Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: For Some, a salve to the offseason - Athlon's 2017 Pro Preview Is Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know print is a dated, arguably obsolete medium.

Nevertheless, I remain a sucker for the preseason magazines.

The college books have already come out.

As of yesterday, the first of the NFL magazines have hit the stands with Athlon's 2017 pro preview.

The Jaguars related nuggets include:

A) There is a positional rankings sytem that ranks the players by position league wide. As you might imagine, no Jaguars are at the very top of any of these individual position rankings or in the top 50 overall rankings. Bortles rates as the 25th best QB, between Tyrod Taylor and Cutler. Brandon Linder ranked as the 9th best C. Malik Jackson ranked 16th among DTs. The Jaguars player with the highest ranking among players at his position was Calais Campbell, was Athlon's lists as the 5th best 3-4 DE. Telvin Smith was the 9th best 4-3 OLB according to Athlon's. But the rankings that may be most controversial to Jaguars fans are the CB rankings, where Jalen Ramsey ranks 8th overall right between Denver QBs Aqib Talib and Chris Harris, while Bouye was 15th overall.

B. The Jaguars are picked last in the division, with Tennessee being the favorites to win the AFC South.
When did Athlon become a comedy rag?
(06-07-2017, 06:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]...
But the rankings that may be most controversial to Jaguars fans are the CB rankings, where Jalen Ramsey ranks 8th overall right between Denver QBs Aqib Talib and Chris Harris, while Bouye was 15th overall.

B.  The Jaguars are picked last in the division, with Tennessee being the favorites to win the AFC South.

This particular "salve" you've quoted seems to be giving me a rash.  Confused

Kidding aside, the rankings are pretty fair and I'm fairly confident Jackson, Ramsey and Bouye will see higher rankings next offseason.
(06-07-2017, 06:47 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: [ -> ]When did Athlon become a comedy rag?

The only issue I have with the Jaguars related stuff are the CB rankings.

(06-07-2017, 06:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2017, 06:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]...
But the rankings that may be most controversial to Jaguars fans are the CB rankings, where Jalen Ramsey ranks 8th overall right between Denver QBs Aqib Talib and Chris Harris, while Bouye was 15th overall.

B.  The Jaguars are picked last in the division, with Tennessee being the favorites to win the AFC South.

This particular "salve" you've quoted seems to be giving me a rash.  Confused

Kidding aside, the rankings are pretty fair and I'm fairly confident Jackson, Ramsey and Bouye will see higher rankings next offseason.

For additional context, here are the top 20 CB rankings from Athlon's.

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Richard Sherman
3. Marcus Peters
4. Josh Norman
5. Janoris Jenkins
6. Malcolm Butler
7. Chris Harris
8. Jalen Ramsey
9. Aqib Talib
10. Xavier Rhodes
11. Brent Grimes
12. Stephon Gilmore
13. Trumaine Johnson
14. Darius Slay
15. A.J. Bouye
16. Logan Ryan
17. Jonathan Joseph
18. Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie
19. Desmond Trufant
20. Tramaine Brock.

Taking this in context both of our CBs rank higher than any other CB in the division, according to Athlon's.

The sense I have is Ramsey should be higher. I think if I were compiling this list, I might switch him with Jenkins.

As to the predictions, I can't be surprised by the last place prediction. As much as I think our talent has improved a great deal, until we prove otherwise, we should be a last place pick.
I don't have any major qualms with it. If anything the Broncos CBs got shafted. Harris Jr, Talib, and Roby were 1-2-3 in the entire league in yards allowed per play or passer rating per play I forget which one...but regardless super studly.
(06-07-2017, 07:21 AM)KYjaggy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have any major qualms with it. If anything the Broncos CBs got shafted. Harris Jr, Talib, and Roby were 1-2-3 in the entire league in yards allowed per play or passer rating per play I forget which one...but regardless super studly.

I believe they truly benefit from a pass rush in Denver and if Ramsey was in that same system they would consider him Patrick Peterson.
I am actually okay with Ramsey and Bouye being ranked where they are. Ramsey being 8th ranked after just 16 games is a tremendous indication of what's to come. Next year he should be where Jenkins is at and you couldn't ask for much more.

Bouye I think is in a unique position. Correct me if I am wrong but he did mostly cover out of the nickel last year with the tinhorns right? And I assume his role is going to be more along the lines of being outside now. So he's going to have more passes coming his way to prove himself.

As far as us finishing in the basement again in 2017? Fair assessment. Have to show up in the win column first to start getting more favorable and glowing remarks from the media.
(06-07-2017, 07:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually okay with Ramsey and Bouye being ranked where they are. Ramsey being 8th ranked after just 16 games is a tremendous indication of what's to come. Next year he should be where Jenkins is at and you couldn't ask for much more.

Bouye I think is in a unique position. Correct me if I am wrong but he did mostly cover out of the nickel last year with the tinhorns right? And I assume his role is going to be more along the lines of being outside now. So he's going to have more passes coming his way to prove himself.

