Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Redzone Playcalling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
We're at the 1 yard line in the 4th quarter and have to score to tie. 

1st down - Outside hand-off gets stuffed because of a missed block.

2nd down - Quick shoulder pass to the right almost gets picked

3rd down - Throw the ball in triple coverage to get picked off

That is just pathetic play-calling in my opinion. I understand the loss of talent we had in this game, but the plays that were called wouldn't have worked even with those players.

It's more reliable to run Todman up the middle 4 times than it is to throw it to the defense carelessly. It makes me worry what the playcalling will be in the future when we're at the 1 yard line and a need to score. 

The last 2 were bad throws by Henne.

Especially the last throw, which was actually a throw away that didn't make it out of the end zone.
I thought the calls were fine, but the execution was about what you can expect from a career backup QB. I would have preferred a fake dive with a pitch to the outside (or a WR bubble screen) on first down, but that's just preference.
Todman was successful the whole game, there was no need to stop using him at the goaline. 

Quote:Todman was successful the whole game, there was no need to stop using him at the goal line. 
We were missing mjd when we were at the 1 yd line.
Henne is awful in the Red Zone.  Or at least he has been this year.  His rating in the Red Zone is something like... 51.  

Sounds like the play calling was fine. Fisch just got Henne'd. Fisch didn't tell him to throw into triple coverage.
Quote:Sounds like the play calling was fine. Fisch just got Henne'd. Fisch didn't tell him to throw into triple coverage.
Shouldn't Fisch know he was going to get Henne'd?
NOT the playcalling that was the problem...  The execution was.  I actually liked the sweep play on 1st down.  The 2 pass plays afterwards could have scored if we had a better QB with accuracy.  

This game wasn't on the coaches.  Sorry, but it just wasn't.  This game was on the players and alot of unfortunate luck and/or bad player execution.

I am pretty confident that the coaches will be able to re-focus the team and ensure these mental mistakes end.

Quote:Shouldn't Fisch know he was going to get Henne'd?

No, Fische should call plays that make sense for down and distance.  He did that.  The execution was lacking based on a lack of talent.  Not a lack of coaching or play calling.  

Sorry, Prophet.  I know this loss hurts.  But it wasn't because of our coaching staff.  We're just a little weak on players.

This is the classic example that it is PLAYERS AND PLAYS.  We had the plays right, we just don't have the right players in VERY KEY POSITIONS
That was the Henniest pass that Henne has ever Hennied.

Quote:Shouldn't Fisch know he was going to get Henne'd?
As did our fan base. He tried to keep it out of Henne's hands, but the fullback missed a block. Todmans strength is running outside, so I understand why he'd try to run off the tackle.
Quote:As did our fan base. He tried to keep it out of Henne's hands, but the fullback missed a block. Todmans strength is running outside, so I understand why he'd try to run off the tackle.

That was a bad whiff. And on a slow safety too. It's not as if he was blocking JJ Watt.
Quote:As did our fan base. He tried to keep it out of Henne's hands, but the fullback missed a block. Todmans strength is running outside, so I understand why he'd try to run off the tackle.

Yeah, the off tackle run would have also been a good call.  Seriously, when I saw the sweep, I thought it might just go all the way.  Again, the play call wasn't the problem.  It was the execution.

No worries in my book.  We learn move on from this, and I have a strong feeling this game makes us a better team in the long run. 
Quote:Yeah, the off tackle run would have also been a good call.  Seriously, when I saw the sweep, I thought it might just go all the way.  Again, the play call wasn't the problem.  It was the execution.

No worries in my book.  We learn move on from this, and I have a strong feeling this game makes us a better team in the long run. 
I see what you're saying, but a sweep is the one play where the defense has an opportunity to back us off the goal line, and that's exactly what happened. Call the sweep on 3rd down if two dives don't work on 1st and 2nd. That 4-yard loss really derailed the drive.
We missed Jones-Drew on that possession. That is MJD territory.

Quote:We missed Jones-Drew on that possession. That is MJD territory.

This. I wish we would have given Marcedes a chance for another jump ball, like in the Houston game.
Quote:That was the Henniest pass that Henne has ever Hennied.
 How about the one he threw in the ground so hard it made a divot.

Thought it Lame G at first....Meh. Rolleyes

Although during the houston game on of the announcers said that the Jags had scored everytime they had been in the end zome since the bye.

Of course before the bye, we rarely made it in the opponents side of the 50. :turned:
I'm liking Fisch more and more each game. We shouldn't even have been able to get a first down with what we had on the field. Nice to see our young players stepping up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5