Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dream Offseason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Instead of everyone complaining about what we all knew was going to be a lost season, lets look ahead to the future. The new CBA forces teams to spend an average 89% of the total cap room possible over a 4 year period (from 2013 - 2016). After this year, we will have 20M of rollover funds and we will be 30M under the 2014 cap once the rookies are signed.

So we will have ~50M total cap room to spend in 2014. This number will probably grow even larger once we cut some guys with big contracts like Poz, Babin, Mincey ect. While we wont spend all, or even most of it, Dave has to start spending some to start working towards hitting the 89% benchmark over the 4 years.

Im guessing we sign 1 guy to a larger contract who averages in the 6-8M per year range and 2 mid tier guys who average 4-6M per year (similar to SEAs last offseason). If these guys get signed to 3 year deals, their contracts will be expiring and clearing cap room right in time for when Caldwells draft picks are ready to be re-signed.

So what positions do you think it would be best to allocate the 1 "big" contract and the 2 "mid" contracts?

I would give the big deal to a LEO (Micheal Bennett, Greg Hardy, Micheal Johnson) and then use the two mid levels to beef up the offensive line.

Considering who you picked as your FA's, what positions do you think should be addressed in the draft in order of importance?

1 QB

2 RB

3 LB

4 DT

4 TE

5 DT

5 LB

5 5-tech

After doing this, look at the new team on paper. Its very realistic that this team could have a winning record if we are able to land Bridgewater and spend smartly in FA. So what do you think are the correct options?

I really don't see Poz getting cut. We need to keep some defensive leadership.
Quote:I really don't see Poz getting cut. We need to keep some defensive leadership.
The highest paid LB in the game should be more than mediocre. Hes getting cut or taking a massive paycut.

Players arent paid to be leaders.

Good info. I was not aware of the cap room or mandate to spend a certain percentage of it. Makes me feel very optimistic concerning that.

The disconcerting part is that the defense and offensive line have so many needs which makes me skeptical about a winning record next year.

I will be happy with vast improvement and 5 wins next year.

Poz isn't worth his contract, although he's nowhere near as overpaid as Lewis.  Lewis just might be the most overpaid player in the NFL. 

Mincey, Henne, Gabbert - all salary cap cuts.  MJD and Babin leave in FA.  I think we end up with 25 new players on the roster next year...

Draft Teddy

Draft Best OG (available)

Draft best C (available)

Sign Alex Mack

Sign Greg Hardy

Something like that. 

Quote:Good info. I was not aware of the cap room or mandate to spend a certain percentage of it. Makes me feel very optimistic concerning that.

The disconcerting part is that the defense and offensive line have so many needs which makes me skeptical about a winning record next year.

I will be happy with vast improvement and 5 wins next year.

My concern is that that percentage applies to all teams, which means teams will have to spend more money, which means more competition for players and more teams retaining their own players to ensure compliance, which potentially means fewer and lower quality players in free agency.
Sign Cutler (QB)

Sign Alex Mack (C )

Sign OG

Sign a real OLB

Draft CJ Mosely (LB)

Honestly I would like for us to bring in a Leo, DT and a G in free agency. Maybe a LB if we can squeeze one more free agent in but that's last on the list. Then a stop gap C. Then draft Teddy, DE, RB, C, DE, G, LB, RB, WR in that order (I think we have 9 picks). Then hit undrafted free agency hard to see if we can find some diamond in the rough. Maybe a another WR, CB, and big man on either line to develop.     

Quote:Sign Cutler (QB)

Sign Alex Mack (C )

Sign OG

Sign a real OLB

Draft CJ Mosely (LB)

Cutler? no
You've pretty much explained this better than I've seen it ever explained. 

I agree with everyone that a franchise QB is a must. The often unspoken part is without a serious upgrade to the O line any QB is in serious peril.  We need to spend a majority of our draft on the two lines..and/or spend some money on YOUNG players in these positions in FA. We should have plenty of cap room as we lose MJD, Babin, Mincey and other non-preformers

Quote:Sign Cutler (QB)

Sign Alex Mack (C )

Sign OG

Sign a real OLB

Draft CJ Mosely (LB)
Wait... your "Dream" off season includes Cutler and drafting CJ Mosley??

No offense but your dream stinks.

Dream offseason includes Teddy at #1, Ebron 2nd round, best LB in the 3rd and D-line the rest of the draft while signing 2 guards in FA along with cutting Poz and signing one big name Defensive player (don't care which position)
FA: X means big time contract

Greg Hardy / Michael Bennett - x  - Im tired of drafting duds at pass rusher. Get a guy who can get the QB.

Top Center available - x - I say this because its understated how much a good center who makes the correct line calls helps a young QB. Stability at that position is monstrous for a rookie QB.

Mid level LG - Rackley must go so sign a solid player until we draft our own.

Mid level LB - Hayes,Stanford,Etc arent anything special.

DRAFT:

1.Bridgewater - Duh

2.RG - Uche needs to go he is okay but not fit for the future plans.

3.LB - Pass rusher / OLB type guy as a project once we sign a actual pass rusher in FA. Think Bruce Irvin ish guy with similiar measurables.

4.RB , DT - Mojo may be done and Denard isnt ready yet a power back to go with Denards speed in a 1-2 punch would be good. Marks is good but Miller is meh.

5.TE , DE , QB - Need a pass catching TE for the young QB. Another DE for depth. Second QB so we can purge the roster of Gahenne.

6. BAP - Flier on a big lanky CB who fits the scheme

7.BAP - Flier on a tall WR with good hands for possible redzone threat.

