Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Top 5 Most Trusted Franchises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This writer polled some some agents and wanted to find out answers to these questions?

Fairness in contract negotiations

Open, honest and direct communication about clients

Injury settlements

Medical care and the business decisions that go along with it

The development of young players

Jags are listed as one of the teams. Below is the article.

http://bit.ly/1e84yKU
Not surprised. I am convinced we have one of the better F/O's in the league, even without Caldwell having two drafts under his belt.

Kind of like Vanderbilt winning the most honest University in the SEC.

Quote:Kind of like Vanderbilt winning the most honest University in the SEC.

Exocet teams in the category with us are very good.
Two teams I despise because of owners are the Panthers and Jets. ..Woody Johnson... named after a penis, so there ya go...and Jerry Richardson were instrumental in the player and referee lockouts. The refs would have been back sooner, except for those two digging in. Snyder and Jones aren't too far behind...just because.

I would guess the Steelers are close to the top, as well as the Falcons, whose ownership seems pretty square.

What?

As a Colts fan you are telling me former GM Bill Polian isn't easy to deal with? Say it ain't so!

Color me shocked!

Smile 

I don't know if I like the franchise being so cozy with Agents?

Quote:I don't know if I like the franchise being so cozy with Agents?

Why?  Huh 
Quote:Why?  Huh 

Maybe I'm way off here I'm not the claiming to understand all the workings of the business side, but from what I understand the Agents job is to get the most $$$ for his client. As an organization isn't it there goal to get the best deal for said player?

Are we to easy going so much that Agents WANT to deal with us, I know my favorite sales guy is the one that gives me stuff away, just thinking
Quote:Maybe I'm way off here I'm not the claiming to understand all the workings of the business side, but from what I understand the Agents job is to get the most $$$ for his client. As an organization isn't it there goal to get the best deal for said player?

Are we to easy going so much that Agents WANT to deal with us, I know my favorite sales guy is the one that gives me stuff away, just thinking

Yes, you are way off. Did you even read it? "The brass is always responsive and quick to give you honest feedback on your clients." That's something people appreciate so I fail to see how it's bad. The jaguars are honest with players and give them answers quickly.

Also talks about how they are building to the future and the patience of Khan.

Kinda figures a positive article doesn't have much of a response.
Quote:Yes, you are way off. Did you even read it? "The brass is always responsive and quick to give you honest feedback on your clients." That's something people appreciate so I fail to see how it's bad. The jaguars are honest with players and give them answers quickly.

Also talks about how they are building to the future and the patience of Khan.

Kinda figures a positive article doesn't have much of a response.

Yes I read it, I see the part about being honest with feedback as a good thing. I just don't want to be known for easy to negotiate with, I see the Agents and Franchises as two opposites of the negotiation table.
Quote:Yes I read it, I see the part about being honest with feedback as a good thing. I just don't want to be known for easy to negotiate with, I see the Agents and Franchises as two opposites of the negotiation table.

Where in the article does it say we are easy to negotiate?

I for one am perfectly fine being in a top 5 list with the packers, Seahawks, and giants ( even though they are awful this year).
Quote:Where in the article does it say we are easy to negotiate?

I for one am perfectly fine being in a top 5 list with the packers, Seahawks, and giants ( even though they are awful this year).

Calm down JR I'm not saying they ARE easy to negotiate I'm saying if we're that comfy with the agents IS it because we're easy to negotiate with.
Quote:Calm down JR I'm not saying they ARE easy to negotiate I'm saying if we're that comfy with the agents IS it because we're easy to negotiate with.

I'm fine. It IS because of what the article said which mentions nothing about being easy to negotiate with.

The fact is, you have been negative about almost everything lately and this is a positive article that you are somehow trying to spin.

I didn't read it that way at all.  His point was a fair one. The front office/personnel are open with their assessments of players when agents inquire.  I'd hardly call that cozy.  What it does is foster a sense of trust between the guy negotiating a big contract, and the team that will be on the hook to pay for it.  When an agent knows where they stand with a team, it makes the normal negotiating process less of a hassle.  Fewer holdouts.  Less protracted contract disputes.  Less drama.  If the team has a good relationship with an agent, they're more likely to get more consideration when those agents have clients hitting free agency. 

Quote:Maybe I'm way off here I'm not the claiming to understand all the workings of the business side, but from what I understand the Agents job is to get the most $$$ for his client. As an organization isn't it there goal to get the best deal for said player?

Being easy to talk to and easy to negotiate with aren't the same thing.

I take it to mean the Jaguars are an honorable organization. You can be fair and still be tough. There is nothing wrong with having the reputation that makes others want to work with you. This is isn't Congress you know. Smile
Hell yes they like us. They been bringing their scrub free agents to Jax to vacation for years now and getting paid. Whats not to like from their viewpoint?

It begs the question then, why don't we get many high end/top shelf free agents?

Do you prefer the guy who gives you free stuff, but then hides extra costs when you buy from him to the guy who is up front and honest but doesn't give you anything free?
Pages: 1 2