Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The forgotten problem: Offensive Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Among many problems and negatives associated with our team, the offensive line seems to be a forgotten group that plays a major contribution to the suck exhibited on the field. One of our major focuses for this offseason should be to upgrade our offensive line. 

Watching the Cowboys offensive line play just shows how much of an advantage your a team has in both the running and passing game - and that is where we have been lacking severely. We need some tough guys on the line to hold their own, because I have seen it many times this season where our guys either miss an assignment or whiff completely - resulting in a hurry, sack, run-for-loss, etc.

Caldwell NEEDS to find a couple of very good players on the line, like he did with Linder.

Who forgot about the o-line?

Its talked about literally every day among Jags fans.
If you watched the game, you saw musical chairs at LG that began with someone who had never played before followed by a guy who never played that position before and then the backup center. We were down to the sixth LG this season.

Quote:Who forgot about the o-line?

Its talked about literally every day among Jags fans.
"Gus",

"Bortles",

"Penalties",

"Coaching",

"Special Teams",

"Running game",

"Passing game",

"Timeout mismanagement",

"Fire: _______",

"Bench: _______",

"No pass rush",

"No turnovers",

And I can go on and on, ​and on Glocky.
Quote:If you watched the game, you saw musical chairs at LG that began with someone who had never played before followed by a guy who never played that position before and then the backup center. We were down to the sixth LG this season.
I watched the game - and I saw the musical chairs @ LG MJF. That FURTHER proves my point that the offensive line should be a main focus this offseason.

Injuries, ineptitude, whatever - it's not working either.
Quote:"Gus",

"Bortles",

"Penalties",

"Coaching",

"Special Teams",

"Running game",

"Passing game",

"Timeout mismanagement",

"Fire: _______",

"Bench: _______",

"No pass rush",

"No turnovers",

And I can go on and on, ​and on Glocky.
idk what this list is supposed to mean to me or refute about literally everyone talking about o line in every thread. Like you must not be reading these topics if you think youre the only one whos out here questioning the strength of the line.
Quote:I watched the game - and I saw the musical chairs @ LG MJF. That FURTHER proves my point that the offensive line should be a main focus this offseason.

Injuries, ineptitude, whatever - it's not working either.

Well my point was nobody forgot how bad the LG position is - everybody remembered why we played musical chairs there with six different players. Ineptitude is on the coaches, not the players who can't stay healthy.
Numbers say we're top half in the league.
Quote:Among many problems and negatives associated with our team, the offensive line seems to be a forgotten group that plays a major contribution to the suck exhibited on the field. One of our major focuses for this offseason should be to upgrade our offensive line. 

Watching the Cowboys offensive line play just shows how much of an advantage your a team has in both the running and passing game - and that is where we have been lacking severely. We need some tough guys on the line to hold their own, because I have seen it many times this season where our guys either miss an assignment or whiff completely - resulting in a hurry, sack, run-for-loss, etc.

Caldwell NEEDS to find a couple of very good players on the line, like he did with Linder.

All Dak Prescott needs to do is not turn the ball over, and they dominate.  Because their offensive line dominates. 

I've been banging this drum for years.  Wouldn't it be great to sit in the stands and watch the Jaguars just beat other teams to death with a running attack?  And then have the Jaguars QB just stand back there all day waiting for a WR or TE to give him a wide open throw?  

I know Joeckel was a bust, but we can't give up.  Offensive lines win games.   Offensive lines dominate games.   
Quote:Numbers say we're top half in the league.

The eyeball test says, we're not. 
Ill continue to stand by my assesment, the pass blocking has been fine for the most part. The run blocking is a disaster.
LOL "forgotten"

It's been called out every single week on this board.  The run blocking was passable in literally two games this season but has been terrible overall. 

The pass rotation has been pretty good aside from third and long.  Blake also has a tendency to hold the ball too long which skews the perception of pass pro if you aren't paying attention. 

