Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texans to hire Romeo Crennel as Def Coordinator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
per rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Texans will hire Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator.

Marvez adds that new coach Bill O'Brien has decided to let all of the assistants from Gary Kubiak's staff out of their contracts, and that includes former defensive boss Wade Phillips. Crennel has been out of the league since "leading" the Chiefs to a 2-14 record in 2012. Long a two-gap 3-4 defensive coach, we hope Crennel doesn't turn J.J. Watt into a block-occupying defensive lineman, and rather allows Watt to continue to create havoc.

TMD take: Crennel as head coach sucks. Crennel as Defensive Coordinator - "only", is one of the best in the sport. 

O'Brien isn't messing around when he said that he planned to orchestrate a top notch coaching staff. 

O' Brien has been an NFL head coach for 2 days and already you can tell that he gets it. He understands whats important and what wins in the NFL. Bad for us. 
Yup. Crennel is a terrific DC
Good hire by Houston. I believe those two have worked together before? 
Quote:Good hire by Houston. I believe those two have worked together before? 

Possibly. I guess thats why it helps to hire head coaches who may have "worked together" with some successful people in the past, because those same "successful people" might just be part of the coaching staff. 

Quote:Possibly. I guess thats why it helps to hire head coaches who may have "worked together" with some successful people in the past, because those same "successful people" might just be part of the coaching staff. 

It'll be daunting competition, undoubtedly. 

Good news is that it looks like Tennessee is going to keep their head coach.  :thumbsup:
Quote:It'll be daunting competition, undoubtedly. 

Good news is that it looks like Tennessee is going to keep their head coach.  :thumbsup:

The word is that Tennessee is leaning that way, but nothing is official at this point. I'd like for them to keep Munchak for the next 20 years. 

To be honest, it makes sense in Tennesssee's current situation and the current league environment to just stand pat for another year with their coaching staff. Houston and Indy will be battling it out for the division, and probably both sweep the Titans, and the Jags will have a bad season again next year, but will get those culture definining 2 wins against Tennessee next season, which will help in steering Tennessee towards the 1st overall pick and Jameis Winston next draft. If Tennessee changed coaches now, they'd probably still be bad next year, but might snag a few more wins, maybe 1 against the Jags and would hurt their chances for Winston. Besides, at this point of this offseason, most of the best coaching candidates and quality assistant coaching material are gone. Better for the Titans to try and get the best available next offseason. Big picture. 

Good hire for them. I think O'Brien is extremely overrated, though.

Quote:The word is that Tennessee is leaning that way, but nothing is official at this point. I'd like for them to keep Munchak for the next 20 years. 

To be honest, it makes sense in Tennesssee's current situation and the current league environment to just stand pat for another year with their coaching staff. Houston and Indy will be battling it out for the division, and probably sweep the Titans, and the Jags will have a bad season again next year, but will get those culture definining 2 wins against Tennessee next season, which will help in steering Tennessee towards the 1st overall pick and Jameis Winston next draft. If Tennessee changed coaches now, they'd probably still be bad next year, but might snag a few more wins, maybe 1 against the Jags and would hurt their chances for Winston. Big picture. 

That's the worst case scenario, yes. I doubt its likelihood though. 
Quote:Good hire for them. I think O'Brien is extremely overrated, though.

Winning despite adversity is never overrated. 
Quote:Winning despite adversity is never overrated. 

You panic too much. Worry about your own team.
Quote:You panic too much. Worry about your own team.

Nothing "panic" about it. I just can see and acknowledge quality when I see it. More "anger" and "jealousy" than "panic". Why don't we ever get the top notch coach? Well, we did with Tom Coughlin....O Brien was easily the top candidate available on the market this offseason. 

I am concerned about my own team. We rarely seem to make the same amount of "quality" moves/ decisions as other divisional teams, thus ultimately keeping us in the same position or close for the better part of the last 14 years. 

Quote:Nothing "panic" about it. I just can see and acknowledge quality when I see it. 

