Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: American Football is a step closer to becoming an official Olympic sport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ameri...024-121013

The IFAF has been approved official provisional status. The IFAF hopes that the Sport will be playable by the 2024 Olympics.

The idea that American Football shouldn't be played at the Olympics simply because it's not "Popular" enough, is officially a myth. Many Countries do play the Sport. Even in places that you wouldn't expect like India, Nigeria, and the former Soviet Union.

Here's the official members list from the IFAF website: http://ifaf.org/countries/federation_list

People also say that even if Football does become an Olympic Sport, than the U.S would automatically have an unfair advantage with NFL players like Peyton Manning, but that does not necessarily have to be the case. The IOC could simply do the same thing that it did with Basketball and the NBA prior to the 1992 Olympics, and limit it to non-professional football athletes in College, High School, and other Amateur athletes.

Might be enough to get me to watch the olympics. 

It would be cool to see football in the Olympics but, how would you schedule it within the two weeks? I don't see how they can have a tournament in two weeks unless they played ever two to three days. Could be rough on the players.
I think football in the Olympics would suck.

That is all.
I don't think you'd see to many NFL players signing up for a tournament style game. You'd probably see some players that would work towards just playing on an Olympic team and that would make it pretty competitive with other countries. I'd watch it, but I just like football in general. Heck I watch the CFL when I come across games all the time.

No.

Quote:It would be cool to see football in the Olympics but, how would you schedule it within the two weeks? I don't see how they can have a tournament in two weeks unless they played ever two to three days. Could be rough on the players.
It's pretty much impossible to get enough games in. They would have to cap the amount of countries able to field teams. Seems silly to try and fit it in. 

Now a world cup style tournament over a couple months would be more feasible.
You really can't allow anyone in or anyone with the intent to join the NFL for a very long time until other countries are able to put together nice teams.

Otherwise it'll be Canada vs. USA with the USA winning 64-0 every olympics.

Quote: 

Otherwise it'll be Canada vs. USA with the USA winning 64-0 every olympics.
I'm fine with that. Smile
Quote:It would be cool to see football in the Olympics but, how would you schedule it within the two weeks? I don't see how they can have a tournament in two weeks unless they played ever two to three days. Could be rough on the players.
This would have to be the biggest question.

One potential thing they could do would be to have qualifying stages throughout. London spanned 16 days. If you whittled down the field to 8 that actually make the field for the olympics it could be done. 4 games the first day of competition. Semis in the middle, and finals the last day of competition.

Losers of semis play the last day for 3rd.

The only down side is the number of teams who make it to the Olympics itself.
Yes.

Who are we going to play?

Don't underestimate the Chinese National team.

I don't see how they can make it even remotely competitive. Even if they use just college players, I would think the advantage for the US would still be extreme. 

Quote:I don't see how they can make it even remotely competitive. Even if they use just college players, I would think the advantage for the US would still be extreme. 
I Don't think college players who have NFL potential would play (many at least). The chance of injury is to high, and that's risking a lot of money potentially. Even with fielding guys who aren't (most likely) going to be playing in the pros, the USA team would still be very good.
Quote:I Don't think college players who have NFL potential would play (many at least). The chance of injury is to high, and that's risking a lot of money potentially. Even with fielding guys who aren't (most likely) going to be playing in the pros, the USA team would still be very good.

I agree. Most of the CFL is made up of those types of players, so it's not like Canada is going to pose a threat either. I just don't understand how this would work. At least with baseball and basketball there are a LOT of international players playing in the top level professionally, and they are pretty good too. 
I don't get it.

American Football gets in that is pretty much an America-specific sport and Wrestling is out?

Quote:I don't get it.

American Football gets in that is pretty much an America-specific sport and Wrestling is out?

They should add WWE wrestling to it...that would liven things up!! Lol
Quote:They should add WWE wrestling to it...that would liven things up!! Lol

I hope I never ever live to see the day where Vince McMahon is a focal point of the Olympics. Then again, I tend to be cranky at times.
If they are specifically talking about American outdoor football - three downs, 11 men, 100 yards, goal posts behind the end zones - Canadians will basically be learning a new sport. It can't be done. A sport must have the same basic rules everywhere it is played to really be considered viable for the Olympics. That is not a problem in basketball. No matter where you live, it is 5 on 5. But the CFL has 12 on 12, a longer and wider field, goal posts on the goal lines, and only two downs before they punt. How can you get them to play American style football?

I don't think cramming three rounds of games into 16 days should be a problem. Would could be problematic is the fact that this means if a player is injured in the quarterfinal, he can't come back for a later game, so by the final round every team's roster will be depleted.

Pages: 1 2