Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is it ever a good idea to try and re-connect with an old friend of the opposite sex?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious about this one....

Suppose you haven't spoke in like 10+ years, is it best to just let it go, or have you any experiences like this where it turned out as something good?

Depends on the type of "friend" I'd guess.

Caldrac is needed here.

Quote:Caldrac is needed here.

Was thinking the same thing. Laughing 
Is this a friend...or a "friend"?
Quote:Is this a friend...or a "friend"?

Well.....it was just a friend.....and then towards the (end time) time of the last I spoke with her (over 10 years ago) I think she wanted more than that....but I was already dating someone else (granted not "steady" at that time, but I really was into the woman I was dating so I had tunnel vision). I think she got mad at me for not feeling the same way, so we kinda lost touch after that.... 

If its just a friend. Go for it, what is the worst that can happen? I often look at things like facebook and say dang I should spend a day just sending messages to old buddies I dont talk to any more.

If its a 'friend' then while I would never say never, its extremely risky. The chances of both parties being on the same page is pretty slim and the chance of one or both of you getting hurt is pretty high. Maybe making sure everyone's intentions are clear from the start is the way to go, but I dont know. The only time I did it, it was pretty damn awkward.

Quote:Well.....it was just a friend.....and then towards time of the last I spoke with her (over 10 years ago) I think she wanted more than that....but I was already dating someone else (granted not "steady" at that time, but I really was into the woman I was dating so I had tunnel vision). I think she got mad at me for not feeling the same way, so we kinda lost touch after that....

If she's not an "ex"...there is nothing wrong with it.
Quote:If she's not an "ex"...there is nothing wrong with it.

She's not an ex.....but in regards to "ex's" thats always a no-no? 
Quote:She's not an ex.....but in regards to "ex's" thats always a no-no?
Not always...it depends on why and how you broke up. If you stop yourself and think about the relationship, people are exs for a reason. That should be your guide to whether you do it or not.
Quote:Not always...it depends on why and how you broke up. If you stop yourself and think about the relationship, people are exs for a reason. That should be your guide to whether you do it or not.

I've always struggled with some breakups with how you can be so close with someone at one given point of your life and then for whatever reason, you break up and then time moves on and its like you never even existed to that other person. I've been on the side to do the breaking part with women, and yet, I can still remain friends, or at least not treat them like they are complete strangers. So I don't relate to this attitude that a few in the past have seemed to relay. 

Quote:I've always struggled with some breakups with how you can be so close with someone at one given point of your life and then for whatever reason, you break up and then time moves on and its like you never even existed to that other person. I've been on the side to do the breaking part with women, and yet, I can still remain friends, or at least not treat them like they are complete strangers. So I don't relate to this attitude that a few in the past have seemed to relay.

Are you talking about just making contact to talk and see how they're doing, or making contact to see if you hit if off because you're still interested in them? I think our answers are geared more toward the second reason.
Quote:Are you talking about just making contact to talk and see how they're doing, or making contact to see if you hit if off because you're still interested in them? I think our answers are geared more toward the second reason.

I dunno, really. For some reason she just popped into my head out of almost nowhere. Being "interested" in her in that way is an unknown, as I don't even know how we'd hit it off at this point if we did re-connect. Lots of variables. 

btw what I was speaking of in the quote you responded to was not of her, but of a few other women. 

Quote:If its just a friend. Go for it, what is the worst that can happen? I often look at things like facebook and say dang I should spend a day just sending messages to old buddies I dont talk to any more.

If its a 'friend' then while I would never say never, its extremely risky. The chances of both parties being on the same page is pretty slim and the chance of one or both of you getting hurt is pretty high. Maybe making sure everyone's intentions are clear from the start is the way to go, but I dont know. The only time I did it, it was pretty damn awkward.

Well, thats probably going to be the hard part too.... finding a way to contact her.... I haven't seen her on FB. 

I say go for it. Friends make our life rich no matter how much income we make. The more friends you have, the richer your life is.
Live Más

It is 100% okay if you don't love the person you are with.

Totally :yes:

You know? as long as their heart, or their emotional well being as a human isn't being considered. What they don't know will only kill them if they did know. :yes:

Oh what the heck, they are resilient. ... Right? :whistling:

Quote:It is 100% okay if you don't love the person you are with.

Totally :yes:

You know? as long as their heart, or their emotional well being as a human isn't being considered. What they don't know will only kill them if they did know. :yes:

Oh what the heck, they are resilient. ... Right? :whistling:

TMD is single...so I don't think this will be a problem. :no:
If TMD and this woman didn't hook up previously, one wonders if exposure to his contributions to this message board would help or hinder his cause?

Quote:If TMD and this woman didn't hook up previously, one wonders if exposure to his contributions to this message board would help or hinder his cause?

lol, why exactly would it matter? pertaining to your perceived shot here?? If my posting is a hinderance it would be for both cases. duhhhh.....
Pages: 1 2