Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Where Were You (Announcement of Jags)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
October of 1993. Where were when it was announced NFL owners voted for Jacksonville to get a team? How did you hear? What was your reaction?

My story:

At home of my best friend. I was a freshman at Mandarin. I had read in Times Union. I knew we were a finalist. I knew Charolotte had gotten one of the two spot. Everyone had said "it is going to be St Louis". I accepted that. My buddies parents were native Germans and very strict. So we are sitting in his bedroom talking about stuff generally when his mother says, "we got an NFL team?" from their living room. We heard her and just stared at each other. We turned on his tv in his room, with the analog bunny ears and the CBS affiliate is all sports and it just keeps repeating "they picked Jacksonville". Me and my friend just went flat nuts. Jumping and yelling. One of the happiest times of my life.
I was riding with my mom on the way to Winn Dixie. We heard it on the radio.

I remember winn dixie couldn't give tickets away..
#wastooyoungtoremember!
I was too young at the time but I remember when AOL was in its prime I wanted my screen name to be jaguar with any number combo behind it, but it didn't work, can't remember why either lol
I was floating in the western Pacific onboard an aircraft carrier with scant idea that Jacksonville, Florida even existed.
At home watching tv, channel 4 I think, and it was announced then mayor Austen came on TV super excited about it.

I was also pretty excited.
I was in California rooting for the 49ers at the time. I heard about the new teams, but back then I hadn't even heard of Jacksonville, Florida. I thought the new team was in Jackson, Mississippi. 
I was a sophomore in college (I think.)

I had attended two of the touchdown Jacksonville rallies downtown in the lead-up to luring the NFL to consider Jacksonville - so I was very excited about the chance of the city landing a team even though chances seemed a bit bleak.

I had just left a late afternoon class, got in my car, turned on the radio and heard that it had happened. My brother and I called each other - raced over to our parents' house where we knew we had once stashed some old fireworks in the garage and began firing them off in celebration.

I still have a weird little collection of random stuff from that period with the old "lawsuit logo."
I was sitting at a bar in Jax Beach. We were all pretty excited when we heard.
Fresh out of the military, had just gotten back in Jax when the news hit.
I was three. So i may have been one of the few on here that literally [BLEEP] my pants when it was announced.
I was 3 years out of the Navy having decided to make The Jax area my home and watched Wayne Weaver on TV saying we got it!
I was sitting at my desk at work. Several people had brought in radios and TVs because it wasn't certain when the announcement was coming. I remember turning to someone to ask if they'd heard any news yet, when a cheer came from down the hall. Not much more work was done that day. Smile
I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston, TX. I didn't find out until I went home for Christmas leave. I was stoked we finally got it even though I wouldn't make it to a game for the next decade. I didn't have a TV so I didn't see the news. I was mad my dad didn't tell me until then. He said it was a Christmas surprise.
[Image: 2zp12fn.jpg]
I was 14 years old attending landon middle school

(07-02-2017, 07:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 2zp12fn.jpg]

I use to live about a mile from that place on Spring Park Road.  I went in there a couple of times but the girls were far from "dolls"
I had just gotten off work and heard on the radio that the NFL was likely to be announcing shortly that Jacksonville would get a team. I went to Mandarin Ale House where the local sportstalk station was covering this live. The announcement was made on live t.v. by the commissioner and the bar erupted. I'm pretty sure David Lamm was the host. What I'll never forget, however, was how everyone was beeping their car horns as I returned home from the bar. This certainly had to rank as one of the best days in Jacksonville history.
I was 8. I just remember my dad telling me we aren't Dolphins fans anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Celebrating my 35th birthday. Not a bad present.
I was 8 years old. I didn't know much about football, just that my dad force fed me the Cowgirls for as much of my childhood as I can remember. He told me the NFL was adding teams and that it was a good time for me to pick my own team. I didn't grow up in Texas like he did so I had no real connection to those Cowboys from the 90s. I was torn between picking the Panthers or the Jaguars as 'my' team. I liked the Panthers color scheme more but I decided since I was a Floridian now no longer a military kid going to be forced to move away I would be a Jaguar fan.
It was kinda cool. A team to call my own.
I wouldn't really get obsessed with football until my teen years. But I remember the 96 Cinderella year and by the time 99 rolled around I had the jackets and hats and the hatred for the tacks.
Pages: 1 2