Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Best Jaguar of all time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was debating this with my friends and decided to see what the message board thinks. I said Fred Taylor
Jimmy Smith. No receiver has came close to his records. While some will debate Mojo was close to Taylor. Just did not have the line or weapons Fred did. (I don't agree, but they have that right.) And Brunell believed we were moving to London not staying in Jax.
This same thread gets repeated about every six months or so, and FT always comes out the victor with J-Smooth and T-Bo each getting a few mentions. The thing is, in a couple years we may be saying Ramsey or Fournette. 
Jaxson
Fred's my favorite Jaguar of all time, but I don't see how this isn't a runaway vote for Tony B. He can be easily considered a top 3 LT of all time. As much as I like Fred he's nowhere near that for RBs. Same with Jimmy.
Fred.
Fred

No contest
Has to be Jimmy Smith. What did he have like 9 seasons in a row with 1k yards?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Gotta be LONG DING. On name alone.
It's sad that the only players in the conversation were acquired in '90s. It is nice, though, to have the person responsible for acquiring those players back.
(06-24-2017, 06:46 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta be LONG DING. On name alone.

I stand corrected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Brunell.

If you gave us him in his prime, I guarantee that we are in the playoffs THIS season. There is NO other player in Jag history I can say that about.

It's about winning boys. Everything else is overthinking it.
(06-23-2017, 07:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]This same thread gets repeated about every six months or so, and FT always comes out the victor with J-Smooth and T-Bo each getting a few mentions. The thing is, in a couple years we may be saying Ramsey or Fournette. 

Can we take it easy on the Fournette train?  Probably should wait until he actually plays in the NFL before we start this level of hype....Possibly the greatest Jag of all time before he ever suits up as a Jag - lol
MJD. Bar none.
(06-24-2017, 11:54 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 07:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]This same thread gets repeated about every six months or so, and FT always comes out the victor with J-Smooth and T-Bo each getting a few mentions. The thing is, in a couple years we may be saying Ramsey or Fournette. 

Can we take it easy on the Fournette train?  Probably should wait until he actually plays in the NFL before we start this level of hype....Possibly the greatest Jag of all time before he ever suits up as a Jag - lol

It may not be that far-fetched. I've already seen league experts who are not Jaguars fans suggest that Fournette may be the best RB in the league as a rookie.
Boselli played a premium position and was widely considered THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE at his position throughout his (shortened) career.

Fred was incredibly likeable and talented, though he was never the best in his position.

Jimmy was great. About even with Fred, but not near Boselli great.

MJD was likeable and talented, though not as talented as Fred. Also, quite the malcontent diva near the end of his time here.

Brunell was the beneficiary of good blocking and a talented offensive roster.

...that should be the order of the voting results (including MJD), IMHO.
Most talented at an unsung position ....... Boselli was the greatest
(06-23-2017, 11:54 PM)Jags239 Wrote: [ -> ]Fred's my favorite Jaguar of all time, but I don't see how this isn't a runaway vote for Tony B. He can be easily considered a top 3 LT of all time. As much as I like Fred he's nowhere near that for RBs. Same with Jimmy.

Boselli would be, if not for the longevity factor. That does have to be considered when ranking players in any category. I would argue that Jimmy Smith was just as dominant during that time. He required double coverage most of the time and still set Jaguars' receiving records which may never be broken. He also opened things up for Keenan, who was the perfect number 2 receiver.
Personally, I would have to give the nod to Fred Taylor.  He's 17th all time in career rushing yards, and the number would certainly be higher had he never been injured.  Considering the fact that in an earlier era the league was more "run heavy" than "pass heavy" to be in the top 20 says a lot.

That being said, Jimmy Smith (my all time favorite player) is certainly worth a mention.  However, much of his success was due in part to Keenan McCardell and Mark Brunell as well as the threat of Fred Taylor.

Tony Boselli was certainly one of if not THE best at his position and is destined for the Hall of Fame so he certainly deserves a mention.  Offensive linemen usually aren't in the conversation when talking about a "best player of all time".

Just my opinion, but Mark Brunell shouldn't even be listed in the poll.  While he was a good quarterback, he really wasn't anything special.  Much of his success came from his supporting cast of players.  He certainly isn't talked about like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc..
Fred and it ain't close.

Boselli is 2nd

Jimmy 3rd

Brunell 4th

Brackens 5th

Darius 6th

Searcy 7th

McCardell 8th

Ben Coleman was a top tier guard so he's my 8th
Pages: 1 2