As far as us finishing in the basement again in 2017? Fair assessment. Have to show up in the win column first to start getting more favorable and glowing remarks from the media.

I'm pretty sure after Joseph and Jackson were injured Bouye was the #1 CB for the tinhorns remaining 7 or 8 games last year.
Almost forgot, Athlon's graded our draft a B-.

For divisional context...

Texans: A
Colts: C
Tacks: B+
(06-07-2017, 07:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2017, 07:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually okay with Ramsey and Bouye being ranked where they are. Ramsey being 8th ranked after just 16 games is a tremendous indication of what's to come. Next year he should be where Jenkins is at and you couldn't ask for much more.

I'm pretty sure after Joseph and Jackson were injured Bouye was the #1 CB for the tinhorns remaining 7 or 8 games last year.

Good deal. Hopefully he makes a lot of splash plays for us. I know we don't have the pass rush that he was afforded up front out there but I think he can get it done opposite of Ramsey.
I grew up with some form of the internet my entire life, but for a short period of time around kindergarten through 3rd grade, I remember loving the print and collecting magazine rankings or ratings. It honestly gave rankings more weight vs being able to get that sort of thing through every medium and every website. Print still has a place in the world
I found Athlon to be very uncomfortable and would recommend using Charmin or Quilted Northern instead.
It's great to see Ramsey at #8.

After the season ended the experts came out and had Ramsey cracking their list at #10. He's moving on up already.
Noteworthy items from Lindy's...

Like Athlon's, Lindy's picks us to finish last in the division.

However, they gave our draft an A-, second highest in the division behind the Tacks, who received an A.

In ranking the NFLs best players and units:

QB-Bortles is not ranked among the top 21 QBs according to Lindy's.

WR-Allen Robinson does not rank among the top 15 #1 WRs, nor does Hurns rank among the top 15 #2 WRs. However, Marqise Lee is rated as the 5th best #3 WR.

TE- As you might imagine, Marcedes Lewis is not ranked among the top #1 or #2 TEs.

RB-Chris Ivory is not ranked among the top RBs, but Yeldon is ranked as the 7th best #2 RB.

T-Jaguars newcomer Branden Albert Ranks as the 10th best T, and best in the AFC South.

C. Brandon Linder is ranked as the 14th best C, and like Albert, the best C in the AFC South.

The tacks rank as the 4th best OL in the AFC, and combining both lines, the tacks rank 3rd best in the trenches.

Some interesting DL analysis...

Lindy's ranks Dante Fowler...yes him...as the 10th best 4-3 LDE, but strangely, they rank Calais Campbell as the best right side 4-3 DE. J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney rank 1-2 among 3-4 DEs, and the Texans rank as the best DL in the AFC.

Poz makes the top 10 4-3 Sams, while Telvin Smith is unranked among the 4-3 wills. Myles Jack, despite playing very little last year, made 10th best 4-3 Mike.

The secondary has some odd rankings.

Under the heading of "Numero Uno CBs, A.J. Bouye ranks as the 13th overall CB, while Jalen Ramsey ranks as the 7th best #2 CB.

WHile Jaguars fans don't seem overly enthused about Gipson, Lindy's gives him the 12th overall FS ranking (best in the AFCS).

Overall, the Jaguars secondary ranked 3rd best in the AFC behind only Denver and New England.

Under the heading of "Best skilled talent" (I am assuming best offensive and defensive skill players) Jacksonville ranks 8th league wide.
Two rags have picked us to finish last in the division and I'm over here trying to not be optimistic in June because I see a schedule full of winnable games.
(06-10-2017, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Noteworthy items from Lindy's...

However, they gave our draft an A-, second highest in the division behind the Tacks, who received an A.

WR-Allen Robinson does not rank among the top 15 #1 WRs, nor does Hurns rank among the top 15 #2 WRs.  However, Marqise Lee is rated as the 5th best #3 WR.

TE- As you might imagine, Marcedes Lewis is not ranked among the top #1 or #2 TEs.

RB-Chris Ivory is not ranked mong the top RBs, but Yeldon is ranked as the 7th best #2 RB.

T-Jaguars newcomer Branden Albert Ranks as the 10th best T, and best in the AFC South.

C.  Brandon Linder is ranked as the 14th best C, and like Albert, the best C in the AFC South.

The tacks rank as the 4th best OL in the AFC, and combining both lines, the tacks rnak 3rd best in the trenches.

Some interesting DL analysis

Lindy's ranks Dante Fowler...yes him,,,as the 10th best 4-3 LDE, but strangely, they rank Calais Campbell as the best right side 4-3 DE.  J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney rank 1-2 among 3-4 DEs, and the Texans rank as the best DL in the AFC.

Poz makes the top 10 4-3 Sams, while Telvin Smith is unranked among the 4-3 wills.  Myles Jack, despite playing very little last year, made 10th best 4-3 Mike.

