Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Renaldo Wynn Says Greg Williams Stole Jags Playbook in 1999
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
One more reason to hate the Titans
Titan scum. So angry.
...Tack hate. Wow.
Quote:...Tack hate. Wow.
They don't deserve upper case letters.

Never trust a tack...
I was at that game....we were the better team I thought.....should have beaten them by 2 TDs.......then in the 2nd half the luck ran out. Heck, we should have been in the Super Bowl against the Rams......I think we could have won it all. We had the best record in the NFL. Explains why they were the only team to beat us that year!
Wow.  That may have cost us a Super Bowl.  Cost Tom Coughlin his job in Jacksonville.  May be part of what keeps Fred Taylor out of the NFL Hall of Fame.  That's absolutely disgusting, and potentially worse than Spygate.

Quote:Wow.  That may have cost us a Super Bowl.  Cost Tom Coughlin his job in Jacksonville.  May be part of what keeps Fred Taylor out of the NFL Hall of Fame.  That's absolutely disgusting, and potentially worse than Spygate.

Way worse........if it can be proven......guy should be banned from football
Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...k-in-1999/

Bastards
I was at that game.

As if the results of that game and the memories weren't bad enough.

I taste throw up in my mouth.

I feel like he is the sleaziest guy in football, and that the organization needs a shower because he was coordinator for a year.
Quote:I was at that game....we were the better team I thought.....should have beaten them by 2 TDs.......then in the 2nd half the luck ran out. Heck, we should have been in the Super Bowl against the Rams......I think we could have won it all. We had the best record in the NFL. Explains why they were the only team to beat us that year!
If true, even when they had our playbook,  Taylor ran all over them in the first half of that game.  Jimmy Smith and Alvis Whitted could have made huge plays in the second half to knock them off.  I wonder about the Brunell pick in the end zone that game.  Had they not stolen our playbook that game...
Quote:I was at that game.

As if the results of that game and the memories weren't bad enough.

I taste throw up in my mouth.

I feel like he is the sleaziest guy in football, and that the organization needs a shower because he was coordinator for a year.

I was in Tennessee on vacation and attended the Jaguars vs.titans game in Nashville that season. The tacks steamrolled the Jaguars. Brunell and company could not get anything done. Now we may know why. If this is true, the fallout and effect on the Jaguars franchise was devastating.

Now he's reunited with Jeff Fisher. Great.
Quote:I was in Tennessee on vacation and attended the Jaguars vs.titans game in Nashville that season. The tacks steamrolled the Jaguars. Brunell and company could not get anything done. Now we may know why. If this is true, the fallout and effect on the Jaguars franchise was devastating.

Now he's reunited with Jeff Fisher. Great.

tbh the Jags should be given both of the Rams 1st round picks, as well as the Titans first round pick as retribution.  >_> 
In a way.....justice prevailed.....they lost the Super Bowl.....at the 1yd. line. We would have beaten the Rams that year. We were better.
Quote:tbh the Jags should be given both of the Rams 1st round picks, as well as the Titans first round pick as retribution. >_>

I agree with this.
I'll be looking forward to Tony Boselli's comments on next Thursday night's radio show....same with Lageman
Heart broken over this news. *sigh* what could have been.......

Brunell

Boselli

Taylor

Smith

McCardell

Brackens

Hardy

Darius

That team will forever be my favorite
Quote:I'll be looking forward to Tony Boselli's comments on next Thursday night's radio show....same with Lageman
If this turns out to be legit Boselli is gonna be livid
Meh, don't really care.

Everyone knows everyone plays.

He had a whole season of tape to watch, he knew every play we had we knew every play they had. Even if he did have the actual playbook, he presumably didn't know the game plan or the specific wrinkles for that game so I really dont see it as a difference maker.

They won because they played better.

Having the playbook is one thing. Knowing the plays being called in the Jaguars' offensive huddle is another.

In 1999, remember Jaguars' offensive coordinator Chris Palmer had left to become the head coach of the revived Cleveland Browns. Defensive coordinator Dick Jauron also left to become the Chicago Bears' head coach. 

The offense in 1999 was called by Tom Coughlin himself. We had no offensive coordinator. The defense was called by former Carolina Panthers' head coach and brand new Jaguars' defensive coordinator, Dom Capers.

I recall that LB Eddie Robinson left Jacksonville extremely angry that he was a goner in 1998. In 1996 he had signed on in Jacksonville after leaving the Houston Oilers while they were still in Texas. Eddie played linebacker for the Jaguars in 1996 along with rookie Kevin Hardy, and others. He also played for us in during the 1997 season. 

Eddie left bitter about being nudged out of his roster spot, and went back to The Oilers now relocated in Tennessee.

If Robinson took the Jaguars' offensive playbook to Jeff Fisher it sure didn't help. In 1998, the Jaguars and Oilers split the regular season one apiece. We beat them here in NFL Week 4 27-22, and we lost in Tennessee NFL Week 15 16-13. 

Just some background on Gregg Williams. From 1990 to 1996, he was the Oilers franchise defensive assistant, special teams, AND linebackers coach. Williams would have had a direct relationship with Robinson PRIOR to the time Robinson was in Jacksonville and after Eddie went back to his old team.

Gregg Williams had changed (while Robinson played for Tom Coughlin) from what he was (90-96) to the Oilers/Titans' defensive coordinator in 1997 and held that job until 2000, when he reluctantly left Jeff Fisher's side to become the Buffalo Bills head coach. The Bills were 3–13, 8–8, and 6–10 under his leadership.

Remember it's all possible that somebody was able to swipe a Jaguars' offensive playbook and hand it to Fisher for dissemination, but it's not like it was a talking playbook that told Fisher what plays were being called in the huddle.

It would be interesting to have the game video to look at, but unless you can see somebody beside Tom Coughlin signaling Fisher, it was really a case of the Jaguars being over-confident, reliant on the idea that a team doesn't lose to another NFL team three-consecutive times in the same year.

http://youtu.be/ZAYJz88cqM4

Personally, I think it had nothing to do with losing those cool white shoes, we lost because the Florida Times Union jinxed the Jaguars when they revealed....

JAGZILLA!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4