Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Amazon Delivery Drones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is just one of the articles I've read on them, but here's the run down. Amazon has built a fleet of robo helicopters that can deliver goods under 5lbs within a 10 mile radius of any distribution center, they say as soon as 2015 these robo drones could be delivering goods within 30 min. of order time!

My first thought was ok 10 miles isn't a very big radius so it'll just be a few of these things flying around their distribution center, but then they said it would handle something like 83% of all their orders. I guess the next step would be to expand the radius these drones deliver to. They'd have to work something out with the FAA right? and do they have the technology to keep these things from running into power lines or people? Amazing how far technology is coming, also kind of scary. Just something about a constant over fly of drones creeps me out, I know it'll happen one day but damn terminator anyone?

discuss

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/...y/3799021/

They would need a lot of drones for it to be efficient.  They can only carry one package at a time.

They must be cheap to make if they plan on distributing 83% of their product in 30 mins or less.

Quote:They must be cheap to make if they plan on distributing 83% of their product in 30 mins or less.

I'm sure UPS and FedEx are taking keen interest right now.
It's just a matter of time before Amazon and Google team up and take over the internet  world.

Quote:It's just a matter of time before Amazon and Google team up and take over the internet  world.

[Image: outrageous-french-court-convicts-eric-sc...stions.jpg]
Quote:This is just one of the articles I've read on them, but here's the run down. Amazon has built a fleet of robo helicopters that can deliver goods under 5lbs within a 10 mile radius of any distribution center, they say as soon as 2015 these robo drones could be delivering goods within 30 min. of order time!

My first thought was ok 10 miles isn't a very big radius so it'll just be a few of these things flying around their distribution center, but then they said it would handle something like 83% of all their orders. I guess the next step would be to expand the radius these drones deliver to. They'd have to work something out with the FAA right? and do they have the technology to keep these things from running into power lines or people? Amazing how far technology is coming, also kind of scary. Just something about a constant over fly of drones creeps me out, I know it'll happen one day but damn terminator anyone?

discuss

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/...y/3799021/
Actually the soonest that it could be is 2015, but that won't happen. I saw a story on one of the national news shows last night on this. cool concept.

Right now now commercial vehicles can operate under 10,000 feet. 2015 is the next time the FAA and powers that be meet to talk about rules (new/old) and regulations.
I believe that the 83% figure is that 83% of the items ordered on Amazon are under 5 pounds, which is the carrying capacity of the drones, not that they will be handling 83% of all orders.

Quote:I'm sure UPS and FedEx are taking keen interest right now.

I'm sure their super-secret anti-drone missile system is almost ready for mass production.
I'd rather they roll out the grocery delivery like they have in Seattle (I think that's where). 

Quote:I'd rather they roll out the grocery delivery like they have in Seattle (I think that's where). 

In the 60 minutes segment they discussed that. They haven't been able to make it financially viable yet. They're working on it though.
I think they are going to have a really hard time getting FAA approval.  To much public safety hazard and possible interference with other small aircraft.  

These tiny drones could be good for all kinds of stuff.  Legal and illegal.  

Pppfffffttttt....drones, schmones.

I'll be ordering blueprints off the internets and printing goods on my 3D printer within a few years.

No delivery required.
Quote:Pppfffffttttt....drones, schmones.

I'll be ordering blueprints off the internets and printing goods on my 3D printer within a few years.

No delivery required.

I'm gonna 3D print a 3D printer. Then, I'm gonna use that 3D printer to print another 3D printer. You'll never see it coming.<sup></sup>Please ignore the fact that I told you what I'm going to do so that you can remain surprised when it happens, thank you.
Quote:In the 60 minutes segment they discussed that. They haven't been able to make it financially viable yet. They're working on it though.

What a shame Sad

The drone thing is cool I guess, pizza places should get into that business. 
Quote:What a shame Sad

The drone thing is cool I guess, pizza places should get into that business. 

Domino's is working on it.
I can't wait for drone battles between UPS and FedEx.

Quote:Pppfffffttttt....drones, schmones.

No delivery required.

Can you print drugs?   Then I'm interested.  
Amazon drone delivers wedding rings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE
Pages: 1 2 3 4