Under the heading of "Numero Uno CBs, A.J. Bouye ranks as the 13th overall CB, while Jalen Ramsey ranks as the 7th best #2 CB.

WHile Jaguars fans don't seem overly enthused about Gipson, Lindy's gives him the 12th overall FS ranking (best in the AFCS).

Overall, the Jaguars secondary ranked 3rd best in the AFC behind only Denver and New England.

Under the heading of "Best skilled talent" (I am assuming best offensive and defensive skill players) Jacksonville ranks 8th league wide.

I'll not blame them for picking the Jaguars to be last, that's just how things are done, predictions usually mirror where teams ended up the year before for the most part, so the division is expected to be a tight race between the three teams that finished last season within a win of each other.

The bizarre part would be their player ratings, show without any doubt that they haven't a clue when Ramsey is rated as a so-so second CB when the reality is he's a top of the league first CB.
(06-11-2017, 08:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

WR-Allen Robinson does not rank among the top 15 #1 WRs, nor does Hurns rank among the top 15 #2 WRs.  However, Marqise Lee is rated as the 5th best #3 WR.

RB-Chris Ivory is not ranked mong the top RBs, but Yeldon is ranked as the 7th best #2 RB.

C.  Brandon Linder is ranked as the 14th best C, and like Albert, the best C in the AFC South.

The tacks rank as the 4th best OL in the AFC, and combining both lines, the tacks rnak 3rd best in the trenches.

Some interesting DL analysis

Lindy's ranks Dante Fowler...yes him,,,as the 10th best 4-3 LDE, but strangely, they rank Calais Campbell as the best right side 4-3 DE.  J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney rank 1-2 among 3-4 DEs, and the Texans rank as the best DL in the AFC.

Poz makes the top 10 4-3 Sams, while Telvin Smith is unranked among the 4-3 wills.  Myles Jack, despite playing very little last year, made 10th best 4-3 Mike.

I'll not blame them for picking the Jaguars to be last, that's just how things are done, predictions usually mirror where teams ended up the year before for the most part, so the division is expected to be a tight race between the three teams that finished last season within a win of each other.

The bizarre part would be their player ratings, show without any doubt that they haven't a clue when Ramsey is rated as a so-so second CB when the reality is he's a top of the league first CB.

That is my take as well.

I also thought listing Fowler and Campbell the way they did was bizarre.

(06-11-2017, 07:07 AM)Kotite Wrote: [ -> ]Two rags have picked us to finish last in the division and I'm over here trying to not be optimistic in June because I see a schedule full of winnable games.

My thing is many people-Gil Brandt, Terrell Davis, Lindy's, among others-seem to say we are a talented team.  We have a  schedule that could lend itself to success if we have our stuff together.

I think these mags, like most others, are holding back on picking us to win due to "unknowns" at coach and QB.  I think our coaching and QB play are going to be better.

There is no way Marrone is as bad as Bradley as coach, and I think that will have a positive effect on Bortles.

We will be better than people think.

The above bits just reek of poor research by the analyst.
The glaring inaccuracies to me include:

- In the most conventional sense, Lee was the #2 WR in 2016, not the #3. Seems very odd to list him there.

- Snubbing Telvin in the 4-3 WLB category is a head-scratcher.  Are there 10 weak side LBs playing in a 4-3 in the NFL that are better than Telvin?

- The DL stuff definitely means someone didn't do his homework.

- Ramsey listed as a #2 is comically inaccurate.
(06-11-2017, 09:24 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2017, 08:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I'll not blame them for picking the Jaguars to be last, that's just how things are done, predictions usually mirror where teams ended up the year before for the most part, so the division is expected to be a tight race between the three teams that finished last season within a win of each other.

That is my take as well.

I also thought listing Fowler and Campbell the way they did was bizarre.

(06-11-2017, 07:07 AM)Kotite Wrote: [ -> ]Two rags have picked us to finish last in the division and I'm over here trying to not be optimistic in June because I see a schedule full of winnable games.

My thing is many people-Gil Brandt, Terrell Davis, Lindy's, among others-seem to say we are a talented team.  We have a  schedule that could lend itself to success if we have our stuff together.

I think these mags, like most others, are holding back on picking us to win due to "unknowns" at coach and QB.  I think our coaching and QB play are going to be better.

There is no way Marrone is as bad as Bradley as coach, and I think that will have a positive effect on Bortles.

We will be better than people think.

I totally agree about Marrone being better than Bradley, we already can be confident of that because he's already shown he can lead a team without a franchise QB to its only winning record in the last ten years including wins over Green Bay and New England.
Good God.. In order for Marrone to be worse than Bradley, it would mean we had back-to-back the worst head coaches in league history.

I think I have thrown up enough watching this team the last few years. There is nothing left to throw up. I would just be wretching up bile if we were worse.
Pages: 1 2