Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Can Someone Please Explain To Me....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why???? Why??? When I watch college tape on gabbert and see exactly what I see now. Terrible footwork, absolutely no awareness of the pass rush, very little command presence did we draft this guy??? There were bye my count 3 other qbs available who had shown the above mentioned qualities that gabbert lacked but still we drafted him? How can u draft someone because they may develop into a decent qb when a better qb is available at that point???Flash foreward to the upcoming draft and there are Atleast 6 qbs who look light years ahead of how gabbert looked in college. There are qbs who pump fake, consistently audible at the line, sense pressure and make good descissions when the pressure is there, look off safeties, have command presence .... I may be missing something our draft team saw???? But I don't think so. So please ... Someone explain to me why we drafted gabbert. And FYI???? I think we could win 3 to 5 games this year and pick 4 th or. 5 th. And still get a qb who is immediaey better than gabbert .
Gene

Smith
If a player drops. Has to be a reason.
Quote:Why???? Why??? When I watch college tape on gabbert and see exactly what I see now. Terrible footwork, absolutely no awareness of the pass rush, very little command presence did we draft this guy??? There were bye my count 3 other qbs available who had shown the above mentioned qualities that gabbert lacked but still we drafted him? How can u draft someone because they may develop into a decent qb when a better qb is available at that point???Flash foreward to the upcoming draft and there are Atleast 6 qbs who look light years ahead of how gabbert looked in college. There are qbs who pump fake, consistently audible at the line, sense pressure and make good descissions when the pressure is there, look off safeties, have command presence .... I may be missing something our draft team saw???? But I don't think so. So please ... Someone explain to me why we drafted gabbert. And FYI???? I think we could win 3 to 5 games this year and pick 4 th or. 5 th. And still get a qb who is immediaey better than gabbert .

Yep, the same fata flaws that plagued him at Missouri followed him to the NFL. Who would've ever knew?
It's funny.  I was just thinking about this.  I remember my initial reaction to seeing Gabbert footage on youtube for the first time was that he was terrible.  I later saw more video that showcased his potential, and there was all this talk of his high football IQ, and then the combine numbers...  He ended up being my 4th favorite QB that draft.   But if you recall though, he was considered the #1 QB by a majority of the talking heads and tv scouts.  It wasn't just a Gene Smith thing.  In the end, he didn't develop like people thought he would.  There's really nothing else to it. 

[Image: vwMqRtQ.png]

Quote:[Image: vwMqRtQ.png]

Isn't that the guy who played Arzst on Lost?
Quote:If a player drops. Has to be a reason.

But that "reason" doesn't always prove to be worth the slide.
Quote:But that "reason" doesn't always prove to be worth the slide.

Exactly. Aaron Rodgers slide for a "reason"
Because Jaguars.

Pretty simple, perceived possible potential at the NFL level., the same reason all QB,s are drafted. Unfortunately perception and potential don't mean squat if  not proven over time to be correct and lived up to. There simply are no guarantees available on draft picks.

Does anyone know if GS ever found work in football? Just curious.
Quote:Pretty simple, perceived possible potential at the NFL level., the same reason all QB,s are drafted. Unfortunately perception and potential don't mean squat if  not proven over time to be correct and lived up to. There simply are no guarantees available on draft picks.

The problem with Gabbert is it was all about potential, because his physical and mental attributes didn't match his production while at Missouri.
Quote:Does anyone know if GS ever found work in football? Just curious.

No.  But I really wish the tacks would give him a shot.  
Quote:No.  But I really wish the tacks would give him a shot.  

Or the Colts.
Quote:Why???? Why??? When I watch college tape on gabbert and see exactly what I see now. Terrible footwork, absolutely no awareness of the pass rush, very little command presence did we draft this guy??? There were bye my count 3 other qbs available who had shown the above mentioned qualities that gabbert lacked but still we drafted him? How can u draft someone because they may develop into a decent qb when a better qb is available at that point???Flash foreward to the upcoming draft and there are Atleast 6 qbs who look light years ahead of how gabbert looked in college. There are qbs who pump fake, consistently audible at the line, sense pressure and make good descissions when the pressure is there, look off safeties, have command presence .... I may be missing something our draft team saw???? But I don't think so. So please ... Someone explain to me why we drafted gabbert. And FYI???? I think we could win 3 to 5 games this year and pick 4 th or. 5 th. And still get a qb who is immediaey better than gabbert .

Classic case of falling in love with measurables. Gabbert was a golden boy, prototypical size, rocket arm, and a good (although completely manufactured) 40 time. Gene and all the NFL analysts were so in love his measurables they ignored that he was very raw, awful pocket presence, looked stiff on the run, average to below average accuracy, couldn't read defenses well in game (oh but he is a master in the film room) oh and the small fact that he played in a spread happy offense and put up extremely pedestrian numbers. 

Quote:The problem with Gabbert is it was all about potential, because his physical and mental attributes didn't match his production while at Missouri.
You are correct and that is the reason he was not planned to even see the field as early as he did. Del meathead threw him to the wolves in a desperate move to save his job.
6'5 230 with a strong arm and mobility can fool alot of people.

That being said i had even posted that Gabbert was the only QB i didnt want. He was and is terrible and will remain so. Locker,Ponder,Newton, Dalton,Kaep all of them were better imo. Only one thats been nearly as bad was ponder who i thought would do something and i admit my being wrong on him cause yeah he just sucks too. 

What gets me is Kiper,Mayock and all these talking heads were gushing over him yet when QB needy teams passed on him none of them blinked an eye or acted suprised. Im not a conspiracy theory kinda guy but i get the vibe there was some shady things going on with scouts and GMs. I dont think its coincidence that we ended up with the worst QB in the draft and traded with washington who got RG3 the next year.

Again there will never be any evidence of it but much like the whole Luck/Colts tanking/ us somehow beating them last game thing it just reeks of wrong. I just get the feeling that the other Gms and talking heads all knew something that Gene didnt and helped play Gabbert into our hands.

Quote:Pretty simple, perceived possible potential at the NFL level., the same reason all QB,s are drafted. Unfortunately perception and potential don't mean squat if not proven over time to be correct and lived up to. There simply are no guarantees available on draft picks.
Wouldn't that be,amazing if we could claim a refund...

Hi yeah I'm not happy with my Gabbert

I'm sorry about that sir what seems to be the problem

Every time I get within 5feet of it or apply any kind of pressure it just shuts down

Ahhh yes we thought that bug would have been sorted in the secomd offseason update or after the joeckel patch I'll arrange a replacement.... Sorry we haven't got any gabberts in stock I could upgrade to a Bridgewater for a 5th

how much for a tebow

Sir there's no need to be rude
Quote:6'5 230 with a strong arm and mobility can fool alot of people.

I just get the feeling that the other Gms and talking heads all knew something that Gene didnt and helped play Gabbert into our hands.
Dude, put your tinfoil back on they are zeroing in on you.
Pages: 1 2 3