Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Man Paralyzed From DUI Crash Sues Two Bars and Settles for $6.6 Million
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Man Paralyzed From DUI Crash Sues Two Bars and Settles for $6.6 Million

Two bars in East Stroudsburg, Penn., that were sued by a man paralyzed due to drinking and driving have reached a settlement in the case. The bars will pay the man a combined $6.6 million.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/m...66-million

I"m guessing Darwin never met a guy like this...

Key term is "settles."

They agreed to pay it, so there you go.

If they don't have the stones to go to trial, them i have zero problem with this.
Quote:Key term is "settles."

If they don't have the stones to go to trial, them i have zero problem with this.

I don't think it's a matter of having the stones as opposed to choosing the cheapest path.  Many times a settlement is less expensive than lawyers.
Same thing happened down here in West Palm Beach. Not only did the family sue the bars, they got the closing time changed from 5am to 2am.
I'm gonna drink til I'm stupid drunk then blame someone else for it! Alrighty then... :confused:
Quote:I'm gonna drink til I'm stupid drunk then blame someone else for it! Alrighty then... :confused:

...'murica
Quote:Key term is "settles."

Quote:I don't think it's a matter of having the stones as opposed to choosing the cheapest path.  Many times a settlement is less expensive than lawyers.

BOOM!, Nate. :woot:
Quote:I'm gonna drink til I'm stupid drunk then blame someone else for it! Alrighty then... :confused:

But not surprising, not even a little bit.
Quote:But not surprising, not even a little bit.

That's the sad part... Sad
Bars have an extremely high liability. I know a couple bar owners and they pay very high insurance policies because of instants like this. I believe if they serve someone that is "overly intoxicated" they hold a legal liability right or wrong. Where's that line when someone is overly intoxicated is beyond me.

Quote:Bars have an extremely high liability. I know a couple bar owners and they pay very high insurance policies because of instants like this. I believe if they serve someone that is "overly intoxicated" they hold a legal liability right or wrong. Where's that line when someone is overly intoxicated is beyond me.

Correct. If you continue to serve a patron who is overly intoxicated, it becomes the responsibility of the bar.
Quote:BOOM!, Nate. :woot:
. I
Quote:BOOM!, Nate. :woot:

Saying the same thing......trial is ALWAYS about risk and there are always considerations of best day/worst day in Court.

The point is, if the bars settled this, and this is their decision as opposed to going to trial, them why is this a story at all?

I get the feeling this was an attempt to display the "Omg the Courts are so broken!" when in fact, this is a fine example of keeping things OUT of Court and private companies/people making decisions they feel are right for them.
Quote:. I

Saying the same thing......trial is ALWAYS about risk and there are always considerations of best day/worst day in Court.

The point is, if the bars settled this, and this is their decision as opposed to going to trial, them why is this a story at all?

I get the feeling this was an attempt to display the "Omg the Courts are so broken!" when in fact, this is a fine example of keeping things OUT of Court and private companies/people making decisions they feel are right for them.

nate, you of all people should know the drill by now. If lawyers are involved, they are the cause of all problems, relevant or not.
Quote:nate, you of all people should know the drill by now. If lawyers are involved, they are the cause of all problems, relevant or not.

Not "all" problems, just the one that replaces cash with cobwebs in your wallet. :woot:
Lawyer joke time!

What's the difference between roadkill and a dead lawyer in the middle of the road?

There are skid marks in front of the roadkill.

Nobody likes a good joke more than me, and I'm sure there are more than a few dirtbags lawyers. However, I have 2 attorneys in my family and they are the most ethical and honorable people I've ever met.

Nobody likes lawyers until they need a good one.

Quote:Nobody likes a good joke more than me, and I'm sure there are more than a few dirtbags lawyers. However, I have 2 attorneys in my family and they are the most ethical and honorable people I've ever met.

True, and as Paul McCartney once said....there is good & bad....in everyone. 
Quote:Lawyer joke time!

What's the difference between roadkill and a dead lawyer in the middle of the road?

There are skid marks in front of the roadkill.

What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?....

A good start. :woot: Laughing

Quote:Nobody likes a good joke more than me, and I'm sure there are more than a few dirtbags lawyers. However, I have 2 attorneys in my family and they are the most ethical and honorable people I've ever met.

You get what you pay for. There is a reason that some clients pay Millions, and others pay Hundreds. For the most part, it is pretty simple. Not always, but the norm is the difference between a 5 hour trial, and a 5 week trial.
Pages: 1 2