Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offseason Predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. We hire Mike Smith as head coach

2. Tom Coughlin joins the front office 

3. We attempt to trade for Garoppolo

4. Our only major FA signing is a guard

5. We draft Derek Barnett or Leonard Fournette

What's your's?

Quote:1. We hire Mike Smith as head coach

2. Tom Coughlin joins the front office 

3. We attempt to trade for Garoppolo

4. Our only major FA signing is a guard

5. We draft Derek Barnett or Leonard Fournette

What's your's?
I could easily see #1 happening.

Not sure how I would feel about #2.

I think your phrasing is accurate on #3.  We may attempt to deal for him, but I don't think we succeed.

I could see a G and/or a RT being signed or drafted.

Though I like Fournette (and to a lesser extent Dalvin Cook) I'm not sold that RB is a huge need.
1.  The Jaguars hire Tom Coughlin as Head Coach.

2.  A starting Guard and a starting Safety are added in Free Agency.   An Offensive Tackle capable of starting at RT Is signed as well.

3.  An edge rusher is selected in the top 2 rounds.

4.  A major RB addition is made,  though probably not in the Jaguars own 1st Round Draft spot. 

5.  The team signs a FA QB who is more capable of giving Blake Bortles competition than Chad Henne.

6.  Even with # 5,  a QB will be drafted.   W/o # 5 becoming a reality,  the Jaguars draft a QB no later than Round 4.   Probably even earlier.  

What exactly would you be offering for Garoppolo? If it's a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd be fine with that.

Where would you be drafting Fournette at? Certainly not top 5-10. Are you trying to shop our 1st round pick and drop down in the draft to get him? or looking at him in the 2nd round?

I'd rather take Garrett, Allen or Peppers with our 1st round pick, over trading back for Fournette.

Bklyn complains no matter what happens.

The 2017 O-line has two new starters.

Bortles sees competition in the form of a mid round pick (or higher) or a Vet acquisition.

Julius Thomas is not released.

Strong safety is a battle between Sample and a new acquisition.

SAM is just SAM - not Otto

Marqise Lee gets offered an extension.
Quote:Bklyn complains no matter what happens.

The 2017 O-line has two new starters.

Bortles sees competition in the form of a mid round pick (or higher) or a Vet acquisition.

This is a given...
1) Jaguars hire Mike Smith as HC

2) We bring in a decent QB2 via middle rounds in draft/trade/FA. Not sure who, but I'd imagine it's a legit contender to beat out Blake. No more Henne as the competition.

3)Starting LG/RT is signed via FA. Hopefully both.

4)Jonathan Allen/Jamal Adams/Tim Williams is selected at #3/#4 in draft.

5) RB is taken in the draft, but not round 1. Too deep of a draft with too much defensive talent at the top to go RB even though Fournette is great.

People clamoring for Dalvin any higher than rd 2 I think are just crazy with how talent filled this draft is at RB. You will be able to find a serious talent in rd 2-3-4. I get you love FSU but still...lol.

Quote:The 2017 O-line has two new starters.

I would certainly welcome two new starters on the OL, and you could make the argument we could use at least three.

I wonder what vet would be brought in for competition. For a few days I've had the feeling a guy like Cutler might be brought in. Yes, many would cringe at the thought, but not many Hall of Fame QBs are going to be available on the open market.

Thomas being retained will depend on the new coach's offensive philosophy and whether Caldwell and the new coach looks at film likes the effort he gave. Boselli has speculated he might have been here to collect a paycheck. If true, that will get him weeded out here.

I see Cyprien gone, especially if a Mike Smith were hired. He's too much of a liability in space.
Dont buy into the QB trade thing. Alfie and co are living a pipe dream. Caldwell loves Bortles and he will sink or swim with that decision. I do believe a QB could be brought in, but it will be the draft or Free Agency. Caldwell isnt giving the Patriots a 2nd round pick for a QB that still is an unknown. Patriots love doing this, though Garoppolo does have some potential. 

Blake Bortles will be your starting QB next season. But that doesn't mean we cant light a fire under his butt. 

Quote:Dont buy into the QB trade thing. Alfie and co are living a pipe dream. Caldwell loves Bortles and he will sink or swim with that decision. I do believe a QB could be brought in, but it will be the draft or Free Agency. Caldwell isnt giving the Patriots a 2nd round pick for a QB that still is an unknown. Patriots love doing this, though Garoppolo does have some potential. 

Blake Bortles will be your starting QB next season. But that doesn't mean we cant light a fire under his butt. 
If Dave forces Bortles on any coach, than we aren't getting any of the names we like unless they LOVE Bortles. So I vehemently disagree.

If he hires a good coach and we pick up a decent QB through FA/trade/draft, the talent on this team (if its correctly coaches/takes the step a good coach should get out of it) we'll be right around .500 and on the up and up next year.

