Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags sign Watson.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A backup LB for the Bucs that has actually gained a lot of interest. He played very well in limited action.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/12/5...ree-agency

I really like this signing, Watson is an ascending player and tremendous athlete at the LB position, he adds some juice to our defense that is desperately needs.

Quote:I really like this signing, Watson is an ascending player and tremendous athlete at the LB position, he adds some juice to our defense that is desperately needs.
He's an athletic freak, that's for sure.
Quote:He's an athletic freak, that's for sure.

4.56 straight line speed with a 40 inch vert at 240 Lbs definitely consitutes a freak athlete, more importantly he was productive and did a decent job at rushing the passer last year, another base hit for DC.
Quote:4.56 straight line speed with a 40 inch vert at 240 Lbs definitely consitutes a freak athlete, more importantly he was productive and did a decent job at rushing the passer last year, another base hit for DC.

Bucs fans liked the guy. They say they are disappointed that he didn't play enough because his speed was really good.
I haven't seen any official word he's signed but I'm sure he did good job Caldwell
Nice! Now we need Thurman to sign.
Well, wikipedia says he is a Jaguar, so it MUST be official.  LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekoda_Watson

I hope it is!

Nice article from last season:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/...ct/2153609
Great deal, not because hes some superstar, but because theyre trying to find another diamond in the rough. 

Last year Ball, Marks, Forsett, Hayes all signed a small prove it type deal. No risk at all, and we found 2 solid starters in Ball and Marks. 

Maybe this guy will work out and maybe he wont, but its a solid strategy to find guys on the cheap. 

Quote:Great deal, not because hes some superstar, but because theyre trying to find another diamond in the rough. 

Last year Ball, Marks, Forsett, Hayes all signed a small prove it type deal. No risk at all, and we found 2 solid starters in Ball and Marks. 

Maybe this guy will work out and maybe he wont, but its a solid strategy to find guys on the cheap. 

Absolutely agreed here. Fishing for low cost players impacted by issues (Bad team, Wrong position, Wrong scheme, etc.) that could possibly shine bigtime once whatever issue is corrected is a good strategy.
Quote:Great deal, not because hes some superstar, but because theyre trying to find another diamond in the rough.

Ball isnt really a solid starter. Nice depth I suppose.
Quote:Ball isnt really a solid starter. Nice depth I suppose.

Alan Ball actually had a nice season, his length is perfect for this defense. That's what I love about this scheme, you don't have to spend high draft picks or big money in FA on cornerbacks, you can find guys later in the draft that have slipped because they didn't run a fast 40, you can find guys in FA like an Alan Ball or Will Blackmon that are natural scheme fits because of their length, it allows you to build a nice secondary without investing heavily into it.

This
And he shares his birthday with meeee....! Happy belated Birthday Watson..!

Quote:I really like this signing, Watson is an ascending player and tremendous athlete at the LB position, he adds some juice to our defense that is desperately needs.

An additional benefit is MAJOR Special Teams value. Dekoda Watson was the NFC Special Teams player of the month in November, 2012.
I love this approach.  Sign depth/role players in free agency with high upside to small contracts and draft your superstar players.  At worst Watson will be an excellent special teams player and, at best, its not like there is no talent there and maybe Bradley brings it out of him and he can be a decent starting OLB.  This kind of free agency is just what this team needs if Caldwell can continue to draft well.

a67fastbac

PFT and La Canfora are tweeting it. Hopefully the price isn't outrageous.
Quote:A backup LB for the Bucs that has actually gained a lot of interest. He played very well in limited action.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/12/5...ree-agency
Do you think he'll start or be for depth?
Quote:Do you think he'll start or be for depth?
I think he'll be given an opportunity to compete for a starting position.  If he gets there, great.  If not, we've still got a solid guy for depth and special teams.
Pages: 1 2 3 4