Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If anyone hasn't seen it, go check out Dave Caldwell's interview on the front page of jaguars.com..

He says a lot of interesting things about the draft, MJD, etc..

I have a feeling he really wants to trade down in the draft because he said multiple times that their goal was having 12-14 picks in the draft and we currently have 11. I also may be starting to think the only player he wants at 3 is Clowney...
I noticed this as well. If Clowney is gone who would want to trade and who for?

It also seems he is not too thrilled with this QB draft class.  This team is void of talent so the more picks the better.  11 is great but if we can move back for more I could see that work for us as well

i agree he want to trade down and get as mny picks as possible.

I think we get Clowney or Watkins in the first if we cant trade down and QB in 2nd or 3rd

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...7e878fcb8a

Thats the link for the lazy

But yea I have a felling Clowney is the guy he wants too, but outside of that he did say its a better offensive draft then defense, I still think we can trade with ATL even if Clowney is gone, they are moving to a 3-4 they may want to trade up for Mack they need a young pass rusher that fits that system, and we can end up with two 2nd round picks in a deep draft. move from 3 to 6 and get a 2nd and 5th. 

I love that he is way more open then boring Gene Smith

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Press-Conference-Dave-Caldwell/d29343c3-8b3a-4d5c-be60-3e7e878fcb8a'>http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Press-Conference-Dave-Caldwell/d29343c3-8b3a-4d5c-be60-3e7e878fcb8a</a>

Thats the link for the lazy

But yea I have a felling Clowney is the guy he wants too, but outside of that he did say its a better offensive draft then defense, I still think we can trade with ATL even if Clowney is gone, they are moving to a 3-4 they may want to trade up for Mack they need a young pass rusher that fits that system, and we can end up with two 2nd round picks in a deep draft. move from 3 to 6 and get a 2nd and 5th.

I love that he is way more open then boring Gene Smith

If that were to happen we would have..

That's a LOAD of players to draft and considering that almost ALL of Caldwell's draft picks last year showed some sort of potential and effectiveness, a trade down would be a no brainer to me
We'll take a QB. Just not at #3 like the Bridgewater brigade and the JFF fanclub has been hoping, praying, wishing for. If we have an opportunity to trade down I hope Caldwell jumps on it.
Isn't worth trading down. If we do that means we won't take a QB and we would almost surely miss out on Sammy/Mack. We need one of those players. 

Quote:Isn't worth trading down. If we do that means we won't take a QB and we would almost surely miss out on Sammy/Mack. We need one of those players.

I'd rather have Mike Evans and an extra second than Watkins.
Quote:Isn't worth trading down. If we do that means we won't take a QB and we would almost surely miss out on Sammy/Mack. We need one of those players.

Trading down doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB.
Quote:Trading down doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB.

Not at all.. That actually would put someone like Aaron Murray more in the mix, my guess.. And I'd be pretty excited about that.. 
It's so obvious that Dave is gon use all our picks to move up and take Johnny Heisman'ziel first overall. Y'all needa pay more attention to the signs
Quote:It's so obvious that Dave is gon use all our picks to move up and take Johnny Heisman'ziel first overall. Y'all needa pay more attention to the signs
Humor me what are these signs you talk about?
What if Dave... Trading down and took Robinson? Just sayin.. Hmmm....

I found it interesting that he said he anticipated getting four staters from this draft. I'm assuming he meant immediate starters because it was in response to a question about being able to draft guys who can come in and help right away. If he's not looking for a starting QB, I'm guessing WR, C/G, FS and LEO.
Quote:It's so obvious that Dave is gon use all our picks to move up and take Johnny Heisman'ziel first overall. Y'all needa pay more attention to the signs
Let's see, there are no helmets with heads in them laying on the ground.  Signs??????

Quote:Humor me what are these signs you talk about?
He is channeling his inner  "ditka" 

you know the type.

Sits at Ruth's Chris,

puts $500.00 and the table

for a Shirley Temple

in a go cup,

gets up 

walks out.

Happy

HeadSlap

Quote:Trading down doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB.

Absolutely, and there are some lower-round QBs who have some real potential for development.  I like how Garropolo looks on video, he looks more like a natural than some of the higher ranked guys but his level of competition may have something to do with that.  We'll see how things work out. 
Yep, he is not happy with this years QB selection, and I don't blame him. Most are over rated and not very impressive. We need to fix our offensive and defensive lines. Then worry about a QB, that will work in our scheme. So I can see us drafting down for those players. I like how he is thinking, about the team as a whole and not the individual. What a change compared to GS. :woot:
Just listen to the interview. Sounds like a trade back early could occur. I like the idea of trading back to the sixth or eighth spot and drafting Watkins or Mack. I also think now that they are not drafting a QB in the 1st round. Dave mention getting weapons around Henne. The latest we've heard is their interest in Kevin Norwood.

He has mentioned in other interviews that there is an elite talent in this draft and that we'd see if he falls to 3.  That must be Clowney.  And sounds like they'd like to trade back if he isnt there.

You read people on the College board a lot say we shouldnt be afraid to draft a QB high.  But thats easy for us to say when we're not the ones picking that QB.  A GM's career is inevitably tied to the success of whichever QB they draft in the 1st round(and especially if its near the top of the draft).  I dont blame Caldwell one bit for being cautious. 

Pages: 1 2 3