Bortles may be our starting QB next year to start, but I disagree that we won't have a very decent backup ready to come in if this stuff continues.
1.  I think Mike Smith will be the new coach, in part due to his familiarity with Caldwell, in part because he is a 4-3 guy.

2.  I think based upon Smith's scheme, Poz is phased out and Jack is moved to MLB.

3.  Cyprien is gone.

4.  Two offensive linemen will be drafted, as will a bigger DT.  

5.  Alualu and Odrick are gone.

**Bonus speculation:  If Coughlin is named, Ivory gets new life.

Quote:If Dave forces Bortles on any coach, than we aren't getting any of the names we like unless they LOVE Bortles. So I vehemently disagree.

If he hires a good coach and we pick up a decent QB through FA/trade/draft, the talent on this team (if its correctly coaches/takes the step a good coach should get out of it) we'll be right around .500 and on the up and up next year.

Bortles may be our starting QB next year to start, but I disagree that we won't have a very decent backup ready to come in if this stuff continues.
I think you misread what I was saying. My point is, we are not trading for Jimmy Garoppolo. Thats not happening. Thats a pipe dream and the Patriots want you to give them a 2nd round pick for him. I absolutely agree that Bortles will not be forced on a coach. Even Caldwell hinted at that in his press conference. But, its also unrealistic to think Bortles wont be given one more chance. I do agree real competition will be brought in, but I'm more likely to believe that competition will be a draft pick or possible a Free Agent. What I had in mind was, when the Bills release Tyrod Taylor, Jags could be interested. 

In my opinion, maybe we disagree, I think Bortles had a really bad season. I think the coaching has been horrendous and Bortles had a bad offseason where he was asked to spread the ball around and change his throwing motion. Maybe Ill be in the minority, but I think Bortles will be much better next season with a fresh coaching staff. 
Quote:1.  I think Mike Smith will be the new coach, in part due to his familiarity with Caldwell, in part because he is a 4-3 guy.

2.  I think based upon Smith's scheme, Poz is phased out and Jack is moved to MLB.

3.  Cyprien is gone.

4.  Two offensive linemen will be drafted, as will a bigger DT.  

5.  Alualu and Odrick are gone.

**Bonus speculation:  If Coughlin is named, Ivory gets new life.
I wouldn't be opposed to this theory. I like Mike Smith, though the fans and media will probably grumble at first because it doesn't move the needle. Though I think Alualu is solid and theres nothing wrong with keeping him as competition. Everything else I agree with. 

I like Odrick but man, 16 million dollars a  year just isnt worth it. 
Quote:I could easily see #1 happening.

Not sure how I would feel about #2.

I think your phrasing is accurate on #3.  We may attempt to deal for him, but I don't think we succeed.

I could see a G and/or a RT being signed or drafted.

Though I like Fournette (and to a lesser extent Dalvin Cook) I'm not sold that RB is a huge need.
While I believe RB is a huge need, I don't necessarily support us drafting one in the first round.
Quote:What exactly would you be offering for Garoppolo? If it's a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd be fine with that.

Where would you be drafting Fournette at? Certainly not top 5-10. Are you trying to shop our 1st round pick and drop down in the draft to get him? or looking at him in the 2nd round?

I'd rather take Garrett, Allen or Peppers with our 1st round pick, over trading back for Fournette.
Peppers sucks and both Garrett and Allen could very well be gone which is why I say Fournette and Bennett. Also I'm not predicting what i would do I'm predicting what the team/Caldwell will do and what will happen. I think Garrett and Allen are both gone when we pick and Caldwell will either take Fournette or Barnett imo. Knowing him he will take Fournette.
Quote:Peppers sucks and both Garrett and Allen could very well be gone which is why I say Fournette and Bennett. Also I'm not predicting what i would do I'm predicting what the team/Caldwell will do and what will happen. I think Garrett and Allen are both gone when we pick and Caldwell will either take Fournette or Barnett imo. Knowing him he will take Fournette.
LOL zero chance Fournette is drafted in the top 5.

Peppers sucks? Do you even know who I'm referring to when I say Peppers?

You honestly think the Browns and 49ers, two teams who desperately need QBs, aren't going to take one with their pick? One of them is taking a QB with their 1st pick.

You're entirely predicting what you would do/what you think could happen. Everything you said is your opinion and your opinion alone.

You, just like all of us, don't have any clue what the team/Caldwell will or wont do. It's merely yours and our opinions on what we think could happen.
1. Mike Smith is named HC. (I will not be happy)

2. We will only spend a mid to late round pick on a QB. It will be a wide open competition in camp between Bortles, Allen and the new guy. Henne will be cut.

3. We will add a high caliber OG and Strong Safety via free agency. Joeckel and Cyprien will be gone.

4. We will draft a feature RB in the first 3 rounds of the draft. It will not be Dalvin Cook. Yeldon will be cut before the season.