If any issue is briefly "forgotten" around here it's the inconsistency of the pass rush. Tinhorn QBs had too much time on way too many drop backs yesterday.  Malik is fairly consistent disrupting the middle,  Yannick threatens pretty often from the edge an but d Marks is still a force vs the run in the middle they need help and they need to get there quicker. 

I certainly haven't forgot about it. I've been clamoring about it for months. We need at minimum a starting RT and a starting LG, but I'd also like competition at RG and depth all along the O-Line. I'd be perfectly fine if all we drafted was a new RB and then, we spend the rest of our picks on O-Linemen.

Quote:All Dak Prescott needs to do is not turn the ball over, and they dominate.  Because their offensive line dominates. 

I've been banging this drum for years.  Wouldn't it be great to sit in the stands and watch the Jaguars just beat other teams to death with a running attack?  And then have the Jaguars QB just stand back there all day waiting for a WR or TE to give him a wide open throw?  

I know Joeckel was a bust, but we can't give up.  Offensive lines win games.   Offensive lines dominate games.   
I've harped this tune to the point that it's become a boring subject to me. 'Wars are won in the trenches' folks. A good offensive line can compensate for a LOT of weaknesses of a quarterback. Lets face it; a highly developed skill set is not required to hand the football off to someone. What is required is an offensive line that can open running lanes when required and pass block like they were protecting their own family! That's what makes great linesmen different; they are personally offended if their quarterback gets sacked! With most of our present guys its like, 'well oh gee whiz sorry about that'. 

We need big guys who are skilled and who personally give a hoot (deep down) about if their quarterback hits the ground. If Dave can't get the next great whiz bang awesome quarterback this draft then he had better make sure he gets some awesomely good offensive linesmen or we (the fans) can expect another season of more of the same... and Dave can expect to be looking for another job.
Anyone who has been watching the jags knows the offensive line is a major problem. Dave Caldwell, if he is to stay the GM, needs to invest heavily into the offensive line and build a strength on this team. We will need a new RT, LG, and maybe even a RG.
Parnell was not a liability last year, he was a solid upgrade at RT. 

Cann was surprisingly good as a rookie RG and a future star. He was not responsible for a single sack last year.

Yeldon averaged over 4 years per carry last year, only 3.6 this year.

What changed?

Bringing in good players year after year is not going to matter if the culture in the locker room gives the players no incentive to improve.

Quote:Parnell was not a liability last year, he was a solid upgrade at RT. 

Cann was surprisingly good as a rookie RG and a future star. He was not responsible for a single sack last year.

What changed?

Bringing in good players year after year is not going to matter if the culture in the locker room gives the players no incentive to improve.

Too much yoga and ice cream during the offseason programs. A failure to understand and commit to power running from the moment Gus said we'd be a power rushing team with a zone blocking scheme. The wrong personnel groups, we had a smallish DT as our number one blocking back for goodness sake. Nothing about this team said "power running" to anyone.
Quote:Anyone who has been watching the jags knows the offensive line is a major problem. Dave Caldwell, if he is to stay the GM, needs to invest heavily into the offensive line and build a strength on this team. We will need a new RT, LG, and maybe even a RG.

DC has focused heavily and invested in the O-line over the past few seasons. It just hasn't panned out like we/he hoped yet.

The turnover in that group has been immense in the past 4 seasons. It just hasn't worked (although it's better in some spots).

Joeckel-Beadles-Bowanko-Linder-Paztor

Joeckel-Beadles-Wiz-Linder/Cann-Parnell

Beachum-Joeckel-Linder-Cann-Parnell

DC has been trying to get that unit fixed. But, it still has some more work to be done.
Quote:Parnell was not a liability last year, he was a solid upgrade at RT. 

What changed?

If you want to look at players that regressed, you can't go without mentioning Bortles. He looked decent enough last year, but this season he has been a dumpster fire. Let's face it, a large portion of our team got significantly worse and most of those guys play on the offensive side of the ball. 
The offensive line needs to give Bortles more time to throw a wobbly inaccurate pass

Pages: 1 2 3