Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hawking invites you to his party. It's in 2009.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been that,  done there.

Again?  Really?  I mean I've been three times already.  And that's just counting this year.  

I mean I know time is wibbly wobbly timey wimey, but you're risking a paradox eventually!  And that's not good.

Oh well.  To the TARDIS!

Going forward in time I get. Going back in time is impossible.

Quote:Going forward in time I get. Going back in time is impossible.

Only if you accept the argument that time is on a single continuous dimension.

If you accept the argument that time moves vertically between dimensions of repetition then you could theoretically go back and forward in time. 

IE this conversation is the only conversation me and you will have over and over again for all of eternity, the next day, minute, second is in a different dimension that our conscience has moved into and our conscience continues to move into a different dimension every second, day, minute, hour whatever.
Quote:Only if you accept the argument that time is on a single continuous dimension.

If you accept the argument that time moves vertically between dimensions of repetition then you could theoretically go back and forward in time. 

IE this conversation is the only conversation me and you will have over and over again for all of eternity, the next day, minute, second is in a different dimension that our conscience has moved into and our conscience continues to move into a different dimension every second, day, minute, hour whatever.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey stuff. 

Quote:Only if you accept the argument that time is on a single continuous dimension.

Deja Vu, man. Tongue

What you're saying makes a lot of sense though. It's kind of similar (vaguely, really) to the idea of the quantum multiverse where every possible outcome is an outcome in a different universe.
Quote:Deja Vu, man. Tongue

What you're saying makes a lot of sense though. It's kind of similar (vaguely, really) to the idea of the quantum multiverse where every possible outcome is an outcome in a different universe.

I love the idea of quantum physics, I'm just to old and to busy to have the time to really study it. My goal one day after all my kids are grown and I have time is to take as many physics classes at a college as they'll let me. The theory just fascinates my imagination!
Quote:I love the idea of quantum physics, I'm just to old and to busy to have the time to really study it. My goal one day after all my kids are grown and I have time is to take as many physics classes at a college as they'll let me. The theory just fascinates my imagination!

Same! I'm a bigger fan of programming though, so I'm following that path instead. I really enjoy science though and with quantum theory being something that is still largely in the works it makes that particular field even more interesting even if it ultimately turns out to be incorrect.