I do worry about my own team. We rarely seem to make the same amount of "quality" moves/ decisions as other divisional teams, thus ultimately keeping us in the same position or close for the better part of the last 14 years.
Why not give the current guys some time before you say they aren't quality moves/decisions? Four years down the road maybe the texans fans will be saying, "why can't we find good guys like Jacksonville?"
Quote:Nothing "panic" about it. I just can see and acknowledge quality when I see it. More "anger" and "jealousy" than "panic". Why don't we ever get the top notch coach? Well, we did with Tom Coughlin....O Brien was easily the top candidate available on the market this offseason. 

I am concerned about my own team. We rarely seem to make the same amount of "quality" moves/ decisions as other divisional teams, thus ultimately keeping us in the same position or close for the better part of the last 14 years. 

So, you call hiring a college coach as a 1st time NFL head coach a top notch coach? Why don't you wait for some results before you put O'Brien in the HOF. Historically, the Bill Belichick tree has produced failures as head coaches. No reason to think this will be different.

Can you honestly complain about the job Gus has done so far? Wait... i'm sure you can.
Quote:Why not give the current guys some time before you say they aren't quality moves/decisions? Four years down the road maybe the texans fans will be saying, "why can't we find good guys like Jacksonville?"

Because you get signs about how the current guys are going to pan out. Bradley is already one behind the gun than O Brien, due to the fact that O Brien had head coaching experience upon getting his first NFL HC gig. 

A big key/ plus for Bradley to have success/ or not was hiring top notch Coordinators. That did not happen. Babich & Fisch are not top notch and Babich might be bottom 1/3rd in the league as DC. Theres precedence for him. O Brien goes out and instantly hires one of the best DC's in the sport. 

There are signs where the current regime is headed....and IMO, its not much higher than what we've seen around here lately. 

Texans need a QB, need to replace an aging WR, a RB who can't stay healthy, and JJ Watt's is a free agent next year, so they will probably franchise him in 2015 and be forced to sign him to a monster contract in 2016. Not to mention, near the bottom of the NFL in cap space

Texans are headed towards a rebuild before we know it!

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-cap-space-1/

Quote:So, you call hiring a college coach as a 1st time NFL head coach a top notch coach? Why don't you wait for some results before you put O'Brien in the HOF. Historically, the Bill Belichick tree has produced failures as head coaches. No reason to think this will be different.

Can you honestly complain about the job Gus has done so far? Wait... i'm sure you can.

O Brien won 4 different COTY awards last season. He's managed to field a winning season both years at PSU when probably few other coaches would have been able to do so in that adversity filled situation. 

As for the BB tree.....once again, the difference is that O' Brien has head coaching experience upon getting his NFL gig, did any of the others from the BB coaching tree?

Gus hired very weak Coordinators. If Gus fails, they will be a big reason why. Otherwise, what has Gus done so far thats so great? Beating a few also bad teams is nothing special. Maybe if the Jags would have had a moment where they upset an actual good team on the schedule you could crow. The Jags also produced their franchise worst ever point differential under Gus. yeah...."impressive"....

Quote:Texans need a QB, need to replace an aging WR, a RB who can't stay healthy, and JJ Watt's is a free agent next year, so they will probably franchise him in 2015 and be forced to sign him to a monster contract in 2016. Texans are headed towards a rebuild before we know it!

LOL, and the Texans have the 1st overall pick in a draft that has one of the best QB prospects that you'll usually see at the top of a draft. Plus the first pick in every round. 

The needs will be taken care of. 
Quote:LOL, and the Texans have the 1st overall pick in a draft that has one of the best QB prospects that you'll usually see at the top of a draft. Plus the first pick in every round. 

We will see, won't we. They still need to draft the right players. Draft position doesn't guarantee picking the right people.
Quote:LOL, and the Texans have the 1st overall pick in a draft that has one of the best QB prospects that you'll usually see at the top of a draft. Plus the first pick in every round. 

All a part of the grand scheme to ensure the Jags suck
TMD has no faith in our team. His mindset is the only way we can be good is if everyone around us isn't. The Hawks and 9ers go up against the best constantly and the fans believe their team can win. They don't need to worry about whats going on outside their yard. They believe in what they built and what they have.

Pages: 1 2 3 4