Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Employment Opportunities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good morning all, TLDR on bottom.

I've been away a few weeks as I have been busy transitioning back to Florida. Indianapolis was nice for it's weather overall, but family and football is here, so I've decided to come back home. My mother is running a business and taking care of my grandparents, both of them are coming up on the last years of their life. She's been running herself ragged between her and her husband running the business, and the time needed to care for my grandparents, so I felt it was important to come back and help them out. 

The problem is, work opportunities have been somewhat limited/slow going in terms of getting anything outside of part time. I have moved back to Lake City, which is where my parents live. But the job availability matching my experience overall has been too slow these past few weeks and I'm having to look outside of the city. So I'm looking towards Jacksonville and Gainesville now. 

With all that being said, I'm wondering if you, or anyone you know, or any places you know, that are hiring. I don't mind commuting to Jacksonville, Lake City, or anything equivalent if needed. I have some of the key following experience: 

-10+ years of management experience in restaurant, retail, insurance, and call center related environment
-10+ years of restaurant experiencece
-5+ years of insurance, sales and service experience

Most of my work experience is in the restaurant business, and it is something that I love doing. However, for the distance, I would want to get into a more management role. I also do enjoy insurance related work as well, and am licensed in the state of Florida. This does not mean that I want to focus on just these 2 areas though, just what I'm the best at.  I do go to school and am working on getting my degree. Those were on campus in Indianapolis, but once I hit state residence here in Florida, I plan to switch and take online classes. 

Lastly, and important, is that I DO partake in cannabis. And that can potentially diminish my job opportunities. And some would say, well it must not be important enough to have a job, if you can't piss clean! And I understand that totally. And I am actually staying clean long enough to pass said test. But will continue, in my own off time, continue to partake. I am just being up front and honest in advance. 

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the right direction of maybe anyone they know, I would appreciate it so much! Thanks!

TLDR: Moved back to FL to help parents out with grandparents, work is low in Lake City, want to find work in surrounding areas. Lots of management, restaurant, and insurance experience. Going to school for Bachelor's. Smokes cannabis, but willing to abstain for pee test for job. Need help with a job, finding a job. Thanks!
Check Philips Hwy in front of The Gator between 8pm and usually 4am.. Lots of employment available.. No real benefits from what I understand, but great pay..
I just saw where they are hiring for the Amazon fulfillment center.
(07-10-2017, 01:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Check Philips Hwy in front of The Gator between 8pm and usually 4am.. Lots of employment available.. No real benefits from what I understand,  but great pay..

You'll be my pimp?

(07-10-2017, 03:12 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...be4cf2d7b8

Cool thanks.
Also hear Amazon is hiring.
You won't find much in florida if your stuck on using weed
(07-11-2017, 12:30 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]You won't find much in florida if your stuck on using weed

I beg to differ. I spent the last 4 years living in Indiana which is far more conservative and anit-cannabis with no problems finding work. They can't even get medical to be considered.
(07-10-2017, 10:45 AM)BigJag57 Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is, work opportunities have been somewhat limited/slow going in terms of getting anything outside of part time. I have moved back to Lake City, which is where my parents live. But the job availability matching my experience overall has been too slow these past few weeks and I'm having to look outside of the city. So I'm looking towards Jacksonville and Gainesville now. 
That is the reason I moved here to NC. Lake City is terrible when it comes to finding a job. I hope you are able to find something.
(07-11-2017, 01:22 PM)BigJag57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2017, 12:30 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]You won't find much in florida if your stuck on using weed

I beg to differ. I spent the last 4 years living in Indiana which is far more conservative and anit-cannabis with no problems finding work. They can't even get medical to be considered.

You said you want to be in management. Even if it's restaurant management it's still only legal in florida with strict guidelines. And for example my employer doesn't even care it's still a termniable offense with us. 

Any national chain or corporation is going to be a no if your still using. That would leave individually owned restaurants that might not care or test you for it. 

I can refer some manual labor jobs that won't care but that doesn't sound like your field?
You only have to worry about it for pre-employment unless you're stoned at work and they send you for a test or get injured.
you said insurance and call center. I just started working at a great company in daytona beach that is actively expanding. We basically sell medicare supplement and advantage plans through humana, UHC, wellcare, aetna, cigma and others. It is surprisingly legit and I can't wait for open enrollment. A buddy at the company made 35000 last year for open enrollment.
Lots of restaurants opening at the new phase of the St. Johns Town Center.
(07-12-2017, 01:00 PM)Kotite Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of restaurants opening at the new phase of the St. Johns Town Center.

Good point. Plus there's plenty of affordable housing not far away.
(07-10-2017, 10:45 AM)BigJag57 Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning all, TLDR on bottom.

