Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake Bortles - "I've got to be a better tackler"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...r-tackler/

Is this an Onion article? Is this real?

It's old....

he's joking.

tongue in cheek much?

He can't just keep saying the same stuff "i got to stop throwing INTs"

so he made a lighter comment.

I laughed. You should too.

I saw/heard this and shook my head a little.  It is light hearted and somewhat funny, but I'd prefer my QB, or any professional at anything that hasn't performed well, to present a more serious face regarding his/her performance.  On its own, it's not that big of a deal.  Combined with everything that's happened this season with the rumors about Bortles extracurricular activities, it appears to me to be another symptom of a larger problem and he doesn't appear to be on track to fixing it.  He just doesn't seem serious to me about wanting to be a professional.

Can you imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning ever saying anything like this?  I can't.  I know he was never going to be either one of those guys, but at least try to emulate greatness.

Quote:I saw/heard this and shook my head a little.  It is light hearted and somewhat funny, but I'd prefer my QB, or any professional at anything that hasn't performed well, to present a more serious face regarding his/her performance.  On its own, it's not that big of a deal.  Combined with everything that's happened this season with the rumors about Bortles extracurricular activities, it appears to me to be another symptom of a larger problem and he doesn't appear to be on track to fixing it.  He just doesn't seem serious to me about wanting to be a professional.

Can you imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning ever saying anything like this?  I can't.  I know he was never going to be either one of those guys, but at least try to emulate greatness.
I understand this thought...

But like I said above.. he's been saying "I cant do this. I gotta be better at this" for like 12 weeks now.

I don't recall any specific time where a Brady or Manning said something like that... but at least Bortles isn't saying "pressure makes diamonds" or anything stupid like that.

We are where we are in this season and most of these guys are ready for the offtime already. 

Also... I don't buy these nonsense Bortles is a bar bum comments and rumors.

If dude had a problem, the team would know it and there wouldn't be rumors swirling, there'd be proof and it'd be news in todays world.
Just Gus Bradley culture leaking its way all the way through the organization.

relax

Quote:I understand this thought...

But like I said above.. he's been saying "I cant do this. I gotta be better at this" for like 12 weeks now.

I don't recall any specific time where a Brady or Manning said something like that... but at least Bortles isn't saying "pressure makes diamonds" or anything stupid like that.

We are where we are in this season and most of these guys are ready for the offtime already. 

Also... I don't buy these nonsense Bortles is a bar bum comments and rumors.

If dude had a problem, the team would know it and there wouldn't be rumors swirling, there'd be proof and it'd be news in todays world.

I've heard the rumor from several people, not just from here or people that post here.  One person indicated to me that they were friends with someone that hung out with Bortles or was somehow in his circle.  The story was that he frequented his favorite spot Hoptinger at the beach and closed it down regularly.  At first he would take pictures with fans, but apparently got tired of being asked why he was out so late.  What I've been told is that he now drinks at home (heavily from what I hear) with whoever is in his circle to avoid the stigma of being in a high profile position and being spotted out late at the bars.  Believe whatever you wish.  To me, the repeated rumors, the body language during interviews, the attempts to be funny about poor performance and his actual performance this season fit together too well for my liking.
Quote:Just Gus Bradley culture leaking its way all the way through the organization.

No, that's Blake being Blake.

I actually thought it was a pretty good line.
Like I've said in other threads, I believe he'll be starting for us next year because significant help at QB isn't likely on the way.  I hope these rumors aren't true or are exaggerated and for this franchise I hope he re-dedicates himself this offseason and comes out on fire next year.  I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzies.

Quote:I've heard the rumor from several people, not just from here or people that post here.  One person indicated to me that they were friends with someone that hung out with Bortles or was somehow in his circle.  The story was that he frequented his favorite spot Hoptinger at the beach and closed it down regularly.  At first he would take pictures with fans, but apparently got tired of being asked why he was out so late.  What I've been told is that he now drinks at home (heavily from what I hear) with whoever is in his circle to avoid the stigma of being in a high profile position and being spotted out late at the bars.  Believe whatever you wish.  To me, the repeated rumors, the body language during interviews, the attempts to be funny about poor performance and his actual performance this season fit together too well for my liking.
Ahhh... the ol' I know a guy who knows a guy.

Much more believable than the message board posters.

Maybe there is something to it. Believe me I'm not excusing Bortles from his poor play.

I just don't have a problem with his comment.

Last season after a win on TNF vs the tacks... Primetime asked Bortles what the team needed to do to take the next step. He said "I have to play better and stop throwing the ball to the other team"

He's been humble and shown humility. He's been self critical at every point he possibly could have been.

Is he Brady? No.

Is he Johnny Football? No.

Maybe he does like to drink. Maybe being on the Jaguars drove him to drink.

Maybe he likes to wash down his ice cream sundae with some Yuenglings or Buds...

If he's an alcoholic, he's a pretty functioning alcoholic, as I've known quite a few.
Quote:Just Gus Bradley culture leaking its way all the way through the organization.
Well... you can keep beating it if you'd like. But Gus is going to be fired so you can move on from it....

at least jump on the fire DC train.... that's fairly new in comparison

There have been other reports out there that Bortles likes to drink grandpa's cough syrup, so it isn't far fetched.

lol, move him to safety on defense.
Quote:There have been other reports out there that Bortles likes to drink grandpa's cough syrup, so it isn't far fetched.
I have searched and searched and have yet to see anything credible. Other than a few posters on here saying they heard something or "know a guy"

No one who covers hot topic issues in or around Jville has anything that I could find to suggest he has an issue.
Quote:It's old....

he's joking.

tongue in cheek much?

He can't just keep saying the same stuff "i got to stop throwing INTs"

so he made a lighter comment.

I laughed. You should too.

This, it's a great quote from Blake. I've been one of his harshest critics this year, but there's one thing that's incredibly obvious. This guy has big time confidence (you have to in order to make a comment like that) but also doesn't take himself too seriously, he has all the MENTAL traits to bounce back from a year like this.
It was a great line.  Some of you all need to lighten up, geez its just a game, let the guy have a little personality.

it made me laugh. I actually really like his interviews.

its just a joke its no big deal
Quote:It was a great line. Some of you all need to lighten up, Geez its just a game, let the guy have a little personality.

I know Blake was not being serious when he said that, but the comment implies he does not care if an opponent catches one of his passes. It is easy to see why somebody would have an issue with what Blake said.
Quote:There have been other reports out there that Bortles likes to drink grandpa's cough syrup, so it isn't far fetched.

Nyquil on the rocks, with a twist.

Pages: 1 2 3