Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Bradley on 1010XL tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Little snippets from 1010XL retweets of Gus Bradley's call in to the radio show tonight.....

"There's a lot of similarities scheme-wise between the Seahawks and how we're trying to build our defense."

"We're going to build through 1. The draft 2. Free agency 3. Resigning key players"

"We still have the mindset to take the best player available."

On Clowney: "He's a dominating player. He's a guy that is talked about in high regard and there's no question why he is. It will be interesting to meet him one on one."

On the QB draft class: "They all have different strengths. Fortunately, with Jedd Fisch's system, it is adaptable to different traits."

On free agent acquisitions: "Offensive line is an area that intrigues us and we'll take a look at all the players available. Defensive line is always something you're looking at."

On the type of free agents the team targets: "Not only does he have to be a good player, but he has to share the vision."

On Henne: "He made really good progress. He's got a chance to get better in the system. He also brought a lot of leadership."

Bradley also singled out Dee Ford and Derek Carr as standouts in the Senior Bowl.
Gus Bradley is the man. I think he really wants Clowney
He said we have lots of needs and hid mindset is still BAP. From that......what I take from this is either Clowney........or Watkins.......or the QB he covets......whoever is there at #3
I don't think we go QB in the first round unless there is someone we REALLY like. Clowney could be that dominant pass rusher that we haven't had in a long long time.

Since he commented on BAP - and since a portion of the folks here seem to have an issue with Caldwell stating he's a "needs" drafter....

I'll say what I've already stated one more time.  Drafting need is a low risk option when the roster has so many needs (and it does).  As those needs decrease in number - it only makes sense that we'll see more BAP.  

I'm sure these guys would throw "need" out the window when the BAP is clearly more value than the nearest "need guy."  

Worrying about draft philosophy is a waste of energy as these guys are smart enough to not pass on a major impact guy to take a need position.

Quote:Since he commented on BAP - and since a portion of the folks here seem to have an issue with Caldwell stating he's a "needs" drafter....

I'll say what I've already stated one more time.  Drafting need is a low risk option when the roster has so many needs (and it does).  As those needs decrease in number - it only makes sense that we'll see more BAP - and even now, I'm sure these guys would  throw "need" out the window when the BAP is clearly more value than the nearest "need guy."  Worrying about draft philosophy is a waste of energy as these guys are smart enough to not pass on a major impact guy to take a need position.
As I recall reading in the past, Caldwell said he is a needs drafter, but does it by BAP. As an easy example, QB and DE/LEO are both huge needs. Just because we need a QB, doesn't mean he's going to reach for one. Since we're also in big need of a stud DE/LEO, if a DE ranks higher then whatever the best QB is on the board, they'll take the DE.

Now this is how I assumed it when I read his comments a long time ago. It very well could have just been a sneaky GM line that lets him cover both sides.
Clowney's upcoming combine numbers will assure him of being drafted 1 or 2 IMO.Really doubt he'll be there for us.If he is,Dave has an easy call to make

Dave also said with similar grades, he'll take the player that fits a need. Too often people on this board have a thought that BAP means the top player on a forced ranked propect list.
Would really like to move back in the first and take Dee Ford then go QB in the second if Teddy and Clowney are gone. I once wanted Ford with our #39 but after the senior bowl i see a team looking for him in the 20-30 range in the first.

Option A : Bridgewater in the first + Best DE in the second

Option B : Clowney in the first + Best QB in the second

Option C: Trade back for Ford + Best QB in the second + extra picks.

Id be fine with any of the combinations .

if Teddy and Clowney are gone by our pick, then we have no trade leverage.  We want trade leverage no matter what.

Quote:As I recall reading in the past, Caldwell said he is a needs drafter, but does it by BAP. As an easy example, QB and DE/LEO are both huge needs. Just because we need a QB, doesn't mean he's going to reach for one. Since we're also in big need of a stud DE/LEO, if a DE ranks higher then whatever the best QB is on the board, they'll take the DE.

Now this is how I assumed it when I read his comments a long time ago. It very well could have just been a sneaky GM line that lets him cover both sides.

Occam's Razor would agree.
I like Gus Bradley a lot.  I really hope he doesn't get hit with the, oh your team has sucked for two years, it is time to move on era. 

Quote:Would really like to move back in the first and take Dee Ford then go QB in the second if Teddy and Clowney are gone. I once wanted Ford with our #39 but after the senior bowl i see a team looking for him in the 20-30 range in the first.

Option A : Bridgewater in the first + Best DE in the second

Option B : Clowney in the first + Best QB in the second

Option C: Trade back for Ford + Best QB in the second + extra picks.

Id be fine with any of the combinations .

As long as the selections are our highest rated players, I completely agree.  As NYC stated, it's hard to miss when you have so many needs.  They just need to get the evaluation right and it should be simple choices selecting so high in each round.
Did yall see this? Those kids were ready to run through a wall for our coach.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgT8bbkGD0

"As long as the selections are our highest rated players, I completely agree.  As NYC stated, it's hard to miss when you have so many needs.  They just need to get the evaluation right and it should be simple choices selecting so high in each round."

Sorry can't get my quote to work correctly with new version of Internet Explorer.  I would amend that with all the needs we have you can't afford to reach or make bad choices.

Quote:"As long as the selections are our highest rated players, I completely agree. As NYC stated, it's hard to miss when you have so many needs. They just need to get the evaluation right and it should be simple choices selecting so high in each round."

Sorry can't get my quote to work correctly with new version of Internet Explorer. I would amend that with all the needs we have you can't afford to reach or make bad choices.

I agree,we absolutely can't afford to miss on the first 3rds or so.Gene Smith days need to be over
Blaylock:  ...Free agency needs? 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Gus:

Quote:Offensive line - we'll take a look at players available...  anyone who can add to our rush... you take a strong look at. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Random takeaway  -    Bradley values film evaluation much higher than combine performance when ranking prospect and made it clear that falling in love with a combine performance can be a trap. 

Quote:Blaylock: ...Free agency needs?

Gus:

Random takeaway - Bradley values film evaluation much higher than combine performance when ranking prospect and made it clear that falling in love with a combine performance can be a trap.

Jr amateur message board draftniks are the only ones that get all hot and bothered by the combine.

Scouts and coaches are there for the interviews and little else.
Quote:Jr amateur message board draftniks are the only ones that get all hot and bothered by the combine.

Scouts and coaches are there for the interviews and little else.

This and the medical evaluation is all that really matters from the combine.
Pages: 1 2 3