Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2012 Chiefs vs 2016 Jaguars through 12 games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys. Seeing the Jaguars under perform while seemingly having more talent this season reminded me of the Chiefs team that went from 2-14 in 2012 to 11-5 under new head coach Andy Reid the next year. I crunched some numbers to see how both the team and how the QBs compare through 12 games.

2012 Chiefs                                                                                                                                           2016 Jaguars

188 (15.66 P/G)                                                     Points For                                                                224 (18.66 P/G)  

322 (26.83 PA/G)                                                   Points Allowed                                                          313 (26.08 PA/G)

11(7 ints, 4 fumbles)                                              Takeaways                                                                7 ( 3 ints, 4 fumbles)

32 (16 ints, 16 fumbles)                                         Turnovers                                                                 25 (15 ints, 10 fumbles)

-21                                                                         Turnover Differential                                                 -18

37%                                                                       3rd Down %                                                              36.5%

38.66%                                                                  Opponent 3rd Down %                                             42%

21                                                                          Sacks                                                                        24

25                                                                          Sacks Allowed                                                           25

7                                                                            Double Digit Losses                                                  4

As for the quarterbacks, the Chiefs used both Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn so I combined their stats to compare to Bortles through 12 games.

Cassel/Quinn                                                                                                                                         Bortles

228                                                                        Completions                                                               282

383                                                                        Incompletions                                                             483

59.53%                                                                  Completion %                                                             58.39%

2431                                                                      Yards                                                                          2930

6.35                                                                       Yards per Attempt                                                       6.07

8                                                                            Touchdowns                                                                20

16                                                                          Interceptions                                                               15

7                                                                            Fumbles Lost                                                              4

So we need a new coach and qb and instantly we are a playoff team? I concur.
Related to the information you provided,  the opinion question I have for anyone is if Alex Smith was the Jaguars QB this season instead of Blake Bortles,  what do you think the Jaguars record would be through 12 games?

At the time Andy Reid made the trade for Alex Smith,  it looked like he was overpaying.   To Reid's credit,  based on the style of Offense the Chiefs play,  Smith has been a very good fit for them.

I'd say make a big trade for Garropolo, use the draft to get OL/RBs and use FA to find extra pass rushers along with a new coach and we'd be solid.

Quote:I'd say make a big trade for Garropolo, use the draft to get OL/RBs and use FA to find extra pass rushers along with a new coach and we'd be solid.

Garrapolo is a definite upgrade to our current QB problem .
Quote:I'd say make a big trade for Garropolo, use the draft to get OL/RBs and use FA to find extra pass rushers along with a new coach and we'd be solid.

Quote:Garrapolo is a definite upgrade to our current QB problem .

I came across an article that I think both of you will find interesting.  Though the Jets are a primary focus of the article,   there's high praise regarding Jimmy Garrapolo in the present and his potential to be a long term solution.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footba...-1.2894795
Quote:Related to the information you provided,  the opinion question I have for anyone is if Alex Smith was the Jaguars QB this season instead of Blake Bortles,  what do you think the Jaguars record would be through 12 games?

At the time Andy Reid made the trade for Alex Smith,  it looked like he was overpaying.   To Reid's credit,  based on the style of Offense the Chiefs play,  Smith has been a very good fit for them.
Alex Smith since he got traded to the Chiefs has been used as a game manager. The most attempts he's thrown in his career was 508 in his first year with the Chiefs, 508. Bortles is already at 483 with 4 more games to be played. Smith's average completion percentage with the Chiefs not including this year is 63.6% and the most touchdowns he's thrown in a year was 23 in 2013. The biggest thing is turnovers though. He's thrown 7,6 and 7 interceptions and had 4,3 and 2 fumbles lost in the first 3 full seasons with the Chiefs. With a slightly more accurate QB who doesn't turn the ball over as much, I think the Jags would be 7-5. I have them beating the Packers, Ravens, Colts, Bears, Chiefs(assuming Nick Foles starts instead of Alex Smith), Houston, and Bills.
Quote: I came across an article that I think both of you will find interesting. Though the Jets are a primary focus of the article, there's high praise regarding Jimmy Garrapolo in the present and his potential to be a long term solution.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/belichick-hatred-jets-gang-green-perfect-qb-article-1.2894795'>http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/belichick-hatred-jets-gang-green-perfect-qb-article-1.2894795</a>

Great read, thanks. I agree with that article. He doesn't look like the normal Brady backup. He may actually be really good.
Quote:Alex Smith since he got traded to the Chiefs has been used as a game manager. The most attempts he's thrown in his career was 508 in his first year with the Chiefs, 508. Bortles is already at 483 with 4 more games to be played. Smith's average completion percentage with the Chiefs not including this year is 63.6% and the most touchdowns he's thrown in a year was 23 in 2013. The biggest thing is turnovers though. He's thrown 7,6 and 7 interceptions and had 4,3 and 2 fumbles lost in the first 3 full seasons with the Chiefs. With a slightly more accurate QB who doesn't turn the ball over as much, I think the Jags would be 7-5. I have them beating the Packers, Ravens, Colts, Bears, Chiefs(assuming Nick Foles starts instead of Alex Smith), Houston, and Bills.

