Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Well, It's Been A Good Ride
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For those who have been around awhile, you know I am a stage 4 cancer patient. Well, long story short, I am now on a new insurance plan (Medicare). For those who are unfamiliar with the insurance, there are parts A, B, and a couple others (D,I think).  Starting in August, I begin Medicare. The problem with Medicare is it pays 80% of the medical bills, and the patient is left to pay the last 20%. I have been battling stage 4 kidney cancer for almost 3 years. The 2 main medications I take to keep the cancer at bay cost $4700 and $11,800, respectively. If that weren't bad enough, I am losing almost 300 dollars a month for the insurance.

So, what does this all mean? I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of paying my medical bills anymore. I was supposed to have another shoulder surgery in the next few weeks, but won't have the money to do that. I also won't have the money to keep paying for the essential medications that are keeping me alive. Barring a miracle, it looks like I am nearing the end of the line.

I don't know how to feel about it. My quality of life has been reduced to almost nothing over the past 3 years. I have been on disability for much of that time, and those funds are just enough to  pay the monthly bills. I don't have the money to do much of anything else. I am just existing. That's no way to live.

I have a couple social workers working on finding funding for my healthcare, but they said to not hold my breath.

So if this is it, it's been a good ride. I had a good life. I saw much of the world, and had some very fulfilling jobs.  The downside is that I have a wife and family who love me very much. I have my dog, Dixie, who is my best buddy in the world. It's a lot to digest both good and bad. Since I just got all of this news today, I haven't have any time to really digest all of this.

All I know is that without my meds, it's just a matter of time. Hopefully someone or some group comes through to help with the medical costs, but I'm not counting on it.

So, all in all, it's been good to know each and every one of you. I wish you all nothing but the best.
Damn Dakota, sad to hear that man. I know it's cliche but, keep your head up, hopefully it'll all work itself out.
Oh Man, sorry to hear that......

I'll keep you in my prayers and pray for a miracle for you......

Just spend the time with your family for now and enjoy life......

I really don't know what to say to you about this.........
crap man. only real health option is a special needs medicare advantage plan that covers what I'm assuming you are saying is end stage renal disease, those are pretty rare.

What is your zip code? I don't think it will help but I can atleast verify if there are any special needs plans for you.. sadly 49/50 times it seems like ESRD doesn't let you get a plan that could help you some. Have you tried to get a prescription drug plan? or do they say no as well?
Well, [BLEEP]. Thoughts and prayers my friend. I remember when you had the username Dakota. I can't remember what that name was, but I remember you. Some good times back in the day.
So sorry to hear that Dakota. I've always enjoyed your takes on the board.

Sad that the healthcare system puts people in this position. I'm not a religious person, but I really hope you can find the help, and peace that you need. Believe me, if I had the means to help financially I would in a heartbeat.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Dakota. Please keep us updated to the best of your ability under the very difficult situation.
Start sourcing your meds across borders if possible. For all this country does right our medical system is a joke.

Keep fighting the good fight.
(07-25-2017, 05:05 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]For those who have been around awhile, you know I am a stage 4 cancer patient. Well, long story short, I am now on a new insurance plan (Medicare). For those who are unfamiliar with the insurance, there are parts A, B, and a couple others (D,I think).  Starting in August, I begin Medicare. The problem with Medicare is it pays 80% of the medical bills, and the patient is left to pay the last 20%. I have been battling stage 4 kidney cancer for almost 3 years. The 2 main medications I take to keep the cancer at bay cost $4700 and $11,800, respectively. If that weren't bad enough, I am losing almost 300 dollars a month for the insurance.

So, what does this all mean? I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of paying my medical bills anymore. I was supposed to have another shoulder surgery in the next few weeks, but won't have the money to do that. I also won't have the money to keep paying for the essential medications that are keeping me alive. Barring a miracle, it looks like I am nearing the end of the line.

I don't know how to feel about it. My quality of life has been reduced to almost nothing over the past 3 years. I have been on disability for much of that time, and those funds are just enough to  pay the monthly bills. I don't have the money to do much of anything else. I am just existing. That's no way to live.

I have a couple social workers working on finding funding for my healthcare, but they said to not hold my breath.

So if this is it, it's been a good ride. I had a good life. I saw much of the world, and had some very fulfilling jobs.  The downside is that I have a wife and family who love me very much. I have my dog, Dixie, who is my best buddy in the world. It's a lot to digest both good and bad. Since I just got all of this news today, I haven't have any time to really digest all of this.

All I know is that without my meds, it's just a matter of time. Hopefully someone or some group comes through to help with the medical costs, but I'm not counting on it.

So, all in all, it's been good to know each and every one of you. I wish you all nothing but the best.

Dakota, your story touches on part of the reason I wanted Bernie Sanders as president. There should never be a question of someone being able to afford critical medical care in the wealthiest nation on Earth.

I'd suggest taking jagwired's advice and looking into Canadian meds as their nation took the step of controlling predatory greed from the pharmaceutical industry complex years ago and they're much better off for it.
(07-26-2017, 10:16 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Start sourcing your meds across borders if possible. For all this country does right our medical system is a joke.

Keep fighting the good fight.

I am guessing if they cost that much, they just don't buy them across the border. Canada keeps cost low by restricting access to the 'latest and greatest.'

Dakota I am sorry to hear this brother. I know you have already been putting the affairs in order, but I pray that you and yours have the peace beyond understanding.
I cannot imagine the emotions you and your family are going through. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My thoughts and prayers are with you !!