5. We will switch to a conventional 4-3 defense and Fowler will move to SLB. 

6. We will add a true DE in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

7. Much to the surprise of Jaguars fans, Prince Amukamura will be signed by another team and we will spend a high round pick (first 3 rounds) on his replacement.

8. We will not add competition at RT until late in the draft. The rookie will still beat out Parnell for the starting job.

9. We will turn into a run first team in 2017, led by a rookie RB. 

10. We will finish with a 7-9 record in 2017. 

11. Bortles will be let go after the 2017 season and we will make a major deal to trade up in the 2018 draft.

12. Jaguars will finally get a franchise QB in the 2018 draft. 

Quote:LOL zero chance Fournette is drafted in the top 5.

Peppers sucks? Do you even know who I'm referring to when I say Peppers?

You honestly think the Browns and 49ers, two teams who desperately need QBs, aren't going to take one with their pick? One of them is taking a QB with their 1st pick.

You're entirely predicting what you would do/what you think could happen. Everything you said is your opinion and your opinion alone.

You, just like all of us, don't have any clue what the team/Caldwell will or wont do. It's merely yours and our opinions on what we think could happen.
There is  more of a chance of Fournette being drafted in the top 5 than Peppers, who won't go top 10. And what other Peppers are you talking about than Jabrill Peppers?

And no I don't think either one will be taking QB's because every single one of them sucks to the point even bad organizations like our's can't talk themselves into taking any of these guys top 5. Plus Cleveland has two top 10 picks so they can just take a QB with their second pick if they really want to (which they don't).

And no it is not what I would do nor is it an opinion based on what I would do. It is an opinion based on what I think Caldwell will do. Understand the difference. I would not hire Mike Smith nor would I draft Fournette in the top 5. The only thing on that list I would do is take Barnett. If it were my opinions on what I would do in the offseason the first thing on that list would be firing Caldwell.

And DUH it's my opinion on what I think will happen which is why the thread is titled "Offseason PREDICTIONS". It's inherent in the title that it is a thread for my and everyone else's opinions on what will happen in the offseason. Thanks for stating the obvious, Sherlock. The post even says imo at the end. Are you stupid?

Quote:There is  more of a chance of Fournette being drafted in the top 5 than Peppers, who won't go top 10. And what other Peppers are you talking about than Jabrill Peppers?

Then based on the conversation you guys are having, this begs the question why you think Jabril peppers "sucks?"

You are the first I've seen express a negative opinion about him.
Quote:1. Mike Smith is named HC. (I will not be happy)

2. We will only spend a mid to late round pick on a QB. It will be a wide open competition in camp between Bortles, Allen and the new guy. Henne will be cut.

3. We will add a high caliber OG and Strong Safety via free agency. Joeckel and Cyprien will be gone.

4. We will draft a feature RB in the first 3 rounds of the draft. It will not be Dalvin Cook. Yeldon will be cut before the season.

5. We will switch to a conventional 4-3 defense and Fowler will move to SLB. 

6. We will add a true DE in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

7. Much to the surprise of Jaguars fans, Prince Amukamura will be signed by another team and we will spend a high round pick (first 3 rounds) on his replacement.

8. We will not add competition at RT until late in the draft. The rookie will still beat out Parnell for the starting job.

9. We will turn into a run first team in 2017, led by a rookie RB. 

10. We will finish with a 7-9 record in 2017. 

11. Bortles will be let go after the 2017 season and we will make a major deal to trade up in the 2018 draft.

12. Jaguars will finally get a franchise QB in the 2018 draft. 
1.  Short of hiring an offensive guy to develop Bortles, I still don't understand why so many are down on Mike Smith.

2.  SO you don't think it possible the Jaguars will go after a vet in free agency, or do you think they think none is really worth pursuing?  Assuming the Jaguars do as you suggest, why do you think that would be?  Is that a function of a weak at the top QB class, the team still preferring Bortles, or what?

3.  Eric Berry would be nice here.  Probably won't happen...but he would be nice here.

5.  This I would have MAJOR problems with.  If the team moved to a standard 4-3. the LBs will have cover responsibilities.  The last thing I would want is Fowler dropping into coverage.  I would rather bring in a conventional 4-3 OLB and let him play outside and keep Fowler down as a DE.  If the team were moving to a blitz happy 3-4, then I would be okay standing Fowler up.

6.  Not surprising, considering a presumed elimination of the Alualu/Odrick type position.

7.  That could happen.  It would be disappointing on many levels, but I could see that happening.

8.  Not adding a solid RT through free agency or before the 3rd round of the draft would be something of a disappointment.

9.  Run first team?  Not necessarily a bad thing-though I know you hate it.

10.  7-9 while disappointing in the big picture, that would represent tremendous progress for us.

11.  That would be bad on too many levels to ponder.

12.  If Bortles failure is sustained, I sincerely hope you are right about this.
Pages: 1 2