Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why haven't we cut Babin yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Uche is gone - I find it interesting that there hasn't been anything about Babin yet.

So, what is the team waiting for?

Or, are we considering keeping him for a restructured deal?

He will be next

Difference is, Babin was actually a pretty productive player last year. 7.5 sacks isn't half bad.

They may bring him to camp.  He was our second best DL player last year.

Quote:Difference is, Babin was actually a pretty productive player last year. 7.5 sacks isn't half bad.
Yeah but 6 mil. this year and he is about to be 34.  I dont see us keeping him.
If we dont draft a pass rusher or dont pick one up in free agency I can see us keeping him but I dont think that will be the case.

Because this.

[Image: jason-babin-dreads.jpg?w=630]

Quote:Yeah but 6 mil. this year and he is about to be 34.  I dont see us keeping him.

It isn't as though were in any kind of a poor cap situation. He's still to this point pretty much the only proven pass rusher on this team. After FA and the draft that may change, but no reason to rush and cut him now and paint yourself into a corner by forcing yourself to reach out of dire need.
Quote:It isn't as though were in any kind of a poor cap situation. He's still to this point pretty much the only proven pass rusher on this team. After FA and the draft that may change, but no reason to rush and cut him now and paint yourself into a corner by forcing yourself to reach out of dire need.

The same could be said about Uche... plus Uche is younger.

Uche was the only decent guard on this team, and we're not strapped for cash.

Why cut Uche but keep Babin?

Besides, I think you're overrating just how Babin played last year.  He had a couple of impact plays but also more than a couple huge negative plays (penalties) so overall I think he was very disappointing.
Does Jason Babin have a roster bonus coming due in the near future?  

If not,  the Jaguars can probably wait to see what transpires before their off-season program begins next month.  

Quote:The same could be said about Uche... plus Uche is younger.

Uche was the only decent guard on this team, and we're not strapped for cash.

Why cut Uche but keep Babin?

Besides, I think you're overrating just how Babin played last year.  He had a couple of impact plays but also more than a couple huge negative plays (penalties) so overall I think he was very disappointing.

Uche was due a roster bonus, I don't think Babin has the same. My best guess is that he restructures and stays, as he had said he would be willing to do.
Quote:Uche was due a roster bonus, I don't think Babin has the same. My best guess is that he restructures and stays, as he had said he would be willing to do.

I would totally be OK with that.
We have plenty of cap room and he is our best pass rusher, and you can never have enough pass rushers

Babin will be cut before camp.  They won't risk letting him claim an injury so he can collect his whole salary.  

Quote:Babin will be cut before camp.  They won't risk letting him claim an injury so he can collect his whole salary.  
Has he even missed a game since becoming a Jag? A guy that may be old still is our best pass rusher. We cry to Dave about how much money we have, I don't see the problem with keeping Babin around when he is willing to work out a cheaper deal and play for a few more years in sunny Florida. He could be a very good locker room influence who Gus and Dave believe could teach the younger guys. I'm all for keeping him as long as he takes a new contract. It's not like he was in Uche's position of being over paid and not having anything to show for it
Quote:It isn't as though were in any kind of a poor cap situation. He's still to this point pretty much the only proven pass rusher on this team. After FA and the draft that may change, but no reason to rush and cut him now and paint yourself into a corner by forcing yourself to reach out of dire need.

This is the correct answer. Weak market for pass rushers and no guarantee we draft one early.
What's 6.5 mil for a team that 60 mil under the cap and isn't even going to come close to spending it all? Yeah it would give them a but more to roll over next year, but at the same time we really need the pass rush he provides. If we draft Clowney or sign one of the better pass rushers he's gone but who knows how it's going to shake out.
Quote:What's 6.5 mil for a team that 60 mil under the cap and isn't even going to come close to spending it all? 

Our cap isn't an issue - yet we cut Uche.. who at least is a serviceable guard.    

What you just said could have been said about Uche as well.  So something is different in this instant.  I think it's the roster bonus thing that D6 mentioned.
id rather cut Babin and sign Bennett for 9 mil a year
Gabbert should be the first to go, I'm assuming their waiting for Henne to sign tho. 

Pages: 1 2 3