I don't get it. I just spent a month in the Pittsburgh hospital visiting my mom who was recovering from a severe stroke. There were so many people on some form of life support just hanging on. I asked the nurse about it and she stated that she alone had 7 patients over 90 years old on the cardiology floor. HOW CAN WE (THE USA) EXPEND EXTENSIVE $$$ KEEPING PEOPLE OVER 90 YEARS OF AGE ALIVE ON LIFE SUPPORT, BUT CAN'T FIND THE RESOURCES TO ENABLE SOMEONE MUCH YOUNGER TO GET THE MEDICATION THEY NEED TO SURVIVE AND LIVE A REASONABLY PAIN-FREE LIFE MOVING FORWARD.

Don't give up or give in. There has to be something out there .... Sad
Thought and prayers for you, Dakota.

I hope you find an avenue for cheaper meds and help funding the surgery.

Please let us know if you begin any crowd-funding campaign - let us know where to contribute.

Here are some options and informative articles on the topic:

https://www.youcaring.com/c/medical-fundraising

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/cro...cal-bills/

https://helphopelive.org/illness-fundraising

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/...story.html
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said... so (((hugs)))
Dakota pm me. You probably can't get a supplement plan but if you pay your part b premium you can get a Medicare advantage plan that doesn't go through underwriting. To get one you have to get it before you get to stage 5 which is end stage renal disease. I am a new insurance agent working with Medicare recipients and have asked all my superiors about your. Situations and as long as you havent hit the esrd stage you can be covered and keep that coverage when you do get it. Also should be able to reduce your prescription costs because prescriptions are also built into Medicare advantage.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Don't give up Dakota. All my best, thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
I'm sorry to hear about this. Not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said.. but from reading your post, I see some positive things to reflect upon. Keep focusing on the positives you do have and the times you've had with family and friends. I know it doesn't help. But, if nothing else, you do have this outlet here to vent or get it off your chest. We're here for ya. Wishing you the best, man.
I have spoken to my parents about this. I have 4 parents, as my original parents divorced and re-married nearly 30 years ago. All 4 have done extremely well financially in life and want to help me out with this. That's all fine and good, but I don't want to be the financial burden that costs them tens of thousands every year. I know that they can easily afford that, but I don't want to be the burden that drains their nest eggs. My father says that there is no discussion about it and they will assume the duty of paying for my care. I just don't know if I can accept that. Call it pride. Call it whatever. My disease gives me a 6% or so chance of surviving 5 years. I am coming up on year 3. I don't want to see them waste their money on a lost cause. That being said, I don't think I am going to accept their help. They won't be happy about my decision, but it's ultimately that, my decision. I have no fear of death. It's much worse for the ones left behind, and that's the hardest part for me to deal with. But, sometimes you just have to look at the picture and say it's time to stop carrying on this fight. It has essentially ruined my life, my marriage, and most of my friendships. I am just existing, and that's no way to live.
(07-27-2017, 01:58 AM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]I have spoken to my parents about this. I have 4 parents, as my original parents divorced and re-married nearly 30 years ago. All 4 have done extremely well financially in life and want to help me out with this. That's all fine and good, but I don't want to be the financial burden that costs them tens of thousands every year. I know that they can easily afford that, but I don't want to be the burden that drains their nest eggs. My father says that there is no discussion about it and they will assume the duty of paying for my care. I  just don't know if I can accept that. Call it pride. Call it whatever. My disease gives me a 6% or so chance of surviving 5 years. I am coming up on year 3. I don't want to see them waste their money on a lost cause. That being said, I don't think I am going to accept their help. They won't be happy about my decision, but it's ultimately that, my decision. I have no fear of death. It's much worse for the ones left behind, and that's the hardest part for me to deal with. But, sometimes you just have to look at the picture and say it's time to stop carrying on this fight. It has essentially ruined my life, my marriage, and most of my friendships. I am just existing, and that's no way to live.

While I would encourage you to accept the help, I understand your viewpoint, and I know you've already fought hard for some time only to have more adversity.

I simply wish you love and compassion - one human to another -  and I hope you'll muster the strength and desire to keep fighting. 

Praying for miracles, buddy....
(07-27-2017, 01:58 AM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]I have spoken to my parents about this. I have 4 parents, as my original parents divorced and re-married nearly 30 years ago. All 4 have done extremely well financially in life and want to help me out with this. That's all fine and good, but I don't want to be the financial burden that costs them tens of thousands every year. I know that they can easily afford that, but I don't want to be the burden that drains their nest eggs. My father says that there is no discussion about it and they will assume the duty of paying for my care. I  just don't know if I can accept that. Call it pride. Call it whatever. My disease gives me a 6% or so chance of surviving 5 years. I am coming up on year 3. I don't want to see them waste their money on a lost cause. That being said, I don't think I am going to accept their help. They won't be happy about my decision, but it's ultimately that, my decision. I have no fear of death. It's much worse for the ones left behind, and that's the hardest part for me to deal with. But, sometimes you just have to look at the picture and say it's time to stop carrying on this fight. It has essentially ruined my life, my marriage, and most of my friendships. I am just existing, and that's no way to live.

I call it ignorance,  but who am I to judge? 

Please keep fighting...

BTW... don't care if I get banned.. this is Carrbombed...

Don't give up brother

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/drunk-...st-2729575

I'm in the same situation... it [BLEEP] sucks, but don't give up.

Cancer sucks
Pages: 1 2