Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How Many Draft Picks Should Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I got to thinking about this. Currently the team has 11 picks. Barring any trades that change that number, that's 11 rookies coming in as of May. Ideally, it would be great if all 11 came in and became starters and played at a high level. I think that's a little unrealistic though. But what is realistic? The more rookies that immediately start would either signal a weak roster or a very good and lucky GM. Fewer players would obviously mean the opposite. So that said, what is the number that would be nice to see come September?

I think I put it at 5, personally. The top 3 picks, and hopefully a couple mid rounders at positions of need.

Is it realistic to get a starter at guard in the fourth or fifth?

A WR in the fourth that would start?

A LB around that area?

Just something to kick around that doesn't revolve around the names so much as the overall roster and finding fits throughout the draft.

I'm going to say 4.

The first 3 rounders should start, and then one of the other ones should be a "fixture" of some sort.

The others will probably be depth players, situational pass rushers, etc.. hopefully a couple of those develop into starters.
Another way to look at it is to see how many areas could be upgraded with a rookie. I see that possibility at G,C,OLB,S,QB,WR,TE, and to a lesser extent, CB,DE, and RT. There are places where a rookie can come in and earn a spot.

Quote:Another way to look at it is to see how many areas could be upgraded with a rookie. I see that possibility at G,C,OLB,S,QB,WR,TE, and to a lesser extent, CB,DE, and RT. There are places where a rookie can come in and earn a spot.

Good point, and I agree.

I could also see Caldwell use a similar strategy as last year when he drafted 5 DBs.... maybe he drafts 3-4 interior lineman this year, with the idea that a couple develop into good solid starters.  Maybe the extra 4th and 5th rounders?
Being as it looks to be a draft that's deep in talent, 4-5 shouldn't be unrealistic...

I say 3 at most.

Possibly QB if he is our 1st pick, interior o line, DE if he's our first pick, LB, and maybe FS.

Outside of the first two picks I think everyone will be sitting behind a vet except for the interior o-line. That's the only position at pick three and beyond that has a good possibility of starting. Any more than that means we hit on a rookie phenom which I'm not holding my breath for.

Any more would be icing on the cake and likely a source of rookie mistakes

If two rookie starters turn out to be even moderate difference makers by December - that's a great thing.  It also largely depends upon the positions selected in the top rounds as many spots require a while to acclimate compared to others.

Considering our needs though and that we'll probably be taking interior linemen in the later rounds, and a running back I wouldnt' be suprised to see at least 2 of the 4-5 round picks start or at least enter into a spit time rotation.  Who knows maybe we find an Alfred Morris in the draft

If 5 rookies are starting by opening day, then our roster is crap. There's no way five rookies should be starting. I'd say the most is 3.
In case you haven't checked, our roster is crap....

3 to 5 Sounds reasonable. Don't forget about the number of undrafted players that get brought in each summer.

If you were to look at our roster and list the positions that a rookie could step in and be a starter I would say:

QB: 1/2 pick

RB: 3 or later pick

WR: 3 or later pick (no Blackmon opens spot)

C: any pick has opportunity to start

RG/RT: same as C depending on Paztor

TE: contributor could come in 2-4 pick

DE: lots of vets but a 1/2 pick could start

OLB: we have Watson but other spot could be grabbed by a rookie pretty realistically

CB: still need #2 CB

FS: young depth all we have right now
Basically say the draft fell:

1: Mack/Clowney/Bridgewater - Obvious Starter as to be expected from round 1 pick.

2: Yankey/Van Noy/Jackson/Sua'Filo - Same as round 1

3: Richburg/Moncrief/Sankey/Mason/Desir - Due to our roster I would expect any of these to step in as starters minus the RBs would would have it by end

4s: Watt/Dozier/Seastrunk/Fiedorowicz - More dependent on position but a RB/OG/TE could easily be drafted and be a starter.

5s: Cockrell/Aikens/Hubbard - I think Cockrell/Aikens are sheme fits and could be CB2 starters Hubbard could take Allen OLB spot as well.

6s: Stork/Storm - Doubtful starters but it all depends on positions

7: Doubtful Starters.

I think due to our roster and such a deep draft I would sit the over under @ 4.  

Bridgewater/Van Noy/Richburg would be locks as starters and you would think Dozier/Cockrell/Aikens would have very good shots at the RG/CB2 slot.

It's hard to gauge how many would start without knowing who those rookies will be.
I see 3 or 4 starters being drafted. Caldwell wants to draft an immediate impact type of player at #3. Not sure how likely that is since there are no NFL ready qbs and Khalil mack sounds like he start his career off as a situational guy.
Quote:I see 3 or 4 starters being drafted. Caldwell wants to draft an immediate impact type of player at #3. Not sure how likely that is since there are no NFL ready qbs and Khalil mack sounds like he start his career off as a situational guy.

Watkins is a day 1 starter. :whistling:
Quote:I see 3 or 4 starters being drafted. Caldwell wants to draft an immediate impact type of player at #3. Not sure how likely that is since there are no NFL ready qbs and Khalil mack sounds like he start his career off as a situational guy.

Mack would step in as day OLB starter.
Mack would not be a situational guy. Day 1 starter.

Quote:Watkins is a day 1 starter. :whistling:
I believe so too, but its a deep draft at WR.
Quote:Mack would step in as day OLB starter.
If that's the plan, then I'd dig it. Dakoda Watson would then become Macks back up.
Pages: 1 2 3