Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The future of MJD based on local media speculation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Boy, it doesn't matter what channel you tune to this week.  Whether it's on TV, in print, or on the radio, the talk is pretty much the same.  As MJD is making the rounds with the media in NY as part of the lead-up to the Super Bowl, it sounds like it's a foregone conclusion he's played his last game in a Jaguars uniform.

It really seems like the front office is allowing him to test free agency to get a sense for his value, and whatever he brings back to the team as an offer will be higher than they're willing to go.  It's a smart play for Caldwell to sit back and let the market take MJD rather than to appear as if they had no desire to retain the services of a player who is still popular among the fans.

I do think MJD will have other teams interested in his services, and they'll be more than willing to overpay him based on past performances. While I would have loved to see Jones-Drew finish his career as a Jaguar, his decline due to injury and mileage over the past couple of years can't be ignored.  He's on the back end of his career, and not worth a big or even middling contract at this point. 

He may very well move on and have a somewhat productive year for another team.  But, it's just as likely he'll give another team similar production to what we've seen over the past couple of seasons as those injuries and that mileage continue to hamper his game.

In watching, hearing, or reading these reports, it's clear he won't be a Jaguar next season, ending a chapter for one of the better players this franchise has ever had the privilege to have on the roster.

The team will survive, and I would imagine they'll find a new star to fill that role.  For his time here in Jacksonville, he really was the most visible player on the roster, and a media favorite.  Even with the holdout and the incident with the bouncer, I don't think he tainted his legacy too much. It's a shame he can't end things where he started, but that's the way things go in the modern NFL. 

no real loss to be honest, he hasn't been the same for a while. Besides we need to build around a QB not a RB moving forward, hopefully David can find whoever that QB needs to be this offseason. They've got their work cut out for them that's for sure.

I come to the same conclusion after watching a couple MJD interviews during this past week. It will be odd seeing him in another jersey.
I accepted this around the middle of this season, but I'll still miss him in teal.  Granted, I think he may be shocked to see a less that enthusiastic market for his services, but I'm sure one team will talk themselves into overpaying.  

-ScrewDrvr-

Will be a sad day, but at least he isnt retiring, we can still watch him play.

Quote:Will be a sad day, but at least he isnt retiring, we can still watch him play.
Hopefully for someone in the NFC....
He's still better than Todman/Forsett/Denard. Tre Mason INC. Though he may be gone before the third round and we're not drafting him in the 2nd
Also Poz is the face of the franchise unless we draft Teddy/Johnny
I think this'll be similar to letting Daryl go. I believe MJD can still be effective, but he's too old to be a piece to build around and Caldwell is in it for the long haul
Weird to lose the face of the franchise like that.  Still, it's probably for the best.  MJD's best years are likely behind him.  

Wonder where he'll end up if not back in Jacksonville.  Best landing spot for him might be the Falcons.  I could see him going to the Browns though. 
In two separate interviews I heard him refer to the Jags as "that franchise" when referencing the team. As in " I understand  that franchise has to do what they feel necessary in regards to me". Granted, while what he is saying is indeed true,  it makes him appear cold towards the team he has been a part of for so long in my opinion. I believe he holds much contempt towards the Jags for the way he was handled during the holdout.

The Jags as a team and us as fans don't owe MJD anything. He was well compensated for his time here and it is certainly obvious he feels the same. If he is back that is alright, if he is not, it will not be that hard to replace his recent production.

Quote:In two separate interviews I heard him refer to the Jags as "that franchise" when referencing the team. As in " I understand that franchise has to do what they feel necessary in regards to me". Granted, while what he is saying is indeed true, it makes him appear cold towards the team he has been a part of for so long in my opinion. I believe he holds much contempt towards the Jags for the way he was handled during the holdout.

The Jags as a team and us as fans don't owe MJD anything. He was well compensated for his time here and it is certainly obvious he feels the same. If he is back that is alright, if he is not, it will not be that hard to replace his recent production.
MJD never got to experience the success Taylor did
Quote:MJD never got to experience the success Taylor did
MJD has said repeatedly that it's a business and it is about the money. In that regard, without looking up contract details, I would venture to say he experienced more success than Freddie T did. Financially I mean. Freddie was willing to take a pay cut to stay, MJD? not so much.
Quote:MJD has said repeatedly that it's a business and it is about the money. In that regard, without looking up contract details, I would venture to say he experienced more success than Freddie T did. Financially I mean. Freddie was willing to take a pay cut to stay, MJD? not so much.
I was speaking in regards to winning. Recent organization, coaches, roster, and GMs were just too heavy for MJD to carry
Quote:I was speaking in regards to winning. Recent organization, coaches, roster, and GMs were just too heavy for MJD to carry
Fully agree. The team has been really bad around him for quite some time. Things are starting to change and for him it is to late. Folks like us cannot even begin to know what it feels like to be considered old at 28.
Hopefully he doesn't pull a Greg Jones and go to a division rival.  That would probably actually make me shed a tear or two.

Quote:Hopefully he doesn't pull a Greg Jones and go to a division rival. That would probably actually make me shed a tear or two.
Colts? They still need a RB right?
Quote:Colts? They still need a RB right?
I would hate that. But I will admit that would be a good set up.
Quote:Hopefully he doesn't pull a Greg Jones and go to a division rival. That would probably actually make me shed a tear or two.

Poor Greg Jones thought he was going to win more games than the Jags this year.
Quote:Weird to lose the face of the franchise like that. Still, it's probably for the best. MJD's best years are likely behind him.

Wonder where he'll end up if not back in Jacksonville. Best landing spot for him might be the Falcons. I could see him going to the Browns though.

Oh, God bless him if he goes to Cleveland.
Pages: 1 2 3 4