Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 11 Cheap American Beers Ranked From Awful to Drinkable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

11 Cheap American Beers Ranked From Awful to Drinkable

America is in the midst of a craft beer revolution. Even the least beer-friendly stores will have a couple of craft or local options on the crowded shelves. But you know what’s also on those shelves? Cheap macro beer. It always has been there and it always will be. It’s time to accept the inevitability and choose the best of the worst.

https://vinepair.com/articles/11-cheap-a...aign=fbamp

Yuengling, Coors Banquet, and Narragansett are indeed palatable beers on the cheap.  

(PBR a'int too bad either, right Drifter? )

I'm not sure any of them measure up to the worst Mexican beer I've had (Tecate, BTW).

In fact, both Mexico and Canada make better macro beers than the U.S.

Ahhh good ole beer snobs.. I love listening to them rabble on.. When in the end, it all tastes the same coming up..
Quote:Yuengling, Coors Banquet, and Narragansett are indeed palatable beers on the cheap.  

(PBR a'int too bad either, right Drifter? )

I Like PBR but lately, I've been on a Girl On The Moon Kick. Can pick up an 18pk for $14.14
Is Yuengling that bad to ya'll? That's my goto affordable beer
Quote:Is Yuengling that bad to ya'll? That's my goto affordable beer

Never tried it, but it's a very popular beer in my area..........
I like Yuengling but it makes me windy. The next day I sound like the brass section of an orchestra pit. Miller High Life in a bottle has been my go-to for years.

However, my ultimate favorite is Left Hand Brewery's Nitro Milk Stout poured hard into a pint glass. Pure bliss.
Yuengling is my go to if there's NOTHING of a craft sort available. Pretty much every place/gas station has a six pack of Sierra Nevada on the shelf these days.

The Beast is a rough drink. And I'd take a PBR over Bud Light all day long
As a young lad of 16, Miller High Life was the first beer I could drink without puking, and it's still a go-to, as is Yuenling. Still, I prefer liquor, mainly straight..

Yuengling I would put in the "value" category.  Good beer for the price, but not cheap.  More affordable, but not at the very bottom price wise.

PBR, Keystone Light, Miller High Life are what I would put in the good/cheap area of the matrix.

Again, it depends on what region you're in.

Beers are marketed differently elsewhere.  You can get 30 packs of Keystone Light north of here for really cheap.  Here, you have to really look around for a sale... it's priced higher most of the time than what you can find it for elsewhere, and I can't find it in 30s.

Coors banquet is good beer, but it's also a premium beer, and premium priced.

I don't want to live in a World where Coors Banquet is considered a "Premium" beer
Quote:I'm not sure any of them measure up to the worst Mexican beer I've had (Tecate, BTW).

In fact, both Mexico and Canada make better macro beers than the U.S.
I'm a big Pacifico and Bohemia fan for the south of the border stuff.  (Negra Modelo is good too.)

Which Canadian beers do you like?  I haven't settled on a go-to beer up there really.  
Quote:I don't want to live in a World where Coors Banquet is considered a "Premium" beer

Too late.  You do.

Budweiser, Miller Lite, Coors are all in the premium category of domestic brands and are marketed and priced accordingly.  This is the term used in the retail industry for marketing those beers.

Only in such articles will you find premium American beers labeled as "cheap," because they consider every single mass produced beer "cheap."

I'm not going to pretend they don't have a point, because they are mass produced for mass consumption.  But I'm also not going to dismiss all American made brands and pretend there isn't a premium segment that exists within it.
I like beer.
Quote:I'm a big Pacifico and Bohemia fan for the south of the border stuff.  (Negra Modelo is good too.)

Which Canadian beers do you like?  I haven't settled on a go-to beer up there really.  

Molson XXX.  Cheap, high alcohol content, usually costs a buck more a 12 pack than Yeungling.  Fosters lager is Australian in origin, but if you pick it up at Publix, it's brewed in Canada.  It's been so long since I've had a LaBatt's, I've forgotten what they taste like, but I think I remember liking one of their high octane cheap ones.

My favorite Mexican beer is also Bohemia, with Negra second.  For the lighter lagers, I'll take a Carta Blanca.  Not much into Corona, but I'll drink one before I take any of them on Drifter's list.

There are great American beers, but they ain't cheap.  I've often wondered why other countries can make inexpensive, drinkable beer and we can't.
Quote:Molson XXX.  Cheap, high alcohol content, usually costs a buck more a 12 pack than Yeungling.  Fosters lager is Australian in origin, but if you pick it up at Publix, it's brewed in Canada.  It's been so long since I've had a LaBatt's, I've forgotten what they taste like, but I think I remember liking one of their high octane cheap ones.

My favorite Mexican beer is also Bohemia, with Negra second.  For the lighter lagers, I'll take a Carta Blanca.  Not much into Corona, but I'll drink one before I take any of them on Drifter's list.

There are great American beers, but they ain't cheap.  I've often wondered why other countries can make inexpensive, drinkable beer and we can't.

That's merely perception, not reality.
Quote:That's merely perception, not reality.

Our senses, including taste, are all about perception.

That's the reality.

Yes, to each his own, but there are medicines that taste better than Budweiser or the Beast.
My grandparents lived in Denver, and my dad would bring back a couple of cases of Coors Banquet every time we visited, then sell  or give to friends as gifts. He preferred Miller High Life.

Drinking a Miller High Life right now

Pages: 1 2 3