Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I'm so happy right now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got such a good feeling about this team man, I think next year if we get that guy at QB we can really be a contender.. I love how almost all of our draft picks are QUALITY starters.. Caldwell is the man. Go Jags.. all I want for Christmas is a QB Santa come on bro.. 

Quote:I got such a good feeling about this team man, I think next year if we get that guy at QB we can really be a contender.. I love how almost all of our draft picks are QUALITY starters.. Caldwell is the man. Go Jags.. all I want for Christmas is a QB Santa come on bro..

I know man I'm excited also. I think with any QB our coaches will work him in nicely. The team will definitely have a lot of positive momentum going into next year! Can't wait to see who we draft...

I really don't want to take Manziel in the draft, but if we do I really trust our coaches to settle him down and slowly get better and better.
I still believe Guy and Evans are backs up on this team at the Safety position. Both are better suited at SS, while being decent at back up FS. We still need true FS for this Defense. Somebody like Earl Thomas (notice I said someone like Earl, because you don't find the best FS in the league that easy) who can play the single high with ease and cover sideline to sideline. I see a good amount of talk about Guy and Evans being the future at FS, but I disagree. Both should be kept as backups and flex starters in case of injury, but I don't think neither should be the starting FS for this Secondary.

Quote:I still believe Guy and Evans are backs up on this team at the Safety position. Both are better suited at SS, while being decent at back up FS. We still need true FS for this Defense. Somebody like Earl Thomas (notice I said someone like Earl, because you don't find the best FS in the league that easy) who can play the single high with ease and cover sideline to sideline. I see a good amount of talk about Guy and Evans being the future at FS, but I disagree. Both should be kept as backups and flex starters in case of injury, but I don't think neither should be the starting FS for this Secondary.
Depth is always good man, they might not be amazing but at least they have starting ability. 
Quote:Depth is always good man, they might not be amazing but at least they have starting ability. 
I never said anything about getting rid of them man. I think Prosinski gets cut and we find more of a true, rangy FS this off season/draft. I want to keep Guy and Evans as I think they're solid back ups. I just don't think either are meant to play the FS position for the long term, in this Secondary.

The more I think about it, I think Jairus Byrd would be a great signing for our FS position. He will be expensive, but I think he would fit perfect while they built the rest of the roster up. He just turned 27, is probably the 2nd or 3rd best FS in the league and would let us focus on other positions in the draft.
Quote:I never said anything about getting rid of them man. I think Prosinski gets cut and we find more of a true, rangy FS this off season/draft. I want to keep Guy and Evans as I think they're solid back ups. I just don't think either are meant to play the FS position for the long term, in this Secondary.

The more I think about it, I think Jairus Byrd would be a great signing for our FS position. He will be expensive, but I think he would fit perfect while they built the rest of the roster up. He just turned 27, is probably the 2nd or 3rd best FS in the league and would let us focus on other positions in the draft.
Byrd would be a brilliant signing. 
Quote:Byrd would be a brilliant signing. 

This! YES!!
I like the fact that we're finally putting an emphasis on speed and playmakers.   We're looking much faster now.

I'd love Byrd here, sadly we rarely ever get a top anything in FA so I doubt it happens. Maybe with the way this organization is turning around it will add some urgency to help move it as fast as possible. That with all of our cap available to spend, it should be an exciting off season I'm hoping.

Quote:I never said anything about getting rid of them man. I think Prosinski gets cut and we find more of a true, rangy FS this off season/draft. I want to keep Guy and Evans as I think they're solid back ups. I just don't think either are meant to play the FS position for the long term, in this Secondary.

Good take and i can agree on Evans though i like his potential he really isnt that sideline to sideline ball hawk FS. He is more of a box SS better suited to the short range and TE coverage in the intermediate range much like Cyprien but he lacks Cyprien's ability to take on the run as a 4th LB.

In pinch situations and certain sets where we might have 3 safeties on the field (something seattle did as well) then id like him as the other inside safety but he's not suited for that every down hold down the deep middle range safety much like you said.

Byrd on the other hand would be an amazing signing. Cost an arm and a leg but man think of Cyprien , Byrd  and Gratz in the same secondary.......

I feel for Prosinski at SS. He's not big enough since he weighs about 205. 
Byrd, Orakpo, and Mack are pretty much my top 3 FAs.  We'd have FA youth on our defense and a veteran center to anchor the line.  If Pasztor keeps improving and Joekel becomes what we expect him to, we'd make the playoffs for sure (depending on how we address QB, I suppose).  The downside, of course, is that these guys cost lots and we'd have to eventually resign them.

EDIT: Spelling

Quote:I still believe Guy and Evans are backs up on this team at the Safety position. Both are better suited at SS, while being decent at back up FS... I see a good amount of talk about Guy and Evans being the future at FS, but I disagree.
Evans showed some potential, but at the Broncos game at least, where I was really able to focus on him for a while, he was making lots of mental errors and picking up dumb penalties. The athleticism seemed to be there, though. He's not Byrd or Thomas, but who is?

