Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blackmon's Millions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nothing new here, but I didn't realize the Millions Blackmon will be out due to his suspension until I read this article. Hopefully others find it interesting too.

Hopefully being hit in the pocket book will help Blackmon right his ship.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jaso...suspension
Mad Dog and Boones Farm are still pretty cheap..

It would be so much easier if he just gets his act together.

Quote:It would be so much easier if he just gets his act together.
Yes, things would be easier if alcoholics could just stop drinking. Just like things would be so much easier if junkies could just stop doing heroin and if politicians could stop lying. Things would be so much easier indeed.
Quote:Yes, things would be easier if alcoholics could just stop drinking. Just like things would be so much easier if junkies could just stop doing heroin and if politicians could stop lying. Things would be so much easier indeed.
dosent work that way though.
Quote:Yes, things would be easier if alcoholics could just stop drinking. Just like things would be so much easier if junkies could just stop doing heroin and if politicians could stop lying. Things would be so much easier indeed.

Politicians can't stop lying.

That's like asking a fisherman to stop fishing.  once you stop fishing, you are no longer a fisherman.  
Hanging on to millions didn't motivate him at all.

While I hope he makes it back...I'm not holding my breath.

if you don't expect anything you won't be disappointed......AGAIN.

Besides, this is really old news to be cranking out Dec 22.

Why doesn't this writer update on how he's doing?

Quote:Nothing new here, but I didn't realize the Millions Blackmon will be out due to his suspension until I read this article. Hopefully others find it interesting too.

Hopefully being hit in the pocket book will help Blackmon right his ship.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jaso...suspension
$7.1 million signing bonus, man the old regime was [BLEEP].

He showed sparks of a glimmering star but it fizzled out as a dud due to his off field activites.
When Blackmon was suspended, one of the ESPN guys at the time thought his suspension is probably going to last at least one year due to the multiple offenses. If he is correct, we may not see him until the end of October 2014. I hope he was wrong, and he can come back to start the season.

I'm not sure why you always feel the need to respond this way to peoples opinions? 

Its not like Blackmon doesnt have the resources if he wanted to get help. 
well if he comes bk hes under contract and hell be cheap
Pretty much every substance abuser has the means to get help, if they choose...

And really, I never really thought about the politician part of it. How true, how true...

Well, if there is any semblance of a silver lining, it's that he has checked himself into a rehab facility.

Maybe it will help, though it is far from a guarantee.

Quote:$7.1 million signing bonus, man the old regime was [BLEEP].

He showed sparks of a glimmering star but it fizzled out as a dud due to his off field activites.
That was pretty much the standard signing bonus for a rookie drafted at that position.  How stupid of the front office (the same people who are STILL negotiating the contracts today) to give Blackmon a contract fitting of his draft selection!
Quote:Well, if there is any semblance of a silver lining, it's that he has checked himself into a rehab facility.

Maybe it will help, though it is far from a guarantee.
That is encouraging, but like you said, nothing is guaranteed.  If he goes from rehab back to the same people he was hanging out with before all of this nonsense, he'll more than likely be falling off the wagon as quickly as he jumped on it. 
The comments under that article gave my cat diabetes. 

Stephon Gilmore, the 10th pick in the draft, received a 7.288 million dollar signing bonus.  Morris Claiborne, the pick after Blackmon, received a 10.27 million dollar signing bonus.

You can criticize the previous regime for a great many things, this Blackmon contract is one of the few they should, arguably, be heavily praised for.

Quote:Stephon Gilmore, the 10th pick in the draft, received a 7.288 million dollar signing bonus.  Morris Claiborne, the pick after Blackmon, received a 10.27 million dollar signing bonus.

You can criticize the previous regime for a great many things, this Blackmon contract is one of the few they should, arguably, be heavily praised for.
Of course. However, the economy lit bulbs will use this as an example of the failures of the prior regime without any semblance of thought to the fact that the bonus paid was the rock bottom minimum it took to even get a deal done. I'm sure they would have been much happier had Blackmon never signed at all....
Quote:You can criticize the previous regime for a great many things, this Blackmon contract is one of the few they should, arguably, be heavily praised for.

You have to remember he had a  bust before he even hAD a contract.

His agent didn't have much choice.
Quote:You have to remember he had a  bust before he even hAD a contract.

His agent didn't have much choice.
Seriously???

He had one very clear choice. To either negotiate a contract and sign it, or to not sign a contract. That's a pretty big choice.

The contract that was signed was full of provisions that protected the franchise in the event that something like this happened again, yet provided a fair market deal to an elite player, given that the player fulfilled simple contractual obligations, like staying out of trouble of the law.

I'm sure everyone would have been thrilled had no contract ever been signed.
Pages: 1 2