I think more than anything,  the turnovers are the # 1 reason why the Jaguars are in their current situation.   That's why this topic caught my attention,  as Andy Reid made it a priority for the Chiefs to cut down on turnovers.  Especially,  at the QB position.

Though I'm not writing Blake Bortles off,  in his present form you reinforced my point that a QB in the Alex Smith ballpark would at the very least have the Jaguars on the fringe of the AFC South race. 
Quote:Great read, thanks. I agree with that article. He doesn't look like the normal Brady backup. He may actually be really good.

My pleasure.

I recall that Corey Chavous rated Jimmy Garrapolo the top QB in the 2014 Draft Class.   One of the most interesting NFL stories in the off-season is going to be what happens with  Garrapolo.   The Patriots probably will be able to get the equivalent of a 1st Round pick for him,  when considering the demand for QBs noticeably higher than the supply. 
The Patriots won't part with him for less than a Kings ransom as Brady's career is winding down they already have his replacement in the wings why mess that up if you're New England
At this point make a run for him or The Redskins guy or Romo. 

I would pay Cousins (Washington QB) top 10 NFL QB money and bring in a offensive minded coach (idk who at the moment anyone is better than Bradley)
Quote:Hey guys. Seeing the Jaguars under perform while seemingly having more talent this season reminded me of the Chiefs team that went from 2-14 in 2012 to 11-5 under new head coach Andy Reid the next year. I crunched some numbers to see how both the team and how the QBs compare through 12 games.

2012 Chiefs                                                                                                                                           2016 Jaguars

188 (15.66 P/G)                                                     Points For                                                                224 (18.66 P/G)  

322 (26.83 PA/G)                                                   Points Allowed                                                          313 (26.08 PA/G)

11(7 ints, 4 fumbles)                                              Takeaways                                                                7 ( 3 ints, 4 fumbles)

32 (16 ints, 16 fumbles)                                         Turnovers                                                                 25 (15 ints, 10 fumbles)

-21                                                                         Turnover Differential                                                 -18

37%                                                                       3rd Down %                                                              36.5%

38.66%                                                                  Opponent 3rd Down %                                             42%

21                                                                          Sacks                                                                        24

25                                                                          Sacks Allowed                                                           25

7                                                                            Double Digit Losses                                                  4

As for the quarterbacks, the Chiefs used both Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn so I combined their stats to compare to Bortles through 12 games.

Cassel/Quinn                                                                                                                                         Bortles

228                                                                        Completions                                                               282

383                                                                        Incompletions                                                             483

59.53%                                                                  Completion %                                                             58.39%

2431                                                                      Yards                                                                          2930

6.35                                                                       Yards per Attempt                                                       6.07

8                                                                            Touchdowns                                                                20

16                                                                          Interceptions                                                               15

7                                                                            Fumbles Lost                                                              4
So I thought you were going to compare our record vs theirs since 2012 as we were both 1,2 in that draft. Instead you have shown we are effectively as bad as the only team worse than we were in 2012, when we were one of the worst teams in the league. This is probably worse than what I expected.
I think the only way that Garropolo ends up in Jacksonville is if the Jags hire McDaniels.

They both had the same record in 2012. The 2012 Chiefs team had five Pro Bowlers, so it's not like they lacked talent. They had terrible coaching and QB play. Since then they've drafted well, gotten better coaching and have QB that doesn't turn the ball over every game.
Sounds awfully similar minus we won't get the pro bowl respect
I think you could make a similar move to bring Garrapolo here. I wouldn't do it for the 1st rounder but definitely the 2nd rounder and a conditional 1st (conditions could be playoffs/snaps/whatever)

Garropolo won't throw 30 TD's but he sure won't throw pick 6's 

You don't even need him to come with McDaniels per say 

This QB draft is blah. Trubinsky looks like the best one and he's really a 2nd rounder. Kizer, Watson, Mahomes are all super risky and have similar accuracy concerns. You could go mid round with Falk if he comes out or a few other but it's looking like a very risky class. If you wan't to win now, you make a deal with NE

Quote:I think you could make a similar move to bring Garrapolo here. I wouldn't do it for the 1st rounder but definitely the 2nd rounder and a conditional 1st (conditions could be playoffs/snaps/whatever)

Garropolo won't throw 30 TD's but he sure won't throw pick 6's 

You don't even need him to come with McDaniels per say 

This QB draft is blah. Trubinsky looks like the best one and he's really a 2nd rounder. Kizer, Watson, Mahomes are all super risky and have similar accuracy concerns. You could go mid round with Falk if he comes out or a few other but it's looking like a very risky class. If you wan't to win now, you make a deal with NE
That's a really high 2nd round pick though.

I think the coach will be a huge factor in acquiring Garropolo.
An acquisition of Gorropolo automatically has to come with the firing of Caldwell, right?

Pages: 1 2 3