Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I love that Caldwell will target DLine and Oline in early FA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From ESPN.com

"No team had fewer sacks in 2013 than the Jacksonville Jaguars, which also had major issues blocking on their offensive line. So it is no surprise that general manager Dave Caldwell said Thursday that he intends to target starter-quality players for his D-line and O-line during free agency. Caldwell plans to be active as soon as the free-agent market opens next month." 

“We need to target guys and be aggressive with that and then just let the market settle where opportunities present itself a week or two later,” Caldwell said

Looks like early in FA we will go after the Dline and Oline and are willing to pay decent money for them, so expect us to call guys like Alex Mack, Hardy, and Bennett among others, then wait it out on other filler positions then get the rest in the draft

Would be nice.. Hope we can sell them on jax
They also said we'd be looking at middle-tier free agents. So I wouldn't expect to see Mack, Hardy, Bennett, Orakpo or Michael Johnson in a Jaguars uniform in March.

Swing for the fences. You have the money. Improve that top 1/3 of the roster.
Quote:They also said we'd be looking at middle-tier free agents. So I wouldn't expect to see Mack, Hardy, Bennett, Orakpo or Michael Johnson in a Jaguars uniform in March.

The middle-tier FA comment was about our strategy last year.

He has made it clear it's time to address the top 1/3 of the roster, which implies players of higher quality than "middle-tier"
The closer we get, the more I suspect we are going to throw some big money around. Just a hunch.

Quote:The closer we get, the more I suspect we are going to throw some big money around. Just a hunch.

<strong>I agree and I said the same thing on this site and on Jaguars.com.  Both places I was ridiculed because *we tried that once and got burnt*.

</strong>

<strong><strong><span style="color:#222222;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">This whole conversation about it not working or being too risky is BS.

</span></span></strong></strong>

<strong>I trust Dave and Gus will evaluate FA and at least try to sign guys.

</strong>

<strong>These high end/big name FA’s are going to sign with somebody.  Might as well be the Jaguars.  We need to get over the inferiority complex and make [BLEEP] happen.

</strong>

If this is true.....and we throw some big money around wisely in FA.....this team could improve to average next year.
I want 1 high prices signing this tear, and then some middle tier guys.
Quote:From ESPN.com

"No team had fewer sacks in 2013 than the Jacksonville Jaguars, which also had major issues blocking on their offensive line. So it is no surprise that general manager Dave Caldwell said Thursday that he intends to target starter-quality players for his D-line and O-line during free agency. Caldwell plans to be active as soon as the free-agent market opens next month." 

“We need to target guys and be aggressive with that and then just let the market settle where opportunities present itself a week or two later,” Caldwell said

Looks like early in FA we will go after the Dline and Oline and are willing to pay decent money for them, so expect us to call guys like Alex Mack, Hardy, and Bennett among others, then wait it out on other filler positions then get the rest in the draft
The lack of uncertainity at Center with Brad retired makes signing Alex Mack a great move if he is willing to play in Jacksonville without breaking the bank.

Michael Bennett is a no brainer since he has already worked under both Gus and the DL coach in Seattle & knows what they expect from him, I would even say that going on the high end would be worth it considering the NEED to really improve the pass rush for the last decade (especially if they do sign Clowney having one on each end will crush any Luck the Colts will have of winning the division by passing...)
Quote:...signing Alex Mack a great move if he is willing to play in Jacksonville without breaking the bank.
Khalil got paid a long term contract worth about $8.2m per year, with $19m guaranteed, from the Panthers. Mack's agent is staring at that contract and smiling, knowing that his client is as good, if not better, than Khalil. The Browns could franchise him, but that tag is about $9m for a one year deal. Those numbers will be somewhere in the neighborhood needed to sign Mack. I like a good center, the captain of the OL, but not sure grabbing one at likely $8.5-9m per year is worth it. There are some good centers with high upside in this draft that would be a good 'bang for the buck'. I would rather use the top-dollar free agent money on a pass rusher personally.
Quote:I want 1 high prices signing this tear, and then some middle tier guys.

I just want the team to get better, I don't really care how much they do or don't spend.

I don't care how much we pay them, I just want guys that can make an impact.

Quote:The closer we get, the more I suspect we are going to throw some big money around. Just a hunch.

True, but I'd expect 2-3 Paztors instead of one Mack.

I'd also like to see a couple ends to compete like what they did at DT last season.

If there's big money thrown at one guy, I'd expect that guy to be a pass rusher.  We keep focusing on oline and the interior, but honestly the greatest need is and has been a pass rusher for a long, long time.
Quote:True, but I'd expect 2-3 Paztors instead of one Mack.

I'd also like to see a couple ends to compete like what they did at DT last season.

If there's big money thrown at one guy, I'd expect that guy to be a pass rusher. We keep focusing on oline and the interior, but honestly the greatest need is and has been a pass rusher for a long, long time.

But its also important not to spend too much on one guy like the Mario Williams deal. Bring in more than one guy like the Seahawks did with Bennett and Avril.
Get me Jon Asamoah and I'll be happy, possibly move Uche back to LG, and then draft a center.
Quote:But its also important not to spend too much on one guy like the Mario Williams deal. Bring in more than one guy like the Seahawks did with Bennett and Avril.

Its like playcalling.

Run on 3rd and 10 and make it. You're a genius. Miss and you're a moron.

Spend a record breaking deal on a guy and he dominates... etc.

Its all down to doing your homework and a big dose of luck.
If we can get our offensive line squared away, it makes bringing in a rookie qb a hell of a lot easier. In terms of development and success. Sign a center and guard, then go after a couple of DEs. Bennett wouldn't solve the LEO, but it'd knock Tyson Alualu out of the line up.
IM glad they have said they plan to be active on both lines even if we already knew they would. I hope they give the money to thr right players this time around, its hard not to be scared about getting burned in FA again but I have faith and hope for the best still.

Quote:Its like playcalling.

Run on 3rd and 10 and make it. You're a genius. Miss and you're a moron.

Spend a record breaking deal on a guy and he dominates... etc.

Its all down to doing your homework and a big dose of luck.

Its not like Mario Williams has been bad. He is productive, but he can never live up to the contract.

Its better to get several guys and hope you hit on some rather than putting all eggs in one basket. Its the same with the draft.
Pages: 1 2