Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Time to make drastic changes or stay the course?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The first thing I expect for someone to say is its too early to tell, or the owner wont fire Dave Caldwell for a few years even with these kinds of performances and both are correct.  I simply raise the question should the fans demand that the GM be fired after watching this product this season?   The team is winless and blownout with almost no chance of winning most games before the end of the half.  The team is ridiculed in the media as being the worst team in the NFL (or even a laughing stock).  The team is dead last in offense yet again, and the HC has kept Blaine Gabbert & Chad Henne on the field which was the same mistake Mularkey had made last year.  The GM traded away the LT Euguene Monroe for a 5th or later round pick in lieu of a LT rookie that was having severe problems at the right side and was playing injured (to which he went out the first time at LT with a season ending injury).  He is now trying to trade away the 1st round pick Justin Blackmon for a 3rd or later round pick in the upcoming draft.  That is great if you trust his drafting abilities to which his 2nd overall pick is not currently playing (i know ankle / leg injury cant be the GMs fault... he wasnt looking that good prior to the injury).

This is a serious question if the owner wants the GM to trade away all the good players worthy of value;

Justin Blackmon, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jason Babin and Mercedes Lewis as well as linebacker Paul Posluszny.

Including E. Monroe whom was traded to the Ravens for a 5th or later pick.

The he is basically saying the team is crap and will take years to rebuild.  Arent we as fans tired of the never ending rebuilding stage?  Is it simply an excuse for failure?

I mean the HC Gus Bradley & GM took on a team with a lot of problems (talent being a big one), but how deep is this years draft & how much do we expect the team to improve next year after all these moves?

Its funny as I created this thread I started to change my own mind / views on the subject.  The team is crap and the owner, the GM, and the HC knows it.  Why they didnt burn it the ground prior to the start of the seaon and start over I dont know.. maybe they were afraid of the fans being upset about losing Maurice Jones-Drew, M. Lewis, Paul Poz, Justin Blackmon, E. Monroe and Jason Babin (all productive players that play with heart & determination but are aging players with the exception of Justin whom has off field problems & Monroe - I dont get that one especially for only a 5th round yet maybe we dont know some inside stuff?).

The team is really hard to watch I know that for a fact.  I do like Gus Bradley's personallity and his love for the game.  I do not like GM Dave's personallity and how he refused to even consider Tim Tebow (why would any GM not consider a player that might be talented seemed to me to be emotion based and not based on football).  His attitude with other things bothers me too.
Quote:Its funny as I created this thread I started to change my own mind / views on the subject.  The team is crap and the owner, the GM, and the HC knows it.  Why they didnt burn it the ground prior to the start of the seaon and start over I dont know.. maybe they were afraid of the fans being upset about losing Maurice Jones-Drew, M. Lewis, Paul Poz, Justin Blackmon, E. Monroe and Jason Babin (all productive players that play with heart & determination but are aging players with the exception of Justin whom has off field problems & Monroe - I dont get that one especially for only a 5th round yet maybe we dont know some inside stuff?).

The team is really hard to watch I know that for a fact.  I do like Gus Bradley's personallity and his love for the game.  I do not like GM Dave's personallity and how he refused to even consider Tim Tebow (why would any GM not consider a player that might be talented seemed to me to be emotion based and not based on football).  His attitude with other things bothers me too.

Oh, you're a butthurt Tebow fan? You mad at the other 31 GM's that also don't want him?
Yes, we're in the middle of one 'drastic change', let's just start another.
Quote:Its funny as I created this thread I started to change my own mind / views on the subject.  The team is crap and the owner, the GM, and the HC knows it.  Why they didnt burn it the ground prior to the start of the seaon and start over I dont know.. maybe they were afraid of the fans being upset about losing Maurice Jones-Drew, M. Lewis, Paul Poz, Justin Blackmon, E. Monroe and Jason Babin (all productive players that play with heart & determination but are aging players with the exception of Justin whom has off field problems & Monroe - I dont get that one especially for only a 5th round yet maybe we dont know some inside stuff?).

Here's a tissue bro.
Why did you even make this thread when there is 7 others exactly like it? 

Quote:The GM traded away the LT Euguene Monroe for a 5th or later round pick

what?
I'm a pretty big critic of David so far but even I understand you CAN NOT change the front office AGAIN this fast. We have to give him a full two years, I don't think he's off to a good start and he has his work cut out for him, but no you can't make changes this fast.
TEBOW IS TERRIBLE.... On another note.. Tebow is terrible

Honestly, suck it up man.  Take the 0-16, let them draft their top rated QB, and let's see what happens then.

The most impressive things in the entire organization since the "rebuild" started are: 

WR coach Jerry Sullivan

WR Justin Blackmon, emergence of Mike Brown. 

I've wavered about the DB coach DeWayne Walker but, TBH, can anyone really say with a straight face that the DB's are playing all that well and developing well? I'd say the returns on that are "mixed" at best. 

But not much of anything else on the entire team has been good. Thats including the job Caldwell has done. I expected to see much more dealing of veterans in exchange for draft picks, and the ONLY one he deals is Monroe, and he messed that up. 

Quote:I'm a pretty big critic of David so far but even I understand you CAN NOT change the front office AGAIN this fast. We have to give him a full two years, I don't think he's off to a good start and he has his work cut out for him, but no you can't make changes this fast.
even two years is too fast for a gm... let him gut or roster and field a team he has created and developed with his staff in place, THEN let the head hunt begin if it doesnt materialize

.... its like chef ramseys kitchen lol, he always comes in and insults people then spits his food on his plate while calling the place a bunch of expletives(i consider that to be the time caldwell told the tebow fans they arent getting what they want and then started gabbert to basicly reiterate we are garbage  lol), but then the first thing he always does before he makes changes is clean the entire kitchen... thats where we are now, cleaning the kitchen, and we had a nasty kitchen so that step took some time lol... im to the point now that i think the clean out is just about done since our cap is in good shape and we pretty much have no value left to trade(and the deadline passed)... so now we just have to let this dude hit the market and start constructing a winning team.... to go back to chef ramsey metaphor, this is the part he goes to the market and shows the people what to buy and harps on them about buying fresh food and not reusing frozen crap(i think that applies to FA's and draftees)... so yeah, i think the metaphor works pretty good, now we just have let ramsey cook up some dishes and wow an audience so our metaphoric restaurant doesnt turn to crap and move to a better area.
It is only eight games in..stay the course. Most times a quick fix quickly falls apart! 

Quote:The most impressive things in the entire organization since the "rebuild" started are: 

WR coach Jerry Sullivan

WR Justin Blackmon, emergence of Mike Brown. 

I've wavered about the DB coach DeWayne Walker but, TBH, can anyone really say with a straight face that the DB's are playing all that well and developing well? I'd say the returns on that are "mixed" at best. 

But not much of anything else on the entire team has been good. Thats including the job Caldwell has done. I expected to see much more dealing of veterans in exchange for draft picks, and the ONLY one he deals is Monroe, and he messed that up. 
agreed... i have been impressed with our young defensive secondary a whole... well minus prosinski.... gratz, cyp, harris, and evans have all done very well considering its their rookie year(not harris but close enough) and they are on a trash team who doesnt help them out on the other side of the ball at all.... i think they will emerge to be one of the better secondaries in the nfl with time.
Quote:agreed... i have been impressed with our young defensive secondary a whole... well minus prosinski.... gratz, cyp, harris, and evans have all done very well considering its their rookie year(not harris but close enough) and they are on a trash team who doesnt help them out on the other side of the ball at all.... i think they will emerge to be one of the better secondaries in the nfl with time.

I think they have done ok at times. Other times, they make me wondering what they are doing all week in study. 

One positive has been they seem to be more adept at forcing fumbles than their predecessors. One negative is I am not seeing enough good/ tight coverage I'd like to see as well as wanting to see more INT's out of this group. 

Quote:I expected to see much more dealing of veterans in exchange for draft picks, and the ONLY one he deals is Monroe, and he messed that up. 

You could have expected that all you want. But look around the league. There is zero market for veterans.

There was one deal this week before the trade deadline.

One.
Quote:You could have expected that all you want. But look around the league. There is zero market for veterans.

There was one deal this week before the trade deadline.

One.

Not every team is 0-8 and "rebuilding" either....  There were teams out there that  could have used a few of our veterans. We've been over this - Caldwell painted himself into a corner by saying that he gave MoJo and Poz "his word" that they wouldn't be shopped/ dealt. Ask Jags02...he also posted about this. 
Quote:Not every team is 0-8 and "rebuilding" either....  There were teams out there that  could have used a few of our veterans. We've been over this - Caldwell painted himself into a corner by saying that he gave MoJo and Poz "his word" that they wouldn't be shopped/ dealt. Ask Jags02...he also posted about this. 

There is no basis for you saying this. There was one veteran traded this week and it was two teams just swapping picks.
Quote:I think they have done ok at times. Other times, they make me wondering what they are doing all week in study. 

One positive has been they seem to be more adept at forcing fumbles than their predecessors. One negative is I am not seeing the kind of coverage I'd like to see as well as wanting to see more INT's out of this group. 
i think that sort of thing will change with time... these guys are young, i feel as though the good trates u want to see are guys who wanna hit and are capable bringing guys down not just hitting to hit*cough* reggie nelson*cough*. i like when db's play with a little chip on thier shoulder, i see that alot outta evans and cyp... but i also see gratz getting his head around and making plays on the ball from time to time which is what i wanna see from a roookie cb...its traits like the ones prosiski has that scare me... he seems like a smart guy who prolly has his head in the book and film room alot, but man does that boy suck, its seems like he doesnt like hitting and he gets burned on the regular basis.... but other than him, our group seems like the type who will come out and thump with any team and i like seeing that from young players.

Quote:There is no basis for you saying this. There was one veteran traded this week and it was two teams just swapping picks.

oh, 'k.....no teams out there had needs at RB, LB or DE?? 

Seems that would be all the "basis" I'd need to make that claim. 

Just because there weren't more deals don't mean there weren't teams with those holes. 

There were only a few teams in Jax' position. Other teams probably still had intentions of either still trying to make the playoffs or like Tampa - even though they aren't in playoff contention - they have no intention of dealing the roster they have right now. Jax was one of the only ones that was in clear rebuild mode - and yet sat on their players. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4