I've been away a few weeks as I have been busy transitioning back to Florida. Indianapolis was nice for it's weather overall, but family and football is here, so I've decided to come back home. My mother is running a business and taking care of my grandparents, both of them are coming up on the last years of their life. She's been running herself ragged between her and her husband running the business, and the time needed to care for my grandparents, so I felt it was important to come back and help them out. 

The problem is, work opportunities have been somewhat limited/slow going in terms of getting anything outside of part time. I have moved back to Lake City, which is where my parents live. But the job availability matching my experience overall has been too slow these past few weeks and I'm having to look outside of the city. So I'm looking towards Jacksonville and Gainesville now. 

TLDR: Moved back to FL to help parents out with grandparents, work is low in Lake City, want to find work in surrounding areas. Lots of management, restaurant, and insurance experience. Going to school for Bachelor's. Smokes cannabis, but willing to abstain for pee test for job. Need help with a job, finding a job. Thanks!

Jacksonville is booming right now in the management, retail, restaurant, and insurance industries.  You simply need to make the decision to move to Jacksonville and grab one of the many jobs that are out here right now.  Given the fact that you used to live in Indy, your mom and grandparents will understand plus you can visit them on weekends by just hopping on I-10 for a 70 minute drive back home.  

Get aggressive with your resume and make the move.  You won't be disappointed. 

Advice -> apply for numerous jobs.  Even if it's not the one you want, setting up an interview or 2 is always good practice to get back in the flow. Once you get on a roll, the momentum will ultimately land you a job here in Jax !!

With all that being said, I'm wondering if you, or anyone you know, or any places you know, that are hiring. I don't mind commuting to Jacksonville, Lake City, or anything equivalent if needed. I have some of the key following experience: 

-10+ years of management experience in restaurant, retail, insurance, and call center related environment

Most of my work experience is in the restaurant business, and it is something that I love doing. However, for the distance, I would want to get into a more management role. I also do enjoy insurance related work as well, and am licensed in the state of Florida. This does not mean that I want to focus on just these 2 areas though, just what I'm the best at.  I do go to school and am working on getting my degree. Those were on campus in Indianapolis, but once I hit state residence here in Florida, I plan to switch and take online classes. 

Lastly, and important, is that I DO partake in cannabis. And that can potentially diminish my job opportunities. And some would say, well it must not be important enough to have a job, if you can't piss clean! And I understand that totally. And I am actually staying clean long enough to pass said test. But will continue, in my own off time, continue to partake. I am just being up front and honest in advance. 

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the right direction of maybe anyone they know, I would appreciate it so much! Thanks!

Just so you know, the dollar tree sells marijuana tests, for a dollar. Stop smoking weed for a month, pee clean, and get yourself a job. You will never have to do it again after the intial test, so just use some self control and cheap tests and you will be fine.

Also, agree completely with Hurricane. I have had good luck in the past, dressing up and asking to speak to managers, and then giving my resume. Nothing like showing up in person to make an impression. Nothing says I am ready to work like that does. Applying broadly is good, but don't downplay the human part of it. My grandparents used to own a RV business in Ocala, one day a guy showed up riding a bike to the front of their business asking if they were hiring. They weren't looking for anyone at the time, but as my grandma said, anyone who is willing to ride a bike around to find a job is someone who is really willing to work. She hired him on the spot and he has been at the business ever since (like 20 years). It won't work for a big company usually, but it doesn't hurt either. Resume, suit, in person meeting. Its a lot faster than applying online and waiting.
(07-13-2017, 03:13 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]

Just so you know, the dollar tree sells marijuana tests, for a dollar. Stop smoking weed for a month, pee clean, and get yourself a job. You will never have to do it again after the intial test, so just use some self control and cheap tests and you will be fine.

Also, agree completely with Hurricane. I have had good luck in the past, dressing up and asking to speak to managers, and then giving my resume. Nothing like showing up in person to make an impression. Nothing says I am ready to work like that does. Applying broadly is good, but don't downplay the human part of it. My grandparents used to own a RV business in Ocala, one day a guy showed up riding a bike to the front of their business asking if they were hiring. They weren't looking for anyone at the time, but as my grandma said, anyone who is willing to ride a bike around to find a job is someone who is really willing to work. She hired him on the spot and he has been at the business ever since (like 20 years). It won't work for a big company usually, but it doesn't hurt either. Resume, suit, in person meeting. Its a lot faster than applying online and waiting.

That rv story is a great one.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, some I have looked into for sure already and have applied. In other news, I have my face to face interview(after a phone interview) with an insurance agent not terribly far from my house. We've discussed my minimal salary range I am seeking and is still interested. Additionally, he would help me with getting my life and health insurance licenses, so that will be cool to have too.

Still gonna look for work, and not throw all my eggs in one basket. And if I get this job, I'll still shoot for something part time as well. Trying to get my GRIND ON!
Lake City? Meth or crack sales should be booming.
Florida Blue is getting ready to do a mass hiring.
Pages: 1 2