Bottom line is we need to see the team take action and not be words.
For too many reasons to delineate here, I think there will be a far greater urgency in the organization to win now.
Quote:It is mind boggling how a quarterback who (allegedly) admitted to not being a natural thrower of the football was selected third over all. A
It is.

I wonder if Bortles always felt this way, or began to question his abilities over his time as a pro.
They need to hire another coordinator to be the head coach, that will work out just fine
Quote:"Afraid to take chances"?!?!

They hired a first time GM and a first time Head Coach!

They drafted a guy out of UCF #3 overall!

They spent roughly the Gross National Product of Bolivia in Free Agency on Juilius Thomas and Malik Jackson!

What other "chances" do they have to take?

Is the record the worst we've ever seen around here? Sure. Absolutely. No question.

But one thing this crew ain't is risk adverse.

First time GM and head coaches aren't taking a risk. Your last GM was Gene Smith so you could only go up from there. Not to mention the job wasn't very attractive in 2013 because the roster was such a mess. No one established was coming here. Had no choice.

We just traded Gabbert and had no QB so we reached because we had no choice.

I don't see why signing Jackson/Thomas were risks. We have a ton of money and both have had productive careers in Denver.
Pages: 1 2