Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coughlin calls Blakes throwing motion 'corrected'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-motion/ Coughlin said. “This past year, a lack of production, if you will, turnovers, too many. He’s a talented young man. Had some flaws in his throwing motion that he did a nice job of working on in the offseason and pretty much correcting. So, we’ve seen some good things there.” sorry about formating having trouble pasting. Anyhow, theres the quote. Do you guys think Coughlin is talking up Blake or is he for real? I am leaning towards for real, but I want to see what others say.
Yea I read this but it means nothing if he can't do it during live games. We will see.
It's easy to be corrected when you are throwing in shorts with no pressure on you.
Like everyone else is saying i`ll believe it when he does it in a real game.
(06-06-2017, 06:31 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-motion/ Coughlin said. “This past year, a lack of production, if you will, turnovers, too many. He’s a talented young man. Had some flaws in his throwing motion that he did a nice job of working on in the offseason and pretty much correcting. So, we’ve seen some good things there.” sorry about formating having trouble pasting. Anyhow, theres the quote. Do you guys think Coughlin is talking up Blake or is he for real? I am leaning towards for real, but I want to see what others say.

Not entirely sure what "talking him up" would accomplish now. Besides that, I don't recall Coughlin ever "talking up" anyone. Granted, it's been a long time since he ran things here before, but he always struck me as honest and not prone to propaganda. I think it is his honest assessment based upon what he has seen thus far. Based upon the quote you provided, he said Bortles was "correcting" his motion, not that it was completely and irrevocably fixed.

As so many of you here have pointed out, the true test is when the pads come on and he is under pressure. Hopefully, his mechanics in the 4th quarter after he has been hit a few times will not be different from his mechanics on his opening drive before he gets hit. For that matter, I hope he doesn't get hit at all.
(06-06-2017, 06:48 PM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]It's easy to be corrected when you are throwing in shorts with no pressure on you.

Eh, he didn't look good throwing the ball in shorts last season. It remains to be seen if it unwinds once the season starts, but he's progressed.
Agreed, there was already concern about accuracy at this point last year before they even put on pads.
Honestly Gus and his staff were so terrible and their gameplan was literally "hope and pray" since they got to Jax. They never made adjustments or made any progressive movement to change anything that wasn't working. Doug Marrone gets the interim job and is basically like..well...why not start moving our receivers around instead of lining them up in the same damn spot every time? Gus was such an easy coach to get sloppy with and everyone just fell off the train tracks. Coughlin and Doug will not let that happen. Bortles does deserve this final year as do some other players on this roster.
Coughlin always comes across as a straight shooter to me. Hopefully his comment is an honest assessment by a skeptic not someone trying to bolster sales. Like the Coughlin signed jersey promotion!
(06-06-2017, 06:31 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-motion/ Coughlin said. “This past year, a lack of production, if you will, turnovers, too many. He’s a talented young man. Had some flaws in his throwing motion that he did a nice job of working on in the offseason and pretty much correcting. So, we’ve seen some good things there.” sorry about formating having trouble pasting. Anyhow, theres the quote. Do you guys think Coughlin is talking up Blake or is he for real? I am leaning towards for real, but I want to see what others say.

I'm sure it's a sincere synopsis from TC, but as others have stated we need to see if the improved technique he's seeing regresses in September when the pressure is real.
(06-07-2017, 07:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm sure it's a sincere synopsis from TC, but as others have stated we need to see if the improved technique he's seeing regresses in September when the pressure is real.

This wasn't an issue in 2015 and he worked harder at it this off season than in 2015 so i think he is going to have the same results.
(06-07-2017, 07:26 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2017, 07:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure it's a sincere synopsis from TC, but as others have stated we need to see if the improved technique he's seeing regresses in September when the pressure is real.

This wasn't an issue in 2015 and he worked harder at it this off season than in 2015 so i think he is going to have the same results.

I hope he has better results. His accuracy was pretty inconsistent in 2015 and several of the INTs from that season should be fixable with improved accuracy or wiser decision making. I don't expect the number of yards and TDs necessarily - but better, more consistent accuracy and fewer picks. 

I'm fairly optimistic we'll see a better Bortles this season.
We'll see. It's easy to stay sharp and focused fundamentally when you don't have to mentally and physically worry about contact with that red jersey on.

Once the rounds become live and he's in pre-season action we'll know better.
Tighter spiral for sure but he must be able read the field and protect the ball
I'm holding onto Hope.. And she slapped me..
(06-07-2017, 09:08 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm holding onto Hope.. And she slapped me..

The struggle is real.
Coughlin doesn't "talk guys up" and so if he says the mechanics have improved then I believe him. Technical throwing needs constant adjustment as a QB goes through their career. The biggest mistake Blake made last year was not going back to Tom House and his company to work on mechanics. The second was that Blake was throwing too much and really burning out his arm.

I have always believed that Bortles is not a natural thrower based more on his physiological make-up. When you examine his body type, you really don't see a QB frame, but rather a Tight End or Receiver (not that he would be excellent at those positions). Remember his receiving TD against the Titans - He looked very natural extending his legs and dipping his shoulder back to anticipate the catch and run the ball forward with his body.
You can see Blake drop this one a bit before pulling it to his ear. Nothing like last year, but that extra little motion is in there.
A-Rob has to slow down for it a bit also :/
Not the end of the world or anything - but I'm in hyper-critical mode.
https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/872292310263967745
(06-07-2017, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]You can see Blake drop this one a bit before pulling it to his ear. Nothing like last year, but that extra little motion is in there.
Not the end of the world or anything -  but I'm in hyper-critical mode.

Yes, I can see what you're talking about. Coaches need to be on him like white on rice when it comes to his motion.

Probably needs a custom contraption with a rope between the top of his head and his wrist that physically stops him from moving his arm more than a certain amount down without immediately knowing it.
(06-07-2017, 10:31 AM)TheAll22 Wrote: [ -> ]Coughlin doesn't "talk guys up" and so if he says the mechanics have improved then I believe him. Technical throwing needs constant adjustment as a QB goes through their career. The biggest mistake Blake made last year was not going back to Tom House and his company to work on mechanics. The second was that Blake was throwing too much and really burning out his arm.

I have always believed that Bortles is not a natural thrower based more on his physiological make-up. When you examine his body type, you really don't see a QB frame, but rather a Tight End or Receiver (not that he would be excellent at those positions). Remember his receiving TD against the Titans - He looked very natural extending his legs and dipping his shoulder back to anticipate the catch and run the ball forward with his body.

(06-07-2017, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]You can see Blake drop this one a bit before pulling it to his ear. Nothing like last year, but that extra little motion is in there.
Not the end of the world or anything - but I'm in hyper-critical mode.

In this play Yannick is a LDE, with Campbell at DT. Bouye is lined up at CB2 with Thompson at SS. Hmm
Pages: 1 2