Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tony Boselli 18th best offensive tackle of all time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
20 greatest offensive tackles of all-time  I usually enjoy Gil Brandt from NFL.com but he's definitely wrong on this. Boselli is at least top 5. Boselli played during the golden years of offensive tackles Jonathan Ogden,Wilie Roaf,Walter Jones, Orlando Pace,Etc. Anthony Munoz who is considered by most as the best of all time has said he thinks Boselli is best of all time. Larry Allen the former Cowboys great is also up there too.
This is a joke. Boselli is arguably the greatest ever. He gave up like 5 sacks his entire career. If he would have played 4 more years, we wouldn't be questioning it.

Drafted #2 overall, then drafted #1 overall by the Texans.

They are all enshrined in the hall of fame, except for Boselli and Joe Thomas.

Boselli and Joe Thomas should be swapped on this list.
Boselli should be higher than Thomas. I understand he didn't have the career length but his years were insanely impressive.

He flat out owned Bruce Smith. The all time leading sack artist with 200.0 in his career. Or close to 200.0. And he owned Jason Taylor during his prime.

If he played longer he's arguably behind Munoz and nobody else. I guess you can give Pace, Ogden, Slater and Roaf the nod over him because they held up longer.

But that's about it. Still, pretty dang impressive to crack a top twenty list with only 90 some odd career starts. Just shows you how great he was.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I think when you get to a top 20 of all-time type of list just being on it is a compliment. Any single one of those guys could be just about anywhere on that list.
Considering the fact that Tony hasn't played a snap in more than a decade, and he had a relatively short NFL career, the fact that he's still worthy of being mentioned among the 20 best at his position of all time is actually a good thing.
When he played, he was definitely the best.
My top 5:

5. ) Jonathan Ogden
4. ) Joe Thomas
3. ) Tony Boselli
2. ) Bruce Matthews
1. ) Anthony Munoz
Joe Thomas is no where near Boselli. In fact, they are on different planets. I don't care about the Pro bowls and all pros.

Boselli is a top 5 tackle. Joe Thomas is like 10th or so..
(06-22-2017, 04:08 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Joe Thomas is no where near Boselli. In fact, they are on different planets. I don't care about the Pro bowls and all pros.

Boselli is a top 5 tackle. Joe Thomas is like 10th or so..

That's why it's my top-5 and not your's.

To be fair, the more I think about it, I'd probably switch Ogden with Thomas.

Thomas has longevity and performance. While he may not be as dominate as consistently, he certainly has been as dominant at times. He's also consistently top-5 or top-3 every year and he's been doing this for over a decade.
(06-22-2017, 02:49 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]My top 5:

5. ) Jonathan Ogden
4. ) Joe Thomas
3. ) Tony Boselli
2. ) Bruce Matthews
1. ) Anthony Munoz

1. Anthony Munoz
2. Willie Roaf
3. Walter Jones
4. Bruce Matthews
5. Tony Boselli

I haven't even looked at Brandt's list yet. This is off the top of my head.

5. ) Jonathan Ogden
4. ) Joe Thomas
3. ) Tony Boselli
2. ) Bruce Matthews
1. ) Anthony Munoz

I'd take Ogden for 176 games over Boselli and 91 games in a heartbeat.

Same with Joe Thomas who has 160 games and counting.
Gil's list is eye opening... not at all what I was thinking.

I'm shocked he has Ogden #2... and Roaf way down at #16.
Nothing wrong with being 18th best of all time. That's Hall of Fame level.
I'm surprised Khalif Barnes isn't on there.
The problem is. Some of these voting are business minded men. And look at the Nfl as a major company rather then just a game. And as a business owner would you rather have someone elite for the short term or to hold down your business for as long as possible when chosen candidates? In today's world.

While it is not right. And he should be much higher. Can't say those who played longer are not equal. When the NFL is a what can you do for me for the longest time game.

And not like the NBA. These few years matter.

5. ) Jonathan Ogden
4. ) Joe Thomas
3. ) Tony Boselli
2. ) Bruce Matthews
1. ) Anthony Munoz

Bruce Matthews was always problematic for me, because he played all over the line, and to the best of my memory, most of the time was inside.  But he was dominant at every position.

It's hard to imagine Boselli 18th among tackles all time.

Clearly the ranking has to be a reflection of longevity/lack of.
(06-23-2017, 04:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Clearly the ranking has to be a reflection of longevity/lack of.

Absolutely, but I fully agree.  However, if you'd rank players based on 5-years of performance, I'd have to say Boselli would be in the Top 3 along with Munoz
(06-23-2017, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 04:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Clearly the ranking has to be a reflection of longevity/lack of.

Absolutely, but I fully agree.  However, if you'd rank players based on 5-years of performance, I'd have to say Boselli would be in the Top 3 along with Munoz

This i agree with.  But what made it even more memorable.  It was an elite tackle that panned out for an expansion team.
(06-23-2017, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

(06-23-2017, 05:54 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely, but I fully agree.  However, if you'd rank players based on 5-years of performance, I'd have to say Boselli would be in the Top 3 along with Munoz

This i agree with.  But what made it even more memorable.  It was an elite tackle that panned out for an expansion team.

Whether it was shutting down the opposition's best pass rusher, collapsing the entire side of an opposing defensive line, chasing down that Bengals CB, or being the enforcer in case an opposing player got out of line, Boselli was an absolute pleasure to watch and is one of the ones who brought glory to an inglorious position.

(06-22-2017, 01:33 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the fact that Tony hasn't played a snap in more than a decade, and he had a relatively short NFL career, the fact that he's still worthy of being mentioned among the 20 best at his position of all time is actually a good thing.

Considering that he made the NFL's All Decade team of the 1990s despite playing half the decade speaks volumes.
(06-23-2017, 06:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely, but I fully agree.  However, if you'd rank players based on 5-years of performance, I'd have to say Boselli would be in the Top 3 along with Munoz

(06-23-2017, 05:54 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]This i agree with.  But what made it even more memorable.  It was an elite tackle that panned out for an expansion team.

Whether it was shutting down the opposition's best pass rusher, collapsing the entire side of an opposing defensive line, chasing down that Bengals CB, or being the enforcer in case an opposing player got out of line, Boselli was an absolute pleasure to watch and is one of the ones who brought glory to an inglorious position.

(06-22-2017, 01:33 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the fact that Tony hasn't played a snap in more than a decade, and he had a relatively short NFL career, the fact that he's still worthy of being mentioned among the 20 best at his position of all time is actually a good thing.

Considering that he made the NFL's All Decade team of the 1990s despite playing half the decade speaks volumes.

And what many people who are new fans dont know.  Originally the Jaguars were in the AFC Central not South.  And oh boy did the steelers hate us. The reason I mentioned that. Is we still won games. Though had the legendary defense. And Boselli and Searcy helped that.
Pages: 1 2