Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFF's Jaguars Value Model
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Convoluted Title but some will find it interesting.

Enjoy!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...e-jaguars/
Good read....thanks.
Our secondary is going to be beastly. Gus really does know how to work with CBs to get them in good postition. I remember a report about the CBs at the senior bowl making great strides for Gus Bradley's south team from one practice to the next and mainly in man coverage.

Also most of those on the overvalued list are going or gone this offseason so im good with the team outlook right now.

Small note Shorts is the only non defender to be on the good value list and 7 of the 10 on the bad value list are offensive players including both QBs.

Quote:Our secondary is going to be beastly. Gus really does know how to work with CBs to get them in good postition. I remember a report about the CBs at the senior bowl making great strides for Gus Bradley's south team from one practice to the next and mainly in man coverage.

Also most of those on the overvalued list are going or gone this offseason so im good with the team outlook right now.

Small note Shorts is the only non defender to be on the good value list and 7 of the 10 on the bad value list are offensive players including both QBs.

Several players on the non value list were injured or traded in the case of Monroe. I wonder how that was taken into account.
Quote:Our secondary is going to be beastly. Gus really does know how to work with CBs to get them in good postition. I remember a report about the CBs at the senior bowl making great strides for Gus Bradley's south team from one practice to the next and mainly in man coverage.

Most of our older players reside on offense so it makes sense that the offense carries more on the bad list. Old and overpaid.
These guys really, really reach sometimes.

Look at their "grades" for Monroe and how it changed from team to team.  That doesn't just happen.  Anybody watching could see there wasn't some significant change in Monroe's play over the course of the season.  He was about as average to above average as he's always been, and in both cities.

They seem to really dislike Poz for some reason.  I think their defensive ratings are pretty wonky.  I prefer Pro-football reference's Approximate Value Stat personally.

Mercedes Lewis.  Really?  The guy has been in the league for almost a decade now.  Is it that hard to get his name right?

Interesting read. I've often bashed a few of the players in the past that appear on their most overvalued part of the list. Good to see my rants justified somewhat. 

Monroe doesn't really belong on that list. Completely new OL system in which almost the entire OL was struggling. 

Quote:These guys really, really reach sometimes.

Look at their "grades" for Monroe and how it changed from team to team.  That doesn't just happen.  Anybody watching could see there wasn't some significant change in Monroe's play over the course of the season.  He was about as average to above average as he's always been, and in both cities.

I'm guessing you didn't watch any Baltimore Raven games last year after the Monroe trade, I did, and I can tell you first hand Eugene was a completely different player in Baltimore than he was in Jacksonville, simply due to the scheme. These ratings make sense to anyone that actually watched their games.

Quote:They seem to really dislike Poz for some reason.  I think their defensive ratings are pretty wonky.  I prefer Pro-football reference's Approximate Value Stat personally.

It's simple, he's an average to above average middle linebacker, whos being paid like one of the best at his position, which he's certainly not. It's not that difficult to understand.
Quote:It's simple, he's an average to above average middle linebacker, whos being paid like one of the best at his position, which he's certainly not. It's not that difficult to understand.

Poz has been the most valuable player on this team for the past two years.  He does not deserve a grade of -11.
While it was interesting to read, the Monroe thing discredited the entire thing, both good and bad.

Quote:It's simple, he's an average to above average middle linebacker, whos being paid like one of the best at his position, which he's certainly not. It's not that difficult to understand.

I think his point was that PFF rates him as far below average. That's just hard to justify if you ask me.
Quote:I'm guessing you didn't watch any Baltimore Raven games last year after the Monroe trade, I did, and I can tell you first hand Eugene was a completely different player in Baltimore than he was in Jacksonville, simply due to the scheme. These ratings make sense to anyone that actually watched their games.

You completely ignored the part where I did, just to suit your fancy.

There's always a shill of sorts for these sites.  Take it with a grain of salt.  Re: Monroe, take two.

I love the intensity Poz brings game in and game out, but the above quote is pretty much spot on. 
Poz is over paid, but when you go though every team I would put him in the top 5.  My top 5 are.  I would say Poz is over paid by a couple mil.  But it will be hard to get any free agent to come here on a good deal until we have a good team.

1. Navrro Bowman

2. Luke Kuchley

3. Patrick Willis

4. Derick Johnson

5. Poz

Derrick Johnson and Poz are a tie to me.

Quote:Derrick Johnson and Poz are a tie to me.

Quote:Poz is over paid, but when you go though every team I would put him in the top 5.  My top 5 are.  I would say Poz is over paid by a couple mil.  But it will be hard to get any free agent to come here on a good deal until we have a good team.

1. Navrro Bowman

2. Luke Kuchley

3. Patrick Willis

4. Derick Johnson

5. Poz

There is absolutely no way Poz is a top 5 linebacker in the league, how much football do you watch?

1. NaVorro Bowman

2. Patrick Willis

3. Luke Kuchley

4. Daryl Washington

5. Brian Cushing

6. Donald Butler

7. Sean Lee

8. Lawrence Timmons

9. Bobby Wagner

10. Derrick Johnson

11. Brandon Spikes

12. James Laurinitis

13. Mason Foster

14. DeMeco Ryans

Are some of the guys off the top of my head that play at a higher level than Poz, he's a middle of the road linebacker. If you think he's in the same stratosphere as Derrick Johnson you're truly delusional.
Quote:There is absolutely no way Poz is a top 5 linebacker in the league, how much football do you watch?

1. NaVorro Bowman

2. Patrick Willis

3. Luke Kuchley

4. Daryl Washington

5. Brian Cushing

6. Donald Butler

7. Sean Lee

8. Lawrence Timmons

9. Bobby Wagner

10. Derrick Johnson

11. Brandon Spikes

12. James Laurinitis

13. Mason Foster

14. DeMeco Ryans

Are some of the guys off the top of my head that play at a higher level than Poz, he's a middle of the road linebacker. If you think he's in the same stratosphere as Derrick Johnson you're truly delusional.

I'd put Poz above DeMeco Ryans (post injury)
Pages: 1 2 3