Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell's work. 9 players remain on the roster from 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Gene Smith era was indeed a very dark one. I feel good about Caldwell.  He seems smart and makes many smart moves.  Caldwell also has a good eye for talent. With a strong draft this team could push .500 or better in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...r-turnover

That number will undoubtedly change after the draft.
Who are the 9?  I came up with 10/11...unless I missed someone being added after 2011 below

Banger

Alualu

Allen

Poz

Mike Harris

Mercedes

Prosinkski

Rackley

Scobee

Shorts

Edit: Guess Blackmon would count too if he ever gets off suspension

Quote:Who are the 9? I came up with 10/11...unless I missed someone being added after 2011 below

Banger

Alualu

Allen

Poz

Mike Harris

Mercedes

Prosinkski

Rackley

Scobee

Shorts

Edit: Guess Blackmon would count too if he ever gets off suspension

Allen was undrafted and I believe Scobee and Marcedes were holdovers from Shack Harris.
Cecil Shorts

Marcedes Lewis

Cameron Bradfield

Will Rackley

Tyson Alualu

Russell Allen

Paul Posluszny

Josh Scobee

Chris Prosinski

Blackmon, Anger, and Harris came in the 2012 draft.
Quote:Allen was undrafted and I believe Scobee and Marcedes were holdovers from Shack Harris.

It is saying that only 9 still on roster from 2011...weren't the 10/11 on the Roster in 2011?
Quote:Cecil Shorts

Marcedes Lewis

Cameron Bradfield

Will Rackley

Tyson Alualu

Russell Allen

Paul Posluszny

Josh Scobee

Chris Prosinski

Gotcha
That list is interesting. Who would have thought the Colts could remain so competitive while undergoing so much turnover. It must be due to ...

a weak division

a very good QB

luck and/or a very good QB - probably a combination of both (I think the Colts are something like 15-2 in one-score games; not sure if that can continue. You'd think they will revert to the mean at some point.)

Quote:It is saying that only 9 still on roster from 2011...weren't the 10/11 on the Roster in 2011?

Yes. I missed the point. My bad.
Quote:Cecil Shorts

Marcedes Lewis

Cameron Bradfield

Will Rackley

Tyson Alualu

Russell Allen

Paul Posluszny

Josh Scobee

Chris Prosinski

And it would not surprise me if by 2015, that number is down to 3 or 4.
We said the exact same thing when Gene came in and gutted the Coughlin era players too.  Every GM comes in and guts the roster, what's impressive about what Caldwell has done?

I'm reserving my praise of Caldwell until his players have actually accomplished something.  Anybody on this message board could buy an ESPN insider subscription and draft/sign a team that wins 4 games.  Cutting 10 starters and then being praised because you added 10 starters is kind of a silly to me until I see that those 10 starters are better.

Monroe > Joekel (all 10 minutes that we've seen)

Bradfield = Joekel/Paztor

Whoever or fullback was = whoever our fullback was

Safety by comittee = Cyprian

Cox and old man Mathis > Ball and Gratz

Daryl Smith > Geno Hayes

Knighton/Alualu = Marks and Miller

Other than at 2nd DT (who was our starting DE last year), has anything really improved rosterwise from Gene?  I'm hopeful that the new guys work out this year, but nobody can say for certain, so I'm leaving the 2014 class out.

I do like the Bradley hire though.  He's the heart and soul of this team.  Badley >>>>>>>>>>> Mularkey

Ace Sanders was the only draft pick to live up to expectations last year.  And he didn't exceed them, just played about right for a 3rd or 4th pick, whatever he was.

We don't know about Joeckel yet. Why even compare him to Monroe? Joeckel played out of position up until Monroe was traded, then promptly got hurt.
Quote:We said the exact same thing when Gene came in and gutted the Coughlin era players too.  Every GM comes in and guts the roster, what's impressive about what Caldwell has done?

