Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles going back to California after mini camp.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Per multiple tweets, Blake is going to head back to Cali to continue his work at 3dQB after mini camp. 

Say what you will, but the guys is absolutely working hard to be better. I have high hopes for him this year.
Good idea
The more opportunities he takes the continue to work on his mechanics and footwork, the better. It's encouraging that it appears he is taking this seriously.
That's good news.

He needs to engrain proper technique at every opportunity.
Didn't he just hang out and party in Jax Beach last year during the offseason? It was his worst season. He sees the writing on the wall. It's either put in the work now and prove himself this year or be relegated to backup status until he fades from the league.

Personally, I'd be afraid to look Marrone or Coughlin in the eye knowing I did anything less than what he's doing now. The boy has no laurels to rest on.
I think we are going to see the best Bortles yet. Maybe not 35 touchdowns but I think he will have the least amount of turnovers in his career and the most wins in a season for him.

I'm getting more and more excited for this season. Having the offense practice against this defense every day is certainly going to help.
Some quotes from Bortles' presser today:

- "The mechanics have held up thus far." 

- "From what we can do w/o pads - the running game is looking good."

- O'Halloran: Will you head to LA for a tune-up at all? 
     BB: Yeah - I'll be out there the whole month we're off. 
          (goes on to say the work this time around will be more specific)

- On Hackett's offense:
       "I think it's awesome...  There's a big package that can be tailored down to a smaller package in a specific game-plan and                    more options off of those smaller packages."   < very paraphrased for brevity 
(I love this ^  because game planning specifically for an opponents strengths/weaknesses seemed non-existant under the prior staff)

- RE: a change of focus:

"...guys are just sick and tired of being below average and not being successful when we feel like we have the ability to be a good team. 
  ...It's time to make a change. It's not gonna happen overnight, you have to go do something about it."
(06-14-2017, 01:52 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Per multiple tweets, Blake is going to head back to Cali to continue his work at 3dQB after mini camp. 

Say what you will, but the guys is absolutely working hard to be better. I have high hopes for him this year.

I saw this as well : http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...fore-camp/ the quotes are very encouraging. I am on the hype train, Bortles is gonna deliver the goods this season I believe.
(06-14-2017, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ](I love this ^  because game planning specifically for an opponents strengths/weaknesses seemed non-existant under the prior staff)

Didn't you like the five-and-out we ran every time we we're on 3rd and 7?
(06-14-2017, 04:59 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ](I love this ^  because game planning specifically for an opponents strengths/weaknesses seemed non-existant under the prior staff)

Didn't you like the five-and-out we ran every time we we're on 3rd and 7?

It was like waving a white flag.  Undecided
The push over is goine... all of these guys need to work it this year. My follow up statement back would have been... yeah well the fans have been tired of you being below average and not being successful.
Good to hear
Blake also said he thinks the WRs have run more routes through this year's OTAs than they did the past 3 years combined.
I think the "statistical success" of 2015 went to Bortles head and he thought everything was already set for him. I hope he realizes what it takes to be great in that profession. The best ones never stop working to get better.
Good to hear these remarks by him. Looking forward to seeing them in pads
(06-14-2017, 08:21 PM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]I think the "statistical success" of 2015 went to Bortles head and he thought everything was already set for him. I hope he realizes what it takes to be great in that profession. The best ones never stop working to get better.

I disagree with that because he had gotten bad advice last offseason from coaches who posed to have his best interest at heart. If anything, I hope he starts to take his career in his own hands and do what's best for his situation.
(06-14-2017, 02:37 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]

cool song about Joni Mitchell

RE: BOTLES ---> I honestly don't know what happened to Bortles last year.  He never went to CA during his college career and didn't have that dramatic of a hitch in his throw at UCF -- see highlight link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUfe4zKvpw
(06-14-2017, 09:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]RE: BOTLES ---> I honestly don't know what happened to Bortles last year.  He never went to CA during his college career and didn't have that dramatic of a hitch in his throw at UCF -- see highlight link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUfe4zKvpw

Bortles was throwing the ball just fine in his victories over the Colts and Bears. If you watch the tail end of the Bears game, Bortles takes a good hit that I suspect initially injured his arm. He claims to have injured it a couple weeks later against the Titans, but that may be due to nfl rules with Gus not revealing the injury. It was obvious in the Raiders game that his arm was hurt bad. He needed the extra hitch to throw.
He did have moments last year and 2015 when he looked like he had the talent to be a big time QB but a big mistake here or there would snowball. Might say that good players don't make those kinds of mistakes and that would be right but correcting the mental mistakes / mechanics is a lot more feasible than fixing big deficits in basic talent. I'm feeling optimistic.
Pages: 1 2