Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is This Jones-Drew's Last Year In Jacksonville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Shefter was asked if the Jags should trade MJD since they are in full rebuilding mode and Shefter says it probably won't happen, due to obvious reasons that we have discussed.  He did go on to say MJD is averaging 2.3 yards per carry this year and hasn't even come close to a 100 yard game, and there wouldn't be any teams knocking the door down.  Then reality hit when he said "He is an older back" 

Of course we all know he is older and injured.  Its always tough to let go. 

So that leads to my question to all of the die-hards on this board.  I was hoping the die-softs wouldn't chime in with the usual "One-Liners"....but a reason behind your opinion would be appreciated. 

With the way this year is going, and with the way that the season is probably going to end up (2-14 or something along those lines).............Is it safe to say this is MJD's last year in Jacksonville?  I'm neutral on this topic as of right now.

Sign him to a small contract, with incentives
I think he is probably gone after this year. He'll get a "meh" contract offer from us, but will probably go to a team where he has a chance to win a ring.

As much as I want him to get it together and retire peacefully with us, he's just not worth the effort or money anymore.

Hes going to leave, just like Steven Jackson did last year. Two backs who were the stars of their pathetics teams for 7 years, then move on to a contender. I really dont blame them, Id like to have some success in my career.

It was reported today that both sides are open to him being brought back. My guess is that he probably returns on a team friendly deal and has a chance to split carries with a younger guy.
We will most likely offer him nothing close to the money he wants.  He will be gone, to bad I love MJD and how hard he ran in his prime.

Quote:I think he is probably gone after this year. He'll get a "meh" contract offer from us, but will probably go to a team where he has a chance to win a ring.

I am leaning towards your thought.  He will probably be offered a Meh contract, and then he will rather have a shot for a ring.
yeah.  sadly he is done. we really ran him into the ground. but on the bright side we got to enjoy all of his meaningful carear. he should be able to hang on for a year or two as an aging change of pace kinda back somewhere else.

Quote:It was reported today that both sides are open to him being brought back. My guess is that he probably returns on a team friendly deal and has a chance to split carries with a younger guy.

I'm with you Jagsfreak27, but lets be real man.  He will probably get more money on the open market and will have a shot at a Super Bowl.  As all of us men on this board would probably agree.....the same money and a shot at a ring outweighs the same money and no shot at a ring. 

Like I said I am neutral because I don't even know what type of money we would save and the business side of things. 
I'd love to see him get it going again. If he does he may have a couple more years in him somewhere else. (doubt he'll like the offer he gets from Jags if one comes)

He sure seems to be having a tough time coming back from this foot injury.  This O-line sure a'int helpin' matters.

There's a report floating around that the Jags are still open to resigning MJD. With that said I highly doubt he'll be back based on what Caldwell is doing and the fact that RBs are pretty much a devalued position. MJD will want more money than he is worth and the Jags won't be willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth, especially considering you can essentially get the same production from a mid round pick for almost nothing contract wise. Days of big time contracts like what Chris Johnson got are long gone. 1st round RBs are a thing of the past. Its a passing league now, time to get with the times.
Gene Smiff really wasted his career

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a back and put him in the same situation that he was in with Fred Taylor.

Our offense would be incredible if we managed to land an effective back to split with MJD in addition to Teddy Bridgewater.

Quote:Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a back and put him in the same situation that he was in with Fred Taylor.

Our offense would be incredible if we managed to land an effective back to split with MJD in addition to Teddy Bridgewater.

I'm afraid that year was supposed to be this year.  But we don't have anybody to pass the torch to.  The next RB we draft will probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder.  The days of taking a RB in the first or even the second rounds are over.  These days, you just plug a RB in that can catch and pass block and go with it.

The days of RB's carrying the ball 25-30 times per game are over.
Yes
When people pose questions such as that in the OP, I wonder if anybody else really understands what's going on with this team.
He will be resigned unless we get a offer and judging from the Monroe trade it doesn't matter how low. And to clarify Monroe wasn't on the block, Ozzie is the one who approached and made an offer. I feel we should have played hard ball but thats not an issue anymore its already happended.

MJD is not gonna get alot on the open market, dude literally has no leverage right now (a season removed form a major injury, age and poor production) and even if he did command a big price tag we have a crap load of cap space, the combination of rookie wage scale and our genral philosphy of building through the draft(see Eugene Monroe trade for picks) means we are not gonna make any major free agent splashes unless its to resign our own players so it would not be an issue. They can be very flexible with their money right now if they want to be.

TL;DR letting MJD walk would we a Gene Smith move. BTW just because I don't like the vaue of the Monroe trade doesn't mean I don't think Caldwell can't turn it around.

Quote:I think he is probably gone after this year. He'll get a "meh" contract offer from us, but will probably go to a team where he has a chance to win a ring.
I think you might be giving him too much credit. Freddy T had a little gas left in the tank when he was released. Not a ton, but enough that he was an attractive option for a team needing a veteran running back.

Mojo's completely shot, if the first few games are any indication. I hope he proves us all wrong and comes back with the vengeance in the second half of this year, but from what I've seen of him, he looks slow, much slower than in years past. If he does move on next year, my totally uneducated, completely wild guess would be that it's as a third-down back or change of pace runner. I don't see him going in like Taylor did and becoming the lead back, even for a year.
I'll let Mojo decide when he's had enough
Pages: 1 2 3