I'm reserving my praise of Caldwell until his players have actually accomplished something.  Anybody on this message board could buy an ESPN insider subscription and draft/sign a team that wins 4 games.  Cutting 10 starters and then being praised because you added 10 starters is kind of a silly to me until I see that those 10 starters are better.

Daryl Smith > Geno Hayes

Other than at 2nd DT (who was our starting DE last year), has anything really improved rosterwise from Gene?  I'm hopeful that the new guys work out this year, but nobody can say for certain, so I'm leaving the 2014 class out.

I do like the Bradley hire though.  He's the heart and soul of this team.  Badley >>>>>>>>>>> Mularkey
This is so off-base I laughed.
Quote:We said the exact same thing when Gene came in and gutted the Coughlin era players too.  Every GM comes in and guts the roster, what's impressive about what Caldwell has done?

Daryl Smith > Geno Hayes

Monroe didn't play well his rookie year.  Bradfield has only played OK when he was playing spot duty at RT.  Paztor and Joeckel have played better than Bradfield (source PFF).  

Greg Jones as our fullback I'll give you that one, but he was from the Shack era so Gene gets no credit there.  

If you're saying that having two guys equal the play of one is a push, then you don't know what you're talking about.  Cyp being able to do the load of two guys is exactly why we drafted him.  He's on his way up, and already outplayed the other guys we had back there since Darius (who was still a liability in coverage).

Other than one lucky break in his first game, Cox was horrible his rookie year.  He played more average his second, and got benched after that.  San Diego benched him after giving him a payday and cut him after last season.  Cox was a fail on EVERY account since it took 2 picks to get him.

Daryl Smith is better than Geno Hayes.  However Daryl's clock is ticking so there's no telling when his wheels were going to fall off.  Again, a Shack era guy.  Gene gets no credit.  

Kinghton/Alualu are not better at the inside DT positions of Marks/Miller.  Knighton was drafted for the wrong position, which was fixed last season by a coach who finally knows what he's talking about.  Knighton played great for one year and got lazy, which is why he got benched before he left for Denver.  Push.

Daryl Smith > Geno Hayes

(insert comment of outrage that you are trolling for)
Quote:We said the exact same thing when Gene came in and gutted the Coughlin era players too. Every GM comes in and guts the roster, what's impressive about what Caldwell has done?

I'm reserving my praise of Caldwell until his players have actually accomplished something. Anybody on this message board could buy an ESPN insider subscription and draft/sign a team that wins 4 games. Cutting 10 starters and then being praised because you added 10 starters is kind of a silly to me until I see that those 10 starters are better.

Daryl Smith > Geno Hayes

Other than at 2nd DT (who was our starting DE last year), has anything really improved rosterwise from Gene? I'm hopeful that the new guys work out this year, but nobody can say for certain, so I'm leaving the 2014 class out.

I do like the Bradley hire though. He's the heart and soul of this team. Badley >>>>>>>>>>> Mularkey

I think the biggest difference between Caldwell and Gene is Caldwell has done exactly what he said he was going to. And has been very systematic about the process. You can tell he truly has a plan. Now whether that plan works out or not who knows.

I don't think what you said about his first draft class is unfair. Joekel while hurt didn't play that much and what we saw, RT, he struggled. But that wasn't his natural position. He is a wait and see player.

Gratz was injured a lot, but he showed as much promise as any draft pick when he did play. He has got to stay healthy this year.

Cyprien wowed in practice, set high expectations, was disappointing in first half of season, but showed improvement. Hopefully he continues to get more comfortable so he can let his physical abilities take over.

It is just like most draft classes. Lots of projecting and wait and see.
Caldwell will be drafting based off of his scouts opinions, so it will be interesting to see how different his approach is in the draft this year compared to last year.
*hand picked scouts
Quote:(insert comment of outrage that you are trolling for)

I also insert my comment of outrage in this high quality thread.

Who is with us?!?! Outrage! Outrage! Outrage! Grrrrrr!!!
Pages: 1 2 3