Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Flag Burning: To ban or not to ban?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
That is the question.

Where do you stand, constituents of the political board?

I personally don't care what a person does with a flag, which puts me on the "against" banning side I suppose, but in the end *sings* IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER to me because I don't care if they ban it either.

Everyone is seemingly against hate speech, the common argument being hate speech is not free speech. Well, what about hate expression? Flag burning is certainly a hateful expression.

Maybe no flag burning on public property is a good compromise?

I spent almost 24 years in the Navy.  I would prefer that people did not burn or disrespect the flag in any way...but I also believe in freedom of speech.  If you hate this country so much, why not just move?

I agree that flag burning falls under hate speech and expression. I'd love to see it be outlawed. I mean, let's face it. Flag burning is an action, not a spoken word, so it kinda throws freedom of speech out the window.

I'd vote to outlaw it under penalty..
In theory burning a flag is free speech and should be allowed.  The problem with burning the flag is most people are only doing it to incite violence and to try to make a certain segment of people mad.  It's no different than someone using racist language to a group of people to make them mad to incite violence. 

You now see burning of a flag done when members of both sides are clashing.  It provides a tense environment, puts police, people, the community in a more dangerous place.  If you can prevent these types of things from happening why wouldn't you?  If it was done during a peaceful protest that's one thing, but most people burning flags aren't doing it during those times.

I find it humorous that people choose to express their anger by burning the symbol of what gives them the freedom to express their anger.

I do not condone people burning the flag but it is their right.

Keep in mind, penalty (fine, jail, even death) for flag desecration was PERMITTED up until 1989 I believe, when it was then ruled unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. So for over 200 years since the foundation, flag desecration was NOT considered "free expression".

You should have the freedom to burn whatever you want as long as its on your own property and not a big hazard.
Hate speech is directed towards people, there is nothing abstract about it. Burning the flag is a protest against our country's actions or government. There is a huge difference, and flag burning is clearly protected by the 1st amendment.
Quote:Keep in mind, penalty (fine, jail, even death) for flag desecration was PERMITTED up until 1989 I believe, when it was then ruled unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. So for over 200 years since the foundation, flag desecration was NOT considered "free expression".

This is a bogus argument. Just because it was not allowed for 200 years doesn't mean it was correct to penalize flag burners. How long were women and African-Americans denied voting privileges?

Quote:Hate speech is directed towards people

I am not so sure the first amendment implies that hate speech can only be directed towards people, and not organizations.
It's definitely a new era and a much different one from which The Constitution was drawn up. Sometimes you need to grow with your surroundings and adjust to society. This also includes our government. Laws that worked 200 years ago, may not work in today's society.
Quote:This is a bogus argument. Just because it was not allowed for 200 years doesn't mean it was correct to penalize flag burners. How long were women and African-Americans denied voting privileges?

There were constitutional amendments passed that allowed women and African-American's to vote. There was no constitutional amendment to prohibit penalty for flag desecration.
"No act of speech is so obnoxious that it merits tampering with our First Amendment. Our Constitution, and our country, is stronger than that. Ultimately, people like that pose little harm to our country. But tinkering with our First Amendment might."

-
Mitch McConnell on flag burning in 2006

I tend to agree with that

SCOTUS ruled it as free speech. So it matters not what the President thinks of it. 

I would prefer people not do it and I think it is a douche move. However, I don't think the President should be too concerned about it with everything else that is needing to be addressed going forward.

Quote:"No act of speech is so obnoxious that it merits tampering with our First Amendment. Our Constitution, and our country, is stronger than that. Ultimately, people like that pose little harm to our country. But tinkering with our First Amendment might."

-
Mitch McConnell on flag burning in 2006

I tend to agree with that

Speaking of the old turkey gobbler, his wife was just selected as Secretary of Transportation.
should not be outlawed.  any time somebody does it, it just discredits them and they make fools of themselves... so im all for it

Quote:SCOTUS ruled it as free speech. So it matters not what the President thinks of it. 

I would prefer people not do it and I think it is a [BAD WORD REMOVED] move. However, I don't think the President should be too concerned about it with everything else that is needing to be addressed going forward.

I think he tweeted it out to get the libs riled up and bait the media. Now the lefties go out in public, burn flags in protest, the media will defend them, and both will look like total buttholes.

Even Joe on MSNBC was pleading with libs not to take the bait.

Oh, and the ultimate irony of all this?

Hillary Clinton herself proposed a bill that would ban flag burning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Prote...ct_of_2005

The <b>Flag Protection Act of 2005</b> was a proposed United States federal law introduced by Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT), with original co-sponsor Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY).<sup>[1]</sup> Additional co-sponsors include Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Mark Pryor (D-AR) and <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Carper' title="Thomas Carper">Thomas Carper</a> (D-DE).

The danger is if the loons can conceal themselves, then we don't know who/where the loons are.

Let buffoons be buffoons so we aren't wondering.

People get too worked up over some colored cloth, if I burned some clothes would anybody care? 

Quote:The danger is if the loons can conceal themselves, then we don't know who/where the loons are.

Let buffoons be buffoons so we aren't wondering.

but what they stand for cant be concealed, so when open border advocates burn the flag they only hurt their "cause"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6