Three-part reply:

1. Prosinski has been consistently terrible since being drafted. Even in the fourth round, he was a significant reach, and there were much better DBs (including Cortez Allen and Richard Sherman) picked up later. He's ok on special teams, but the fact that a sixth-round rookie and a second-year sixth-round pick have both managed to remain ahead of him on the safety depth chart says a lot.

2. Guy is a big hitter and a solid special teamer, from what I've seen, but he doesn't seem to be all that fast. A long-term backup at strong safety? Sure. He's a similar type of player to Cyprien and would fit well there, but he's not a Seattle-style free safety, and I don't really think for a second that he's a long-term starter there.

3. The idea of signing Byrd scares me a bit. Byrd is as big-name as free agents will get this year, and those guys are incredibly expensive. Is he a top-level talent? Yeah, but he plays a non-premium position. I'd rather see the team go after a guy like Antoine Bethea or Donte Whitner, someone who's a little older and won't command the same type of money, but will still be a stable veteran presence and allow the team to develop someone else behind them, be it a rookie or the Evans/Guy tandem.

Quote:I feel for Prosinski at SS. He's not big enough since he weighs about 205. 
Lots of NFL strong safeties are within a handful of lbs of him. T.J. Ward, the best strong safety you've never heard of, actually weighs less. It's not a size thing; it's a talent thing.

@ Tjbender:

1. on your 3rd point i dont see Whitner as having enough range and speed to play the deep middle safety. You need to be able to cover long distance and that has been his achilles heel throughout his career. Bethea is more suited but he is average at best IMO. If we somehow end up with a shot to lock down the FS position like that then it will be worth the money spent of Byrd.

2. The FS and SS might be non premium in other defenses but in ours they are the main playmakers and plays are designed to funnel the ball to them. One is asked to patrol the short middle and take on TE's , stuff running lanes and blitz the QB (SS) and the other handles everything that gets beyond the LBs(FS). Everything from 10 yards from the LOS and farther over the middle is the responsibility of the FS and he has to be extremely good at ball hawking for the D to hold up. If he sucks the QB will be able to easily target the deep middle and suddenly PA's are devastating.  

Other than that i agree with the rest of your post.
Bradley's system could really use a guy like Byrd. Hes the 2nd best centerfielder next to Earl Thomas in the league IMO.

Byrd + 2OL in FA and I would be extremely happy. Then focus on pass rusher in the draft.
I'd be very surprised if this team is active in free agency this offseason.  If anything, Caldwell is going to sign guys like he did this year.  Cheap guys who can contribute, or were overlooked by their teams.   

I don't see Bryd here, nor do I see Orakpo.  Mack?  Maybe.  Don't count on it though. 

If we land Byrd I'll cry tears of joy.
Quote:I'd be very surprised if this team is active in free agency this offseason.  If anything, Caldwell is going to sign guys like he did this year.  Cheap guys who can contribute, or were overlooked by their teams.   

I don't see Bryd here, nor do I see Orakpo.  Mack?  Maybe.  Don't count on it though. 

Our cap money has to go somewhere.
Quote:Evans showed some potential, but at the Broncos game at least, where I was really able to focus on him for a while, he was making lots of mental errors and picking up dumb penalties. The athleticism seemed to be there, though. He's not Byrd or Thomas, but who is?

Three-part reply:

1. Prosinski has been consistently terrible since being drafted. Even in the fourth round, he was a significant reach, and there were much better DBs (including Cortez Allen and Richard Sherman) picked up later. He's ok on special teams, but the fact that a sixth-round rookie and a second-year sixth-round pick have both managed to remain ahead of him on the safety depth chart says a lot.

2. Guy is a big hitter and a solid special teamer, from what I've seen, but he doesn't seem to be all that fast. A long-term backup at strong safety? Sure. He's a similar type of player to Cyprien and would fit well there, but he's not a Seattle-style free safety, and I don't really think for a second that he's a long-term starter there.

3. The idea of signing Byrd scares me a bit. Byrd is as big-name as free agents will get this year, and those guys are incredibly expensive. Is he a top-level talent? Yeah, but he plays a non-premium position. I'd rather see the team go after a guy like Antoine Bethea or Donte Whitner, someone who's a little older and won't command the same type of money, but will still be a stable veteran presence and allow the team to develop someone else behind them, be it a rookie or the Evans/Guy tandem.

Lots of NFL strong safeties are within a handful of lbs of him. T.J. Ward, the best strong safety you've never heard of, actually weighs less. It's not a size thing; it's a talent thing.
I've heard of TJ Ward, Madden gave him a high rating Big Grin
Quote:Byrd, Orakpo, and Mack are pretty much my top 3 FAs.  We'd have FA youth on our defense and a veteran center to anchor the line.  If Pasztor keeps improving and Joekel becomes what we expect him to, we'd make the playyof for sure (depending on how we address QB, I suppose).  The downside, of course, is that these guys cost lots and we'd have to eventually resign them.

WOW! If we can land those three FA's! That would be huge. HUGE I TELL YA!! Not sure what DC has on his mind but that would be a huge move.

if we land those three in FA, who cares what we get in the draft. LOL!
Pages: 1 2