This way we handle the QB and O-lines in a aggressive manner while touching on some our our current meh positions. 2 new d-lineman , 1 new pure LB and a DE/OLB mix to backup at LEO (Hardy/Bennett as starter) should provide a nice fresh look for the front seven and if we get a big space eater at DT to pair with Marks(Pass rush DT) the line could be in good shape. The late flier on the CB would be one to watch for as so far this staff has done will with their late round secondary picks and getting guys who work well in the scheme.

Edit: Keep in mind this is a VERY aggressive approach with 2 big time FA and 2 Mid/upper level ones. This is they type of moves you need to make IMO if you are bringing in a franchies QB. Beef up the D and solidify the O-line if you really think Bridgewater is the truth (which i do) and let him take the reings from day 1 with Blackmon/Shorts/Sanders and Brown as his targets plus the rookie TE.

Jinjo nice write up and info...........

Quote:Draft Teddy

Draft Best OG (available)

Draft best C (available)

Sign Alex Mack

Sign Greg Hardy

Something like that. 

Draft Teddy

Draft Stork C-FSU (Can Play guard too)

Draft Gabe Jackson G-Miss State

Sign Alex Mack

Sign Greg Hardy

Sign Justin Tuck

Dreaming here, O-Line: Luke, G.Jackson, Mack, Stork, Pazstor- Now that is potential!! As long as Pazstor keep playing well.

Greg Hardy and Justin Tuck along side Marks and Tyson would be a huge upgrade.

Could the Jaguars afford to sign Tuck, Hardy and Mack? Let me throw a wrench in this idea and ask if the Jags have the firepower and $$ to pull Orakpo from the redskins?

Quote:Jinjo nice write up and info...........

Draft Teddy

Draft Stork C-FSU (Can Play guard too)

Draft Gabe Jackson G-Miss State

Sign Alex Mack

Sign Greg Hardy

Sign Justin Tuck

Dreaming here, O-Line: Luke, G.Jackson, Mack, Stork, Pazstor- Now that is potential!! As long as Pazstor keep playing well.

Greg Hardy and Justin Tuck along side Marks and Tyson would be a huge upgrade.

Could the Jaguars afford to sign Tuck, Hardy and Mack? Let me throw a wrench in this idea and ask if the Jags have the firepower and $$ to pull Orakpo from the redskins?

I doubt we would sign 2 expensive LEOs, and I think we would all be more than happy with just 1 top tier guy.

I do like your new offensive line though, but I think Uche should stay this year so we can upgrade some other spots instead.

My wishful thinking lineup for next year:

QB: Teddy, Matt Scott

RB: Melvin Gordon, Denard, Toddman

FB: Lonnie Pryor

WR: Cecil, JB, Ace, Mike Brown, late round speedster

TE: Marcedes, 4th round joker TE

OL: Joekel, mid FA, mid FA, Uche, Paztor

LEO: Big FA, mid round rookie

DT: Marks, low level FA, 2 mid round rookies

5-Tech: Alualu, mid round rookie

LB: Geno Hayes, Laroy Renalds, 3rd round rookie

CB: Blackmon, Gratz, Ball, Harris

S: Cyp, Evans

9-7 is attainable IMO with a lineup similar to this.

Quote:Instead of everyone complaining about what we all knew was going to be a lost season, lets look ahead to the future. The new CBA forces teams to spend an average 89% of the total cap room possible over a 4 year period (from 2013 - 2016). After this year, we will have 20M of rollover funds and we will be 30M under the 2014 cap once the rookies are signed.

So we will have ~50M total cap room to spend in 2014. This number will probably grow even larger once we cut some guys with big contracts like Poz, Babin, Mincey ect. While we wont spend all, or even most of it, Dave has to start spending some to start working towards hitting the 89% benchmark over the 4 years.

Im guessing we sign 1 guy to a larger contract who averages in the 6-8M per year range and 2 mid tier guys who average 4-6M per year (similar to SEAs last offseason). If these guys get signed to 3 year deals, their contracts will be expiring and clearing cap room right in time for when Caldwells draft picks are ready to be re-signed.

So what positions do you think it would be best to allocate the 1 "big" contract and the 2 "mid" contracts?

I would give the big deal to a LEO (Micheal Bennett, Greg Hardy, Micheal Johnson) and then use the two mid levels to beef up the offensive line.

Considering who you picked as your FA's, what positions do you think should be addressed in the draft in order of importance?

1 QB

2 RB

3 LB

4 DT

4 TE

5 DT

5 LB

5 5-tech

After doing this, look at the new team on paper. Its very realistic that this team could have a winning record if we are able to land Bridgewater and spend smartly in FA. So what do you think are the correct options?

We don't have any rollover money.  We are right up against the cap.

We'll probably spend  to the salary floor between 20-37 million next year, depending on veteran cuts.  I don't foresee us spending to the cap, however, which would be somewhere potentially as high as 51 million or so.

Quote:My concern is that that percentage applies to all teams, which means teams will have to spend more money, which means more competition for players and more teams retaining their own players to ensure compliance, which potentially means fewer and lower quality players in free agency.

Most teams right now have cap issues.  The majority of the league didn't plan well for the new CBA.
Quote:We don't have any rollover money.  We are right up against the cap.

We'll probably spend  to the salary floor between 20-37 million next year, depending on veteran cuts.  I don't foresee us spending to the cap, however, which would be somewhere potentially as high as 51 million or so.

Its true we are spending nearly the cap amount this year, but we still have rollover money from past years that can again be rolled over.

"2013 Cap Room Remaining: $23.036 million (2nd-most in the league, as of July 5, 2013)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...31606.html

Quote:Most teams right now have cap issues.  The majority of the league didn't plan well for the new CBA.

I hope you are right and that the Jaguars can take advantage of this.

I'd love to have Alex Mack here.
